PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack ?

Rob
August 21st 2007, 19:21
Are there bike racks available for beetles ('70) ?
I know it's a long shot, but now that I finally have it on the road I might as well use it for 'normal' activities. I'd like to be able to take my mountain bike with the bug.

Rob.

chug_A_bug
August 21st 2007, 21:27
Hey Rob that's really Funny Becouse I really enjoy riding my Mtn bike too
but the Bug just wont care it and was thinking on making Something Up
so if your in lets talk and come up with Some Idea's I have a Few.

Chris.

Rob
August 22nd 2007, 10:01
I just remembered the old skool roofbars that you mount to the driprails, that's what we need.
Once you have that, you can mount a regular bikemount to the crossbars...

Question is where do you find a set of those crossbars as no modern car has driprails anymore....

Rob.

67ghiaTIV
August 23rd 2007, 04:14
Eric, user name 70 140 on the samba had a Thule roof rack that attached to his ghia. I believe it can still be bought, possibly even at Cdn Tire.

Jamie

Chris Percival
August 23rd 2007, 04:20
Easiest way might be to fit a towbar to your bug, then get a rack that clamps on to the towbