PDA

View Full Version : 944 Turbo Calipers w/Kerscher Rotors

vujade
November 30th 2002, 13:22
Alex,

in your 944 disc brake tech article, you speak of using Kerscher Rotors with 944 Turbo Calipers & CB Dropped Spindles for a standard T1 Beetle....I was wondering about doing this on a Super?

According to the CSP adverts, The Kerscher Disc Brake kits can also be used with Super Beetles (you need SB disc brake spindles or a drum adapter), so keeping that in mind then, I should be able to do this conversion using their Kerscher rotors, 944 Turbo Calipers & SB disc spindles.

what do you think?

also has anyone else tried this on a Super?

Alex
November 30th 2002, 13:30
I think that you can do it but my knowledge about Supers is limited.
The caliper you should use is the rear 944 Turbo caliper. I tested that with Carl's (57Mutant) Kerscher setup. The thing that you need to figure out is the caliper bracket that you need to fab.

What about a 944 setup all around....wouldn't that be a lot easier for a Super? There is on ebay for little money. Just a thought.

Alex

vujade
November 30th 2002, 13:33
I want to do turbo 944 in the rear, but I dont think that I can do 944 in the front because of it being an early super. I would need to change to the later 03 suspension. This is not an option seeing how I just bought all new 02 suspension components.

So I figured the Kerscher/944 conversion would be the next best thing for the front. As you stated this should also make it easier then some of the other 944 conversions in your tech article.

Alex
November 30th 2002, 13:57
You will end up with a smaller brake in the front compared to the 944 Turbo rear. I believe the disk thickness of the Kerscher rotor is not the same as the 944 rear disk. I think it should be more like 22mm instead of the 24mm Porsche disk.

If you get the Kerscher or even the CB roto hub rear disk you will have enough brake power.

vujade
November 30th 2002, 14:02
thats another option that I thought of....

using the Kerscher/944 combo front and rear

Alex
November 30th 2002, 14:12
I would go the Kerscher route with the options you have.
I would not even do the Porsche 944 Turbo calipers now.
You can do those another time unless there is someone that can supply you with measurements for the caliper bracket to get them machined.

Just my opinion,
Alex

vujade
November 30th 2002, 14:51
well it would definitely be easier to go with Kerscher kits all the way around....:)

chigger
December 2nd 2002, 00:12
When I asked CSP about the rotors they said they were .8 inches thick. I don't know what that is in mm. This is the same thickness as the early 944 standard rotors. The rears bolt right up. The fronts will need an adapter anyway you go and the front 944s are quite big. The drum brake spindle is the easiest to adapt. Just some ideas.

typ4boy
December 4th 2002, 12:17
right fitting 944 brakes to a super, use the 944 front spindle if you have a late car i.e 2 bolt strut fixing, do the anti bump steer trick to the steering trackrod mounting point, and C.S.P sell a special ball joint for the long arm that comes from the frame head this will mount up the 944 spindle correctly. DO NOT MOUNT UPTO EXISTING VW BALL JOINT , they are smaller and will slop around and fall out NOT WHAT YOU WANT AT SPEED, regards LEE.

yetibone
December 19th 2002, 20:33
Typ4boy,
I'm glad you posted that last thread! I need a set of those ball joints. Who is CSP and how can I reach them?
yetibone

Alex
December 19th 2002, 22:35
Custom Speed&Parts at www.csp-shop.de

Alex