PDA

View Full Version : everything went as planned...

vujade
November 26th 2002, 20:31
well so far everything has gone as planned.

My Boxter wheels arrived today by UPS at 4;30pm, as did my
Maxx Struts, Strut Tower Bar, Sway Bar & Urethane Bushings.

I was able to go get my tires installed right before the Tire Shop closed & while they were being mounted I picked up my brakes from the machine shop (they were being drilled for 5 x 130).

I just got home & ate dinner....not my work begins!

God, I love it when I plan comes together! :D

NYBugman1972
November 27th 2002, 14:52
Just remember to be methodical and thorough. Keep your head and everything will go smooth as silk. Go too fast and you'll make mistakes.

Believe me... I know...

vujade
November 27th 2002, 21:16
car (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vujade2k/lst?.dir=/71+1302&.view=t)

zen
November 27th 2002, 22:37
very cool. i got to roll mine out of the garage and onto the trailer to take it to paint yesterday. the wheels looked damn good in the sunlight.

what size tires did you go with? i am running 205/40 and 245/40.

vujade
November 27th 2002, 22:41
the rears are 215/40/17 and the fronts are 205/40/17

i cant wait to get them out in the sun tommorow if all goes well!

vujade
November 28th 2002, 23:40
I finished the front suspension today.... it took longer then expected, but everything went well. I was not able to lower the rear today, not enought time. Not sure when I will have time to do it. :(

So here is a couple of pics from tonite....
Updates (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vujade2k/lst?.dir=/71+1302&.view=t)

NYBugman1972
November 29th 2002, 09:03
Now THAT's what I'm talking 'bout! Nice job. Wait until you drive it. That's when the MaXX's really shine. How low did you set the front? Looks lower than 2.5", or is it just me?

Beautiful job!

vujade
November 29th 2002, 09:29
yea you're right about the settting..... I set it at 3"

I drove it last nite around the corner, everything seemed real tight. I didnt hear any rubbing either, which is a good thing..LOL

Sandeep
November 29th 2002, 10:40
That car is lookin real 'Mean' !

Nice job Joe.

Sandeep

vujade
November 29th 2002, 11:54
Dayligjt Pictures (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vujade2k/lst?.dir=/71+1302&.view=t)

chigger
November 30th 2002, 01:13
It looks very nice. Some day mine will move. I am glad the 17 inch rims fit.

vujade
November 30th 2002, 02:07
I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Although the car is being built for my personal satisfaction, positve reaffirmation goes a long way too.

The next projects on the chopping block are:

1. Body Color Europa Bumpers & Headlight rings
2. 4 Wheel Disc Brakes
3. 1.8 Liter Type 4 Motor

lightning bug
December 1st 2002, 22:30
Looks awesome!! Nice choice of wheels. I have the same. I'm just waiting to choose a front strut. Are they 17X7's all around?

vujade
December 1st 2002, 22:46
:)

Sandeep
December 1st 2002, 23:12
Its really amazing what those wheels and a lowering job do for that car.

Time for some 'BIG REDS' peeping from behind those spokes Joe !!

Sandeep

vujade
December 1st 2002, 23:23
Sandeep,

I hear ya man! I was looking at Michael Ghias site today reading up on 944 brakes conversions.

What I would like to use is the 968 crossed drilled & vented rotors with the Big Reds...looks like i can make it work on my 02.

I have to do more research though....

Supa Ninja
December 2nd 2002, 12:45
Joe I'm glad to see the progress on your Supa. What kind of rear sway bar are you gunna run? You are gunna love carving lines on the back roads!

vujade
December 2nd 2002, 13:07
Not sure about the rear sway bar, though I would like to run a Kafer Cup Brace

Supa Ninja
December 2nd 2002, 13:31
The Kafer Cup Brace is coming up on my list of to do's too. If you put the Topline 7/8" front Sway Bar your gunna need to put one in the back or else the oversteer will be very dangerous.
If your running a stock front sway bar think about the upgrade cause the Topline front S/B also fixes the caster change from dropping the front and doesn't put a big angle on the bushing for the S/B to control arm.

Nick

vujade
December 2nd 2002, 14:24
Supa

I did buy the Topline 7/8 sway bar, strut tower bar & also their bump steer kit as well.

Should I run a sway bar in the rear in addition to the Kafer Cup Brace, or will the KC Brace suffice?

Supa Ninja
December 2nd 2002, 17:32
Joe,
I'm no suspension expert but the Kafer Cup Brace just acts like a strut brace/ traction bar. It won't prevent body roll. I highly recommend a rear sway bar and then I'd worry about the brace.

Nick

lightning bug
December 2nd 2002, 17:35
Your brace MIGHT suffice. The brace is more for traction and tying the rear suspension in with the frame. Try it without a swaybar, if you have too much oversteer add one. This is something I've been pondering also as I have both the swaybar and the brace. Its going to be trial and error. You just have to be smart about it. Go to a parking lot or somewhere to try it out. Remember.. oversteer is always better than understeer.

Alex
December 2nd 2002, 17:36
The brace has nothing to do with a swaybar. They do different things.
The brace will tie in the tranny horns with the top shock tower for less wheel hop and the swaybar will connect both trailing arms with each other for less body roll depending on the stiffness of the swaybar.

I hope I explained it right.
Alex

Philippe
December 2nd 2002, 18:05
The Kafer cup brace also reduces body flex, sort of like the front strut braces on a super.

It will make everything tighter around the corners, but you will still have the problem of body roll without a swaybar.

On the volksworld webpage there are some videos of this silver superbeetle, and if its the one I think it is, he's running a seriously beefed up suspension, Heigo front stressbar, crazy heigo cage, and a heigo kafer cup style brace.

This guy is drifting around this circular track, his tires are spinning and his car is FLAT FLAT FLAT. Amazing.

http://www.volksworld.com/content/down/down01.html

the videos are Kreis Kuke & Kreis Kuke 2. ENJOY!

Alex
December 2nd 2002, 18:27
Cool videos....that Oval looked like the one from Gerd Weiser.

Alex

lightning bug
December 2nd 2002, 21:28
Originally posted by Alex
The brace has nothing to do with a swaybar. They do different things.
The brace will tie in the tranny horns with the top shock tower fro less wheel hop and the swaybar will connect both trailing arms with each other for less body roll depending on the stiffness of the swaybar.

I hope I explained it right.
Alex

That's exactly what I was getting at. I stress "might" because I'm still researching. I added a front (bigger) swaybar to my Rabbit and it was a mistake. Too much understeer. I figured its a bigger swaybar, its got to be better. wrong. Now I research things before I buy. Sorry to cause confusion if I did.

zen
December 2nd 2002, 22:22
so what is that nice big crunch :crying: about 2/3 through Kreis Kuke?