PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who drive Porsche shifters

Bugat5speed
September 7th 2006, 13:27
Hi,

it´s not the typical product for the Bug-scene, but some of you might be interested in it. Besides my Beetle shifter for Porsche 5-speed I´ve engineered a new shifter for old Porsche 911 and 914 in the last months. This shifter has the same features like my Beetle-shifter, but is a complete different product. It can substitute the original shifter in Porsche 911 until 1985 and in 914s 1 : 1. For this I made a new die (or mould - don´t know the correct word) for the housing of the shifter. Some parts of the technique inside had to be made new also. The shifter works excellent and has only half throw of the original Porsche shifter. Especially for 901 and 914 it is a dream to shift from 1st into 2nd (big problem with the original shifters).

Coming to the point:

The shifter can also be used for Beetles with 901/914/915 gearboxes, where a Porsche shifter was already installed and gives all these advantages to you, that make my shifters that good. The shifter comes with sand blasted or powder coated surface, with a leather boot and a polished aluminium knob. The sales price for this high precision part in germany is 495 Euro. Export to the US is without 16 % VAT. For orders coming in during September I give a market launch discount of 10 % on the net-price (f.e to the US 384 Euro plus freight).
Will try to attach a photo, or 2-3.

Martin
Bug @ 5-Speed
www.bugat5speed.de
info@bugat5speed.de

Twystd1
September 8th 2006, 06:54
I tried to contact you some months ago. I was waiting for this..!!!!!!!!

You may want to go over to www.914club.com and register as regular user and introduce yourself.

Most 914 owners in the US either use the RennShift short throw shifter from Jwest engineering. (www.rennshift.com) or they use junk short shift kits that work with the factory shifter.

A new addition to the shifter menu would be good for all of us.

Does your shifter have any kind of reverse lock-out?

Or is it simply detented out of the pattern with springs?

If my memory is correct you also have a tail shift kit of some sort that looked interesting.

By the way.. if ya go to the 914club board. Let them know I suggested you post over there.

As it is the largest membership driven 914 BBS in the world.

Regards and best of luck..!!!

Clayton Clark

AKA Twystd1

Bug@5speed(US)
September 8th 2006, 09:53
Clayton we will be doing that asap.. That was actually the plan.. Martin had advertised there intially, and I will be following up for him.

Concerning your questions:
Does your shifter have any kind of reverse lock-out?
Yes, there is a spring gate. Spring pressure must be overcome to get into reverse..

Or is it simply detented out of the pattern with springs?
Not sure what you mean by detented? I will include bigger pic on club914 showing the gate better. If you PM your email address I can also send you the pics.

If my memory is correct you also have a tail shift kit of some sort that looked interesting.
Are you referring the the shortened nosecone? If yes, let me know and I can get you more info or pics.

By the way.. if ya go to the 914club board. Let them know I suggested you post over there.
Will do.. Its always easier if someone opens a door for you..

Will get over and take care of business tonight..
Thanks
Alex

Twystd1
September 17th 2006, 04:35
Kewl Alex..!!!

I will PM you my e-mail data.

And PLEASE do send me some pics for any of the 914 goods you have for sale.

I suggest you try to sell 1 or 2 shifters at cost or simply LOAN one of your shifters to one of the club members. (I have names that will help you)

If it works as advertised and one of the KNOWN members writes a positive report .
Your credibility and ability to sell your shifters and other 914 parts will go well.

The 914club members are so well versed on "What Works".

It is sometimes difficult to get anyone to try a new part.

All you need is a couple good reviews and you will probably sell the hell out of them.

Your only competition is the James West shifter. And it is a very nice shifter.

I have one. It's a nice piece.

Let me know if ya need help. I support ALL GOOD 914 vendors.

We need more of you guys in our world. !!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Clayton Clark

Bug@5speed(US)
September 17th 2006, 19:28
Got your email..

Will follow-up in a day or two.. Had a hell of a weekend, my 1 yr spent the weekend in the hospitol due to bronchitis like symptoms :( so we are pooped..

He is back home so now the catch up begins..

We will talk just give me a few..
VR
Alex

Bug@5speed(US)
February 12th 2007, 22:25
Here are some pics finally

If you have a 911 base this will make a nice swap ;)

VR
Alex

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/bugat5speed_US_photos/Schalth_Po_290806_3.jpg~original

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/bugat5speed_US_photos/Schalth_Po_290806_2.jpg~original

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/bugat5speed_US_photos/911baseshifter.jpg~original

Zman
February 26th 2007, 15:29
Will this round shift knob fit the VW one you make? This would be the a good touch to that shifter. Also wondered if you made a taller shift rod for the VW one? Would be nice to have it just a little closer to the steering wheel. So maybe an 1 1/2 inch taller?

Thanks,

Gary

Bug@5speed(US)
February 26th 2007, 22:49
Will look into it..

VR
ALex

Bug@5speed(US)
February 27th 2007, 22:57
Gary,

Yes on Ball, about 30 bucks or so..

Extra long shifter, not at this time.. Maybe down the road we can get a few folks (at least 5) and do a limited run..

Keep me posted..

Martin should be touching base with you soon..
Alex

GS guy
March 1st 2007, 10:16
Alex,
What's the going rate for one of these shifters in $$?

I'm likely going to be using an aftermarket shifter in my Deserter buggy with 914 trans. I have an OEM 914 shifter now that will be rebuilt and re-bushed and used initially. Down the road a ways I'll probably be looking to upgrade.

Jeff

Zman
March 1st 2007, 21:52
Alex, I sent a PM. Thanks Gary