PDA

View Full Version : 996 brakes - which MC

Hoghead
July 3rd 2007, 16:14
I have 996 calipers and rotors all round and now need to buy the master cylinder.

While I have a 944 MC in hand, I am not sure that this is the way to go and would appreciate any recommendation.

ricola
July 4th 2007, 04:29
I'm using the stock m/c with 996 brakes on my 1303 cab and am very happy with the set-up...
Rich

speedy
July 5th 2007, 23:57
ricola gave me this same advice and after several attempts to get all the air out the system the brakes work perfectly well with a firm pedal , i personally think a 944 m/c willnot give enough feel before locking up the wheels , remmell reccomends the stock m/c on road cars anyway
hope this helps

Hoghead
July 7th 2007, 12:58
I also have a Wilwood proportioning valve left over from a old street rod project and was thinking of using this. Car is a GL Speedster with a Suby engine and 915 box, so a bit more rear weight weight in a 280mm shorter wheelbase.

Any comments?

Hoghead
July 7th 2007, 13:36
PS
Are the hydraulic line threads the same for the 1303 MC and 996 calipers.

ricola
July 8th 2007, 11:51
I'd try it all without a proportioning valve, if anything you will need to put it into the front lines but I don't think many people recommend that..

The threads on the calipers are the same as bug, so I just made up some new hard lines. On a torsion front I guess it is just a matter of choosing the correct length pipe (I believe the drum pipe is slightly longer?)
Rich

Hoghead
July 8th 2007, 13:42
Ricola

Thanks for the help. Have now ordered the 1303 M/C and will bend up my own lines
I presume that this M/C will fit my 66 pedal set.

Robert

ricola
July 9th 2007, 10:54
Not sure about the 1303 m/c fitting a non torsion car, the 03 has a different angle for the mounting bolts (on my RHD car anyway), I think the diameter is the same as a normal one so I'd just go with a twin circuit late one for a standard if I were you...
Rich

Hoghead
July 10th 2007, 13:15
OK, changed to a dual circuit std beetle M/C
I am in Canada now and parts are easy, unlike in Thailand where I live

New nightmare is that I too am RHD, and this is a LHD M/C
Are they the same?

ricola
July 11th 2007, 13:45
No, LHD and RHD have outlets in different positions, no surprise LHD is a lot cheaper!!
Rich

Hoghead
July 13th 2007, 13:03
All the plumbing needs to be redone and resevoir relocated. Application is in a GL Speedster so it is custom all the way.
No RHD available here and the Thai ones will be the cheapest crap available at the highest possible cost.

As long as it fits the pedal assembly will I be OK?

ricola
July 14th 2007, 03:28
I think the main problem is that one of the front outlets gets too close to the centre tunnel, worth checking... I'm sure they wouldn't have designed two different parts if one would have fitted both...
Rich

Hoghead
July 14th 2007, 12:32
Rich
My chassis is a tube frame affair custom designed by Rorty Design in Melbourne. Centre tunnel is a lattice work, round tube, backbone, design as I have no top.

Thanks a lot for your help on this and I will pick up a LHD unit while here and will take the chance on routing the lines.

Robert

ricola
July 14th 2007, 14:15
You'll be fine then...

How far are you wiht the project or are you just collecting parts so far? I miss my old scooby powered speedster..

Rich

Hoghead
July 15th 2007, 13:45
Was doing the IRS conversion and 944 trailing arms before I left. I need to use the Beetle VIN so this dictates rear engine and that small section of the stock chassis. If I did not have to deal with Thai registration issues it would be more like the Rorty mid engine Beetle design.

Moving on to the main chassis fabrication when I get back to Chiangmai in 2 weeks. A-arm front, rack and pinion, and coil overs all round so should be nice.

A long way to go, but I have pretty well all the parts in hand now, but for the front hubs from Lanner.

Robert

speedy
July 15th 2007, 14:26
hello robert, long time no see, you made it on here in the end then, I am now in america and stayed with jason (volkdent ) a few weeks ago hope you and the hog are keeping well
cheers jon