PDA

View Full Version : Parts for the 901 conversion

DORIGTT
June 28th 2006, 10:02
Hello gentlemen,

In trying to decipher the German language on your site I realize I can't!:laugh:

What components for the 901 conversion are necessary?

I understand that many conversions have been done with just a standard Porsche 911 nosecone. What is different about your nosecone?

Is the location of the transmission shifted forward to allow the Subaru engine to sit closer to the middle of the car with your conversion components?

What gets done about the shift rod that sticks out of the transmission?

How has your (Martin) 914 transmission done with the Subaru conversion? Do you forsee any issues?

Are there any modifications to ensure a better than average life expectancy for that transmission?

How about the shifter?

Thanks again

DORIGTT
July 1st 2006, 06:29
Come on...take my money...you can do it...I know you want to:bawling:

Bugat5speed
July 2nd 2006, 04:34
Hi Kevin,

sorry that Iīm not in the forum each day, but I was very busy the last days.

Sorry also that my site is still only in Deutsch. The site was made with a software which only allows a single language. They are just releasing (since 3 months) the version for multilingual usage. Please have a little more patience with me. Hope it will be managed soon.

Coming to your 914-gearbox (saw it in the transmission forum):
my nose cones are 30 mm shorter than the original ones of Porsche. This brings your gearbox-engine-unit forward 30 mm. In cases of type 4, Subaru, or other exhaust systems on type 1 you can not affort to come any millimeter back into the engine compartment. Thatīs why most conversions in Europe have been done with my conversion parts the last years.

The front traverse which is al. casted and heat treated is a very very stabile unit and allows the usage of engines with 300 PS and more. We already tested it with Subaru Turbo engines with such power. With this traverse the engine/gearbox unit sits very solid in the back of your car. The rubber blocks in this mount allow movements in both vertical directions. Lots of conversions were done with simple rubber blocks that are normally used for machines. They can only handle being pressed, but not being pulled.

For the conversion of such a 914 1.7 you need:

nose cone short
al. front traverse
pair of axle flanges
rear traverse steel powder coated
clutch cable connector
clutch cable mount
adjusted lever for t.o.b.
shifter
inside shift rod as 901-gearbox

The unit works excellent with my Subaru, but can also be used for all other types of engines. Have customers with engines with 2,0 litres upto 2,9 litres who drive such a 914-gearbox

If the 914 gearbox is revised once you wonīt have problems with it the next years. But be aware that synchro-units of 1st or 2nd gear are worn out in about 95 % of 1st gear and 70 % of 2nd gear.
If the 1st gearīs synchro is worn out then you need synchro ring, dogteeth to be shrinked on the gearwheel and the synchro sleeve which is also the reverse-gear wheel (this part costs about 700 Euro from Porsche).

The shift rod that sticks out of the gearbox (in the converted case the above mentioned inside shift rod 901) has to be connected to the shift rod in the tunnel of the car. This is best being done with the original Porsche shift coupler. With my shifter the shift rod in the tunnel is being lowered to the ground. That means, that the shift rod in the tunnel does not have to be bend like with using a Porsche shifter. This is much better for the shift mechanism. Besides is my shifter much more precise than the Porsche-one. Not to talk about less than half of the throw of the original.

So Kevin, now you can buy, as you promised. Place your order with Alex at bugat5speed@yahoo.com (think you know him already).

Cheers Martin

P.S.: Sorry for my Deutsch-English! Some explanations might cause a smile in your face.

DORIGTT
July 2nd 2006, 04:40
Would you PM me the costs for these components?

Bugat5speed
July 3rd 2006, 04:26
Alex from Bug @ 5-Speed (US) will contacht you on prices.

Martin