PDA

View Full Version : front brakes

Veedub
January 8th 2007, 23:46
OK the wheels Im looking into have and offset of +40-45mm and I am curious about the frontend. I have a 72 Standard bug. I was wondering if I could stay with drums front an rear with 15 or 16" wheels with a 6.5-7" width ( im not really a fan of fiberglass fenders) the rear should be fine though. The motor is going to be basically stock (for now anyways, it will be a 1915cc one day though), my question is would disc brakes up front make my frontend stick to far out my fenders or even up to the fenders?THe disc brake kit i seen was in cip1 and Im not sure if I would need them or not....i didnt know if this was asked before on not, i searched but all i could get was porsche brakes...:laugh:

ECBug
January 9th 2007, 09:09
Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.

Veedub
January 9th 2007, 22:36
Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.

cool, for the frontend, with the disc brakes could i use a rim with a 38mm offset or do i still need the 40mm-55mm offset for front also, even with disc brakes and drop spindles, sine they do change the offset too.

flat
January 11th 2007, 19:26
With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner

Veedub
January 11th 2007, 21:45
With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner

cool thanks now what if I was to go with 15x4.5inch fuchs up front and 15x5.5 or 6inch in rear, sorry for the stupid questions.....did i mention im still learning bout the ac world :D

flat
January 11th 2007, 21:51
The Fuchs will work with the stock beam. But last time I checked, 4.5's sell for about $US1200-1500 a pair.:eek:

Lanner

Veedub
January 11th 2007, 22:27
The Fuchs will work with the stock beam. But last time I checked, 4.5's sell for about $US1200-1500 a pair.:eek:

Lanner

reproductions sell for 159.95:laugh: but rear I dont got a clue what Id run 15x5.5's maybe :laugh: what could you run in rear on drums?

Veedub
January 12th 2007, 02:23
also same question about offsets with disc brakes but repro porsche 2.0 rims

Bruce2
January 14th 2007, 00:29
You do not need to chop your beam if you use 4.5" Fuchs. At the rear, stock 6" Fuchs will fit an IRS car with no mods.

Veedub
January 18th 2007, 00:04
Ok I decided basically to keep my current wheels BUT the only issue about them is there offset sucks, so disc brakes might not be and option, is there anything I could do to beef up the drum brakes?

you know lol for that sleeper look...:laugh:

Bruce2
January 18th 2007, 06:10
Drum brake upgrades are easier than you may think. If you can find a dead Super Beetle, they have bigger front drums that are both wider and larger in dia. The only alteration you need to do is redrill the backing plate's mounting holes to fit the pattern on your standard Beetle. You have to get everything from the Super, most importantly, the wheel cylinders.

The rears can be upgraded too. Find a dead 66-73 Type 3. Again, get everything off the rear of that and install on your Beetle.

Veedub
January 18th 2007, 09:12
Drum brake upgrades are easier than you may think. If you can find a dead Super Beetle, they have bigger front drums that are both wider and larger in dia. The only alteration you need to do is redrill the backing plate's mounting holes to fit the pattern on your standard Beetle. You have to get everything from the Super, most importantly, the wheel cylinders.

The rears can be upgraded too. Find a dead 66-73 Type 3. Again, get everything off the rear of that and install on your Beetle.

Could I get the super beetle front drum brakes and rear Type 3 drums new from a shop and buy the wheel cylinders new?Just wondering as I feel weird buying used parts, bad luck :laugh:.
Would this work?
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.46.4690
And with this Id assume Id have to get super beetle brake lines?
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.46.6586
and the drums
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.48.4700
Then for the rear drums would this work?Mostly because Type 3's here are a PITA to find.
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=6.45.4701
and this if I need it
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=6.46.4690

Thanks Bruce, I wasnt really sure if Disc brakes were the only option.I know the stock drums would probably give up with a 1914cc(something that will come way way later on down the road) 1 project at a time :D

would these drums change my offset at all if any?

Veedub
January 18th 2007, 09:23
haha or maybe one of you guys if your close to me, that has a super beetle and is converting over to whatever bolt pattern porsche? and you dont need the super beetle front drums will let me have them:D same with T-3 guys.:laugh: :laugh: Im in Orlando Florida by the way.:)

oasis
January 18th 2007, 11:45
Well, I didn't know Supers and standards had different drum brakes. Since Bruce2 knows they are wider with a larger diameter, that would change your offset requirements.

It pains me to see your request. I couldn't give away my drums when I did my brake upgrade two years ago. They are probably in some landfill right now doing no one any good.

