PDA

View Full Version : metal- VS-fuberglass fenders as a replacement?

super vw
November 23rd 2002, 20:31
What do you guys think is better, fiberglass or metal fenders for replament of my semi-rusty,dented and cracked stock fenders on my 1303?
I would like to have them without fender mounted turn signals (shaved), can you get steel ones shaved like this for a 74 super in the US?

thanks!
Jon

NYBugman1972
November 24th 2002, 11:13
I have never seen steel "shaved" fenders that come that way for Supers. The standard fenders that you see like that are actually Mexican VW fenders.

I have fiberglass rear fenders from Creative Car Craft and they are as strong, or stronger, than stock. However, they are 1.25" wider than stock. I am unsure if CCC does stock sizes. If you go to another fiberglass company, make sure they are good quality. I have heard bad things about "innovations in fiberglass", or whatever they're calling themselves now.

If your fenders are rusted out or you dont have the patience, I'd go 'glass.

bug-er
November 24th 2002, 15:39
Id go for the fibre-glass ones if i was you alot less hassle all round, i noticed today that my cars got some stonechips (hmm carbonfibre stonegaurds?) on the back wings, and if they were steel theyd be rusting. So IMHO id go for the fibreglass.
Adam

ShApE
December 5th 2002, 23:28
also rocky mountain motorworks sells steel ones that are for s/b's .

Pillow
December 6th 2002, 18:14
CCC does do stock size fenders in glass.

Glass is lighter which is nice. Does not rust. And seems to be strong.

Really unless you are doing a wierd custom class that requires metal or it is an old original kind of thing I would go glass. Probably about the same cost as well.

super vw
December 7th 2002, 00:32
thanks!