PDA

View Full Version : Lanner, could you make some camber/caster plates

Bug@5speed(US)
August 15th 2006, 11:20
Lanner,

Anythoughts to making some Camber/Caster Plates.. Maybe something that could be used on Maxx Struts or similiar?

Leverage some of that CNC capability you have..

Thinking out loud in between meetings.. :sleep:

I have seen two designs that work in the subaru world..
One is from http://www.racecompengineering.com/rceproducts.htm
Spoke to them but due to lack of interest was never fully pursued..

Second is a more common design but usually raises height (Cusco Design)
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/sale/Cusco/Suspension/Camber_Plates

Lastly, are Nice but don't know much about them..
http://www.modacar.com/products/Subaru/Impreza/HOTCHTFCP

Let me know if I need to take off line..
Thanks
Alex

flat
August 15th 2006, 11:59
Definately do-able. It's been on the back burner for a while now. My only issue is ride quality, because the stock mount has the rubber damper. I was trying to figure out a way to do it with the damper, but it's very difficult.

The solid way with a sperical bearing is not too bad. I made one prototype last winter (one way adjust for camber only), I'll try and dig it up.

Lanner

DORIGTT
August 15th 2006, 13:32
The way I see it Lanner. Anyone/most people looking at camber plates aren't necessarily concerned about not waking the wee one out back!

flat
August 15th 2006, 15:34
I'm very centric. Most of the stuff I design is for my car(s) first and then marketed to all. At least I can say that all my goods are given the most critical evaluation.

My 1302 rides very well, and I'm apprehensive to do anything to ruin that. I've got to actually put the sperical bearing plates on the car and then find out, or else it's all theoretical....

Lanner

Bug@5speed(US)
August 15th 2006, 16:01
Lanner,

Dig it up.. :)

I hear what you are saying about ride quality and NVH.. but as a race only part that is something that we have to live it..

Still interested and curious as to what you were thinking, Camber only works :) specially for us Porsche Spindle folks..
Alex

flat
August 16th 2006, 08:40
Lanner,
specially for us Porsche Spindle folks..

Bandage upon bandage:) .

Just kidding. I'll get the one I did out this weekend. I'll also work a production version. What kind of range is required? +-2 degrees or so? What is your current camber settting, and what are you trying to achieve?

Lanner

Wally
August 18th 2006, 04:20
Hi Lanner,

Camber I can set both on the eccentric strut bolts (Golf/Rabbit I strut) and on the original lower reaction arms of my 03. Plenty of adjustment range.

Caster adjustment however is not even possible at all right now, so personally I would rather rotate those top strut plate for 90 degrees and have caster adjustment for better straightline stability at speed.

While you're at it...:rolleyes: :D

Tnx,
Walter

flat
August 18th 2006, 08:08
Wally,

I'll try and make the adjustment both ways.

But, as a thought, have you tried the offset sway bar bushings? They pull the sway bar pivot forward, which will pull the lower control arm forward and afford a little more caster. I have those on my 1302, and don't have any issues with striaght line stability (upto 100 mph). If you 'overdo' caster, the steering gets really heavy. Depending on your wheel size and steering wheel size, it can be a bother.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Lanner

Wally
August 18th 2006, 08:34
Wally,

I'll try and make the adjustment both ways.

Cool, its always good to have adjustment possibilities.

But, as a thought, have you tried the offset sway bar bushings?

yes, I already have those installed and it does help, but it could always be better, especially if you have 18" rims with 225/35 tires :o

If you 'overdo' caster, the steering gets really heavy.
Lanner
Hmm, I didn't know/realize that. But you never know or 'feel' when you've gone too far if you don't have adjustability in that department :rolleyes:
I'll be watching your progress on this part with much interest.
Thanks!
Walter