PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian Por’Volks Festivial, Needs help or it dies

Mark the canuck
May 9th 2006, 15:20
I’ve got no problem hosting the show, but I just don’t have the time or energy to run the whole show by myself.
We need fresh blood.

I need someone to take over the show, I think I have a volunteer for these duties, but I’ve not heard back since he said he’ll do it. They must over see the show, provide proof (required) of event insurance, promote, seek sponsorship, arrange for food (I can get the food wholesale locally and delivered), arrange the event judging, trophies and any/all the other duties as required.

I need someone to update the show web page and one or more persons to go to the other VW/Porsche shows and hand out flyers and seek sponsorship.

We need 2 people to run the food…but I could get the lions club in, we just wouldn’t make anything off of the food.

We need several volunteers to judge and/or help with parking, etc.

As long as the proper insurance is in place, I also have no problem offering camping for the event.

Mike’s 914 has said that they will help in some fashion.

On the day of the show I can get at least ½ of last years volunteers back.
I can also get the PA system, DJ and I have no problem MC’ing the event if someone writes me a bit of a script. Porta potties, cost $180 last year, I can arrange this from the same company again.

Last years show cost me $1500 to put on and we made $1000 from admission and food sales. Yes, we lost money, but not too bad for a first year. I think the show could make money most years, to be put back into an even better show for the next year.

I would like $400 “rent” from the show for gas ($75-$100) to cut the fields and for a couple of loads of gravel/soil each year to improve the grounds. I feel this is not too much to ask for, yes the gravel or soil does “improve” my property (the back 40), but it’s all going in areas that I wouldn’t have improved (or cut) if not for the show. My time and labour is free, but I feel I shouldn’t be out of pocket.

Like I said, I have no problem hosting and helping for a successful show, BUT it has to have someone else (or a committee) to do the actual show.
If it dies, it dies… although I think it could be made into a great summer show.

petevw
May 16th 2006, 07:36
Hi Mark,

We were actually talking about shows this past Tuesday at the meet. We talked about your meet, and I said too bad it's not in the GTA. The GTA (Toronto) needs a meet. for example, the Vapor BBQ GTG in September was really big. It was only a shop that opened it's doors and held a BBQ. They had a burnout contest in the back of the shop, free BBQ, and alot of cars showed up. I think for a show to be successful, the car count needs to be there an dlocated in the GTA.

At the meet we talked about the possibility of a show much like the last Great Canadian Bug show. Area for the show cars, and a spot for the autocross. I don't know why this show fell off the map, I thought it was successful.

Another idea that was thrown around, was a Dyno day. I attended the dyno day at Fishers in Florida, and took my car down to Georgia for the other Dyno day, and had a Ton of fun! I think a event like that here will be very successful!

This should be a big one:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2611406

Mark the canuck
May 17th 2006, 13:03
Sounds Great!

When is your show?

Not trying to be a jerk, but people are full of great talk but then disappear when it's time to "walk the walk".

People can drive 2hrs southwest, but can't drive an hour east?

I can't offer a/x or dyno but we could offer camping, maybe a poker run....and even in the future maybe build an off road track.

Also I think why the Great Canadian Bug show died was site rental was just too expensive and unpredictable.

Here you have someone with a large chunk of land, that has permission, that is a bug guy, that would most likely 'forgive' site rental for a year if it was a washout, that etc., etc.

Not to mention the fact I personally hate parking lot shows. Even with an a/x they are hot and very boring.

petevw
May 18th 2006, 02:23
Mark, i re-read my post, and i wasn't trying to bash your show. Sorry if i came across as a jerk.

I was just tossing ideas around from what i've seen/attended. Just remembering the big VW shows that use to be held at the old VW office in Scarborough, and the dyno events i attended in the US.

Do you have a date in mind? I will be away for 6weeks soon. If i'm around i can help out.

Mark the canuck
May 19th 2006, 12:41
Things are looking up!

Looks like it will be the 914club members to the rescue, you can look at that thread here:

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51803&st=0&gopid=683478&#entry683478

I can't go into detail or answer emails right now as I'm quite busy with a 2.6L monster today...I'll post more tonight or tomorrow.