PDA

View Full Version : what shock absorbers with alloy A arms

GUTTERS
December 5th 2002, 18:19
I VE FITTED UP MY ALLOY 944 TRAILING ARMS AND SPRING PLATES ETC, AND I COME ACROSS A PROBLEM. THE SPAX ADJUSTABLES I HAVE JUST HAD DELIVERED DONT FIT, IE THE PORSCHE SHOCK BOLT WONT GO THROUGH THE BOTTOM MOUNT EYE BUT THE STANDARD VW GOES THROUGH THE TOP ONE. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS APART FROM BUYING PORSCHE FITMENT SHOCKS.:confused:

Wally
December 11th 2002, 17:49
Yeah, had the same encounter with the shocks lower mounting hole as well! Bummer!
Since the Porsche bolt that screwsinto the Alu arm was 14 mm and my Bilstein shock was (normal beetle size) 12 mm, I drilled the steel tube which is enbedded in a rubber, in the bilstein shock to 14 mm. Gets a bit thin, but it doesn't seem to matter, because its still fine and I have already done a lot of crazy things with the car...
I'am not sure if I want to advise you my way, but it works for me anyhow.
Walter

GUTTERS
December 11th 2002, 18:00
CHEERS WALLY THAT IS WHAT I WILL HAVE TO DO THEN.
:p

Steps
December 16th 2002, 21:57
Yay, I was going to add that I had somewhat of the same problem with a rig of mine. I actually took my shoks to a machine shop and had them bore the hole bigger, because I was a tad afraid on the alignment.

Wally beat me to the punch, and had a cheaper and faster solution for you! :)

Stropwafel fer alas! :p

Best of luck!

Jim Andritsakos
December 17th 2002, 08:47
The recommended way is to make some custom made studs with 14mm thread to bolt to the arm and 12mm after to bolt the shock nice and easy.