PDA

View Full Version : Std Beetle drums and MC.

zeroaxe
April 10th 2007, 15:05
Ok, I am officially pissed! And I am not referring to being drunk :mad:

I followed the instructions in this link (http://www.vw-resource.com/bench_bleed.html), but for the life of me, I cant get this spunge feeling out of the system. I have to pump 4 times before having brakes!!!! :mad: So, my question is this:

1. If you have done this before, please show me your setup, that you have 'designed' to help bench bleed the master cylinder(ie. bottles, tubes, the whole thing!)
2. What do you do/how do you go about taking your newly bleed MC to your car, and what do you do/go about preventing ANY air getting back into the MC?

YOUR help is needed because MY life is in the scale here(I have no choice than to use this car in this state.....)

Thanks in advance!

wrenchnride247
April 10th 2007, 20:27
It's best to do this with someone pumping and holding the brake pedal while you open the bleeders (starting with the passenger side rear cylinder). To do it by yourself is a PITA! One trick that can help is get an extra brake reservoir cap, and a valve stem from a mag wheel (the kind with threaded stem and jam nuts) Drill a hole in top of cap and bolt valve thru hole. Fill reservoir up, and put cap on. Now, you can put pressure in system and start the bleeding process. You will have to keep filling reservoir and putting more pressure back in of course. This may get you closer to firm brakes. Go easy on the air pressure though. Hope this helps.

zeroaxe
April 11th 2007, 16:49
Wrenchride247,

Long time no speak! Actually, I do have a pressure feed 'system'/reservoir cap that I 'pump' the system with about 0.8bar(or slightly less? Just enough to mqke the reservoir bulge a little). I qm just not sure wjere the air got back inot the system!? :mad:

wrenchnride247
April 11th 2007, 20:44
Yep. I've been very busy. Did you ever have a good pedal? If not, you need to keep bleeding everything. On a old project I did, I replaced ALL brake lines, and it took forever to bleed ALL the air out. I ended up getting a friend to pump the pedal while I reblead everything FOUR times. If you did had a firm pedal. Then you may have a leak somewhere.

zeroaxe
April 12th 2007, 00:51
When we bought the car, it had a firm pedal. However, after a few days the pedal went all the way to the floor. The guy did tell us that one of the cyl. had a leak. So I went out and got everything new. Pads, MC, SC's and new rubber hoses. The only thing that I didnt replace were the drums. And the only thing I havent replaced so far is the new hoses, which I would be doing this weekend anyway.

So yes, there should be hope! But with a pressure system, like an easybleed, I should have some luck, as others have done so in the past....:confused:

wrenchnride247
April 12th 2007, 11:18
The rubber hoses should be replaced before trying to bleed system again. Some EZ-bleed products work better than others. I have the one from Mighty-Vac, and it does OK (until your hands get tired). I've heard that the bleed systems that use a resevoir (like a garden sprayer) work well, but have not tried one.