PDA

View Full Version : TopLine to MkIV conversion

oasis
May 14th 2007, 13:58
I have TopLine disk brakes on the front and rear. They are studded to a 5x100 bolt pattern.

What would I have to purchase and do to convert the front brakes to a Golf/Jetta (A4) system? I am content at keeping the rear brakes as they are.

I am guessing I will save 0.08" on the offset from what your Web site says. Saving that plus not needing a 6mm (0.2364") spacer by using a 4th generation wheel on a 4th generation hub should move my wheels inward about 5/16" on each side.

Feel free to respond here or in a reply to my May 8th e-mail. Thanks. :)

Edit: I deleted a section of text which serves no further purpose. -oasis

wrenchnride247
May 14th 2007, 21:27
I think Lanner would be your best source for parts needed, or at least his ideas.

oasis
May 15th 2007, 08:09
I think Lanner would be your best source for parts needed, or at least his ideas.

That's why I posted here and e-mailed him several days ago. I will try to call if I get a chance at work.

flat
May 16th 2007, 22:15
Sorry, took a Texan trip last week.

Seems like the easiest fix is to get rid of the spacers by machining up some low offset hub caps so that it works with your wheel combination. Or ditch the stock bearing caps, and apply a thin bead of silicone when you mount the wheel. The wheel (with the wheel cap) will sufficiently seal the dust out. You can either then drill a square hole (drill and file square) into the wheel cap for the speedo drive, or make up something that can be glued to the inside of the wheel cap so the speedo cable does not protude through the cap.

Changing the brakes seems like alot of work (and money) for a clearance issue.

Lanner

oasis
May 17th 2007, 09:04
Sorry, took a Texan trip last week.
No apologies necessary; I figured it was something like that. I just posted here as insurance for me having the right e-address for you.

Seems like the easiest fix is to get rid of the spacers by machining up some low offset hub caps so that it works with your wheel combination. Or ditch the stock bearing caps, and apply a thin bead of silicone when you mount the wheel. The wheel (with the wheel cap) will sufficiently seal the dust out. You can either then drill a square hole (drill and file square) into the wheel cap for the speedo drive, or make up something that can be glued to the inside of the wheel cap so the speedo cable does not protude through the cap.
Sounds good. I will run this by my mechanic.

Changing the brakes seems like alot of work (and money) for a clearance issue.
I'll call you when I get the chance from work during a normal business hour. Since getting the Type IV, I have been playing with the idea of changing the front brakes at some point. The fender fouling came up when I needed new ball joints. Apparently, the aftermarket style differs slightly from the originals.

Thanks for the reply ... talk to you soon. :)

Update: The clearance issues have been solved. I still might want to upgrade the front brakes at some point but a few other necessities will take precedence first. When I am ready, I will call.