PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do the conversion?

samcat
November 30th 2002, 08:54
I have a 1973 1303 Superbeetle. The one with the curvy windscreen. The suspension is the three bolt fitting type, and I am running Kerscher narrow front suspension and kerscher/koni rear dampers.
I want to upgrade my braking to units from a porsche, preferably front AND rear.

So what parts do I need, from what model and year(s) of porsche?

Lucky thing is I have a friendly porsche garage just down the road (5 mins walk!), he's independant (not a dealership) but gets tons of good bits in/passing through. So I should be able to source whats needed :D

Cheers for the help,

Sam Catchesides,
Bristol,
UK

Martice
December 1st 2002, 15:08
HI Samcat,

according to Michael Ghia site :
http://www.performanceghia.com/

a list of parts for the conversion:
"
4 disks
4 hubs
4calipers(single pot)
2 rear backing plates/caliper mounting brackets
2 N/S 944 handbrake cables
2 beetle hand brake cables
2 crimp-on ends from Speedy Cables
2 cb performance dropped spindles
one set of beetle bearings
one set of bearings adapters
2 hub seals"

Thats for the early brake setup, witch should give you enought braking power :)

check his site its great info!

PS: very nice car you have, how much did you payed for thouse Jag seats?

Martin

samcat
December 2nd 2002, 05:31
PS: very nice car you have, how much did you payed for thouse Jag seats?

I paid £400 (Sterling) for the pair. Similar price as a pair of cheap recaro's :D Wont get anymore at that price!

& cheers for the info, didnt think of looking on performance Ghia. The engine and gearbox in my bug used to belong to Mike Ghia, so I am familiar with his work :D
Cya,
Sam C

Martice
December 2nd 2002, 05:37
Yes.. you are lucky...many options in UK..I am looking for better brakes for my bug too, but had no luck so far with 944s...

Martin

Martice
December 2nd 2002, 05:56
Hey,

I just got a new job and I am goning to do some training in England.don't know where and when yet, but once I get there I hope to get in touch with some of you guys! Very nice beetles in UK indeed... :)

take care,

Martin