PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Spindles etc

richiep
November 28th 2002, 09:36
Hi, first off I'd like to say what a great resource this forum is, especially to someone new to VW tuning like myself. This is my first post so if I'm not doing anyhting right could somebody please mail me and advise me of the correct 'nettiquet'.

I am looking at dropping the front of my ball joint bug and am thinking of using CB dropped spindles. My question is does anyone out there know how much they increase the front track by? My aim is to get dropped spindles, kerscher vented disks and 5.5inch 911 fuchs wheels under standard wings (fenders) without narrowing the beam. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

57mutant
November 28th 2002, 10:10
Welcome
You should have no trouble with your set up. I'm not sure how much it will increase the track. I'm also using the CB drop spindles and ventilated Kerscher front disc (with a Porsche 944T rear caliper) with no problems. I'm running 17 x 7.5 Cup II's with 205 x 40 rubber on them. I believe the offset on the front rims was 52mm. The only mods I.m making are to shave the outer edge of the shock tower, and pinch in the inner edge of the stock wings. There are lots of combinations that will work under the stock wings, check out some of the members rides. Good luck.

vujade
November 28th 2002, 10:13
I believe the CB dropped spindles widen the track by a 1/4" per side. (around 6mm)

I have also asked myself about the kerscher Discs and was told they widen the track by about 4mm. Though I cant confirm this myself.

I hope this helps...:)

BTW Welcome to the site!

Sandeep
November 28th 2002, 10:37
I can CONFIRM that the CB Dropped spindles increase the front track by 6mm. Check out my 993TT Brake article on the main site. There are some more vital dimensions listed there.

Sandeep

richiep
November 28th 2002, 10:59
Cheers for the info guys. Think I will order the spindles and brake kit. Need to decide on Fuchs or Mahles first though...

chigger
November 28th 2002, 11:26
The Fuchs came with different off sets. The stock bug is about 23mm. The early narrow fuchs probably have 23mm offset also. On the back of the rim there is a code, something like this 5.5j x15et23. The et is not on all the rims, it appears to have shown up later. The et code is the offset. My friend is running a set of EMPIs and the offset is different from a bugs as they stick out farther that the bugs and are only 1/2 inches wider. The Fuchs would probably be the least problem to fit. Hope it helps.

richiep
November 28th 2002, 11:34
Cheers,

think I need have a look on the wheels forum now!