PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to rebuild Bembo 4 pot calipers?

randyj
November 21st 2002, 14:17
I have a set of 4 Bembo 4 pot calipers that I got from a 86 944 Turbo. Is it possible (or worth it $ wise) to rebulid these calipers to like new condition?

Thanks,
Randy

Pillow
November 21st 2002, 16:29
Apparently the rebuild kits are semi pricey ($80ish) but available (or used to be).

The local Porsche shop just rhows them away if they need rebuilt :goodness: Then again I guess most Porsche owners do not care about dropping the $. :silly:

Or take them apart very carefully, clean, and reassemble gently... As long as the o-rings are good it will hold pressure just fine.

Jim Andritsakos
November 25th 2002, 18:25
Randyj,

Why you want to rebuild them ?
They leak or just as they are quite old ?
If they leak clean them as better as you can with hot water and brake cleaner.Them inspect the body carefully especially around the piston seals as the corrosion here is usual.If they are okay spray some WD 40 around the bleeders and the x-over pipes and gently try to remove the with a proper tool.If they come out okay.If not spray them again and leave them for some time.If they seems rusty maybe it need to heat them VERY FEW.Also check the x-over pipes for rust.You need 4 dust seals and 4 inner piston seals for each of them.If you bought the parts directly from Porsche you get and the pistons.Replace them anyway.
Here is Mike site Brembo calipers rebuilder expert : www.prospeedmotosport.com he has all the required parts is very good prices and he can rebuild or exchange your calipers.

Rgds,

randyj
November 25th 2002, 20:02
Thanks for the information Jim.

The brakes look ok, they mainly need to be repainted to make them look new but I didn't know they needed rebuilding because of age. I have not put them on the car yet to see if they leak. I will know more once I do that.

Randy

Jim Andritsakos
November 26th 2002, 06:12
Randy,

You can easily check them by using compressed air and by inserting a piece of wood where the pads/rotor should to prevent the pistons to falling off.If the pistons move freely you are on a good way!About the repaint there is two types :
the easy one to clean the caliper as better as you can , sand it lightly with 320 grit paper to don't paint the brake pad area (around the pistons) and to apply by brush a suitable brake color by foliatec as an example.The second is far more complicated as you have to remove the brake pad plates (these bolts are often serious rusted out) , to remove the x-over pipes and the bleeders then to put brake bleeders in the 5 outlets of each caliper , mask them and send the caliper(s),and brake pad plates to media blasting.After that you can have them powdercoated or professionally painted by a two stage auto paint.After that you replace the dust seals and maybe the piston seals (if they are soft and not cracked don't replace them).

P.S. are they 86 calipers ? look inside the caliper halves near the pistons area and you should see two digits in a circle it is the production year : 00 for 2000 model.

Rgds,