PDA

View Full Version : Rear 993 calipers on the front

Ribz
June 16th 2007, 22:26
Can you use 993 rear calipers on the front end? would i run into any problems with fitment, is the offset different ..anything, any disadvantages. Anyone know if they are pretty much the same caliper?

The reason i ask is because i found 2 pair of 993 rear calipers for what i believe to be a decent price. they will be going a 69 square. i will post up a build up thread too but this time im going to wait until the title is in my hand, atleast this one made it to my garage so far..

TIA for any input :haveadrin
Mike

Steve C
June 20th 2007, 20:36
Hi

I used some rears on the front of my old 1302.

Steve

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/pb4.jpg

Chris Percival
June 21st 2007, 07:37
Thats what I'm doing...

http://www.fastbug.net/drupalfiles/images/DSC01154.preview.JPG

Ribz
June 29th 2007, 02:23
thanks for the replys guys.

I actually e-mailed Lanner too he said "The rears calipers in the front is not a good idea, I never bothered with it." but didnt go into it any further..

anyway i have a few questions for you guys..

1. what caliper bracket did you guys use?
2. what front hubs are you using?

Chris ive been looking over your site and is says you are using N/A hubs. (please forgive my lack of Porsche knowledge) Are the N/A front hubs the early hubs from 83-86? and Porsche started using a turbo in 1987-up?

just some FYI i got some parts for the rear this week, caliper brackets, backing plates and hubs :righton: :righton: its amazing how everything fits perfect, i just need to pickup some hardware, well and calipers, rotors, pads, lines ect.. :eek: luckly im going for a roller right now so that stuff can wait. doing 4 wheel disc brakes on 2 cars gets expensive real quick and im trying to get my iron pig to DD status so the square is on the back burner. well the side burner anyway :laugh: haha

BTW can you guys tell me how much the rotors offset the wheel? basicly i just need to know the thickness of the "hat", if that is the right term.

Thanks
Mike

Chris Percival
June 29th 2007, 03:32
This (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8735) thread might answer some of your questions.

Yeah, my hubs are from an NA 944 not the turbo, but I don't know the years. I believe the NA discs have floating calipers, where as the turbo has solid fixed ones. I don't know what the difference is. I have lost the link now, but somewhere there is a site detailing all the different hubs.

Not sure what the increase in offset is, I should measure it really! lol..

Steve C
June 29th 2007, 19:04
Hi

I picked my calipers cheap, the thing that appealed to me was not having to use very large and heavy rotors to go with them, we are talking about using them on fairly light cars after all. They performed great on the street and the one time I took it on a track they stood up to everthing I gave them.

Steve

Ribz
June 30th 2007, 15:07
so did you guys use rear rotors too?

Chris Percival
June 30th 2007, 16:11
Yeah, fronts are too thick...

Steve C
July 1st 2007, 19:02
Hi

I'm using early 930 front rotors.

Steve

notch11
August 28th 2007, 15:32
i'm confused why the calipers would care if they end up in the front or the rear?
they're just brembo 4 piston calipers....i used the rear calipers from a 95 911(993) on the front of my 90 jetta, with stock discs in the rear. for my notchback though i plan on using 993 brakes as they were fitted to a 911.....big ones in front with the axial mount. smaller ones in the rear fixed mount.

mabbo
October 12th 2007, 17:59
do any of you guys know if these would work ok with the kerscher disk? apparently the early 944 calipers pad is too tall.
do you think these would fit under a 15" wheel? they look pretty big...

cheers
mabbo