PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 928S4 front suspension on a Bug?

SuperRSi
November 20th 2002, 00:26
I happen to have a complete front suspension from a 928S4 and am curious if anyone thinks it can be or has been installed on a bug. I am building a tube (Berrians) frame Meyers Manx so it would be a little bit easier than a normal car. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Randy

ricola
November 20th 2002, 04:19
Mike Ghia is planning to do this on his tube frame Oval. It is turning into quite a long term project though!
He's also using 993 rear suspension...
Rich

dobergoose
November 22nd 2002, 14:39
I've got Porsche 928 uprights on my car.
Dobergoose website (http://www1.freewebs.com/dobergoose)

kiwivw
November 22nd 2002, 15:29
dobergoose,

I've seen your website before.
Dude, thats some seriously nice work. :eek:

One quick question, with all the work going into the roll cage, how did you mount it to the floor? directly with plates or did you build some sort of rails running underneath?

dobergoose
November 22nd 2002, 17:16
well spotted, the cage isn't actually fixed yet and it will be with plates. It'll hopefully be at some shows in the summer, how finnished,well thats another story. Engine will be shipping soon, and the cage and suspension is pretty much all the work of Ross Morrison who's own racecar will be debuting in the summer too, makes my car look pretty stock.

kiwivw
November 22nd 2002, 17:33
Since you're already 3 steps ahead of most of us, care to comment on the wishbone suspension design thread.

dobergoose
November 22nd 2002, 19:44
The reason for double wishbones was pretty simple as its probablly the best handleing suspension and easily adjusted(look under almost every exotic supercar or racecar and you'll find them).
I started out not wanting to molest the split shell and have everything available to put it back to stock if I every wanted to, this lasted about 2 weeks into the project when the floor and inner wings got in the way. I think it would be near impossible to make it all fit without a bit of cutting here and there to the body.
Ross is the brains behind it all I'm afraid, he done all the designs and drawings which he adapted from his own hot-rod suspension set-up, just changed it to suit my bug, so I won't be much help with the measurments and angles or the theory behind it.
Wheel size and ride height were choosen and built around, as usual with beetles it all comes down to space. At the rear I'm using spherical rod ends for adjustment, at the front its the stock 928 adjustment which is pretty good for stock parts. The 911 rack was choosen, 1 cause there was one kicking about and 2 cause it has a very positive feel and quick steering (and it keeps it in the family).
If I was to start again I'd spend the extra and go for a tube chassis.
Ross is ment to be getting back to work on it real soon as my motor will be here pretty soon, and I blew most of my budget that was left on it.
Theres along way til its finnished. Front suspension and roll cage are next as they will tie in together.
Cheers Martin

SuperRSi
November 23rd 2002, 22:30
Looks like the complexity of this little Meyers Manx just went up. Any thoughts on suspension angles fore/aft (anti-dive angles)? Now for the decisions. Thanks, I think, for showing me your installation.

Thanks,
Randy

SuperRSi
December 11th 2002, 22:20
Any ideas?

dobergoose
December 12th 2002, 08:19
You should get in touch with ross at rmr here in glasgow, he's the brains behind my setup, you can email him at ross@rmrrestorations.co.uk