PDA

View Full Version : T2 Split Bus IRS information

Pillow
December 4th 2002, 15:55
I have been blabbing a lot about the future Beetle project, but on the side I have been working on a '66 Westi Split bus in a GL format.

I was really thinking of keeping the swing-axle tranny and reduction gear boxes and roll with early 944 brakes all around on 16" 52.3mm offset 931 wheels. Lets just say it is more of a bear than good to go this way, but possible. If anyone wants to do this please e-mail me and I can tell you all the good and bad of going this route.

Here is what I will do instead. Beetle IRS rear end running early 944 brakes and 931 wheels.

I spoke with Russell at Old Speed, very cool guy and knows his stuff. Here is what products he sells and how they work.

$75 Modified spring plates
$75 Weld in pivot sockets (where the control arm bolts on)
$130 SAW floating spline axles

What you need to provide:
-L and R - IRS control arms with stub axles and stuff
-2 - Stock shocks (Bilstein)
-4 - T1 CVs
-Rear brakes of your choice; Beetle, T3, or 944
-1 - IRS tranny
-New bushings for spring plate and control arm pivot joint.
-Late Split bus hockey stick and shifter nose cone.
-New tranny mounts while you are in there
-4 - New CV boots. Dare I say EMPI made in USA or German OEM.
-CV grease as needed.
-Tranny fluid, Swepco 201. Pricey, $50 gallon, but the best damn stuff around!

This will run T1 CVs in my case, but you can go T2 or 944 if you want.

The least drop you can go is 1" which is about what my saggy ass end bus looks like now :) So that is fine by me. You can easily roll 4" drop into it, but once you weld the pivot sockets in what got is what you got no second guessing.

The e-brake cables Russell had some interesting ideas, but I will comment on that later if it works like he said it would.

The rear swaybar, 18mm, I need to get from a 944 and weld some mounts up for it. Not sure if this is a later project or all at once kind of thing to do? We will see.

Sounds too good to be true. Still when all said and done it is not cheap, but should be a great improvement over swing axle. I am estimating $750 worst case. That is a seat of the pants estimate though. Not including the other $200ish I have in the 944 rear brakes that are ready to bolt on or the 931 wheels and Kumho 712 tires.

Speed... Um... Stopping costs money. How much are your legs worth? :eek: