PDA

View Full Version : Need confirmation about which m/c to use

djmatio
September 21st 2006, 01:35
Hello,

Doing a search tells me that people are using either the standard super master cyclinder or the 944 n/a m/c after doing a disc brake upgrade.

I have a '72 1302 with 1986 944 turbo calipers and discs and would like to know which m/c to use. I do not have the 944 m/c. Which should i use? If the 944 is suggested, is it off the n/a or turbo car?

thanks

Wally
September 21st 2006, 06:48
Hello,

Doing a search tells me that people are using either the standard super master cyclinder or the 944 n/a m/c after doing a disc brake upgrade.

I have a '72 1302 with 1986 944 turbo calipers and discs and would like to know which m/c to use. I do not have the 944 m/c. Which should i use? If the 944 is suggested, is it off the n/a or turbo car?

thanks
Like search showed you already, different people report good results with all of the mentioned M/C's.
I guess YOU will have to decide for yourself who gets closest to your set-up, who to believe and/or what to mount first time. Its all custom what you do anyways, so there is no generic answer for your q's imho.
I personally have the best results with a stepped 944 M/C with reverse mounted (front x rear) brake lines... A brake balance device would fine-tune it even more.

ricola
September 21st 2006, 08:45
Try the standard one first, you have nothing to lose and the bits are already there! I am very happy with the stock m/c with 996 brakes..
Rich

Wally
September 21st 2006, 08:49
Try the standard one first, you have nothing to lose and the bits are already there! I am very happy with the stock m/c with 996 brakes..
Rich
Funny, I used the stock one also first and it worked great. Its only the bad brake balance of that combo that decided me to use a stepped brake M/C.
The reason the 996 brakes work better with regard to brake balance is probably because of the similar engine/weight layout of a 911 against a 944 compared to a beetle's

djmatio
September 21st 2006, 15:02
thank you for your input gentlemen :)

-matt

Chisel86
September 21st 2006, 17:28
This is the set-up that I am about to install. Are you using the stock super beetle m/c? I've heard that it works fine.

Bullyboy
September 22nd 2006, 18:36
I personally have the best results with a stepped 944 M/C with reverse mounted (front x rear) brake lines

I have wondered about that??
the front NA944 caliper cylinder is much bigger than the rear. So why would you switch the front for the rear on the M/C if the larger section is feeding the fronts? I am just assembling mine with a 944 M/C now so some confirmation would be good:D

Chisel86
September 25th 2006, 12:08
I think he ment that he switched the brake lines front and rear, not the calipers. Maybe?

Bullyboy
September 25th 2006, 13:06
I know that part, just wondering why???

Chisel86
September 25th 2006, 13:12
Maybe length? I dunno. I'm using steel braided ones made for the Super.