If you are considering wheels with non-traditional bolt patterns, why not buy some blank drums and have them studded the way you want them? (I do realize new costs more than free ... I am just tossing you a thought provoker, that's all.)

wrenchnride247
January 18th 2007, 13:45
I have a set of front super drum assy... off a '79 vert. I put a top line disc kit and spring kit on for my father-in-law. Let me make sure there still in the basement when I get home... you pay shipping and there yours. ;)

wrenchnride247
January 18th 2007, 21:36
Veedub, I still have them. :) They were rebuilt not long before I did the swap to disc. You will need to clean and re-pack the bearings and get new seals. You pay shipping, and there your's dude! Here's a pic.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/wrenchnride247/100_1817.jpg~original

Also, I have a set of disc brake spindle's, caliper's (three of them), and backing plates. I can't remember were I got the third caliper from, but it's new in the box! All you need are rotor's (your choice of bolt pattern), bearings, and seals. These fit '66 and later STD T1's. $40 plus shipping and the disc kit is yours, or any one else. Here's a pic.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/wrenchnride247/100_1823.jpg~original

Veedub
January 18th 2007, 23:42
Sweet, I'll show my dad the pics and see what he says, hes not happy about the redrilling part that Bruce said would need to be done, and was like, just get ghia disc brakes but that would make my wheels stick out farther, along with the drop spindles.Which, makes me ask, since those are Super Beetle drums would I be able to run those with drop spindles, and will I need to do anything to them besides redrill the backing plate or whatever it was.And could I get away with super beetle drums up front and standard beetle drums in rear?Also if I get those, what all parts would I need to buy, master cylinder, brake lines etc. also do I go by super beetle when getting the other parts?
Thank you Wrenchnride. :D

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 00:26
Well, I didn't know Supers and standards had different drum brakes. Since Bruce2 knows they are wider with a larger diameter, that would change your offset requirements

Anybody know if theres a difference in the offsets with disc brakes and s/b drums up front, just wondering is all :)

Bruce2
January 19th 2007, 04:59
Could I get the super beetle front drum brakes and rear Type 3 drums new from a shop and buy the wheel cylinders new?Just wondering as I feel weird buying used parts, bad luck :laugh:.
Would this work?

The whole point of using Super Beetle brakes is to save the cost of new parts. It makes no sense whatsoever to buy all new SB drum bits when the cost of all new KG discs is about the same. The SB drum upgrade is excellent for those on a really tight budget and can find good used parts for next to nothing.

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 09:19
The whole point of using Super Beetle brakes is to save the cost of new parts. It makes no sense whatsoever to buy all new SB drum bits when the cost of all new KG discs is about the same. The SB drum upgrade is excellent for those on a really tight budget and can find good used parts for next to nothing.

I'm not really on a tight budget.I'm more or less thinking about my offset of my wheels,they stick out the sides and inch front and rear.Which wouldn't change my offset, is there a disc brake kit that does not change offset at all?
wheel offset 0 and 2inch backspacing

flat
January 19th 2007, 18:03
Anybody know if theres a difference in the offsets with disc brakes and s/b drums up front, just wondering is all :)

Basically nothing. It's within 1mm or so.

Lanner

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 22:01
Lanner, I don't know if you would know the answer, but my rims Im going to try to use are 4.5" wide with a 2" backspace not sure on the offset but would I be able to run disc brakes with them?If not I'm going to probably go with narrow rims up front and wide rims in rear, found a site that sells 15x7 and 8" wide stock chrome rims...:D If discs wont work I'll go for the chrome rims, which are probably heavy..but there cool

wrenchnride247
January 19th 2007, 22:47
Veedub, those disc brake parts I have are the "ghia" type... they work on bug's too. They are not "dropped" spindle type... so no added track.

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 23:11
Veedub, those disc brake parts I have are the "ghia" type... they work on bug's too. They are not "dropped" spindle type... so no added track.
ok cool, thing is im not really sure I can run discs with these rims, there a deep dish rim basically.American Racing has a replica of my rim see link
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=170&name=Ansen%AE%20Sprint&style=A69&desc=1-piece%20machined%20alloy,%20polished&section=V
only thing diff is mine isnt as wide.if i cant run disc up front with these im going with the stock smoothie rims. I just would like to know since my rim has 2inch back spacing...would a disc brake fit behind them :( id go with yours but i want drop spindles :)

wrenchnride247
January 19th 2007, 23:24
Veedub, That's cool (I have dropped spindle's myself :) ) I was just making sure you knew they are stock for a ghia. They should fit no problem with a 2" backspace, but the dropped spindles may hit the lower ball joint, but I'm not sure about it (I have 16's).

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 23:35
See thats what Im worried mostly about.I might when the cars ready, buy a pair of 15x4.5 stock chrome rims for front and widened stock rims for rear, 15x7's and run raised white letter tires and then front disc brakes.I dont think it would be german or cal look though.:laugh:

wrenchnride247
January 19th 2007, 23:39
I think it would be more "NASCAR Look" if you had yellow raised letters...:laugh: :laugh: But hey... its what you like, and that is what matters.

Veedub
January 19th 2007, 23:59
haha but yellow raised letters wouldnt look right lol my cars baby blue and almond white.raised white letters most likely wouldnt happen, never seen them on a bug, lol there has to be a reason, right?:laugh:

oasis
January 21st 2007, 03:34
raised white letters most likely wouldnt happen, never seen them on a bug, lol there has to be a reason, right?

http://members.aol.com/myherbie63/53fl.jpg

:laugh:

Veedub
January 21st 2007, 03:48

And that would be the reason....:laugh:

Veedub
January 21st 2007, 03:50

And that would be the reason....:laugh:
but in a weird way i like it...just not wheels and tires that wide, plus the disc brakes would work too.
know where to find one thats not a herby wannabe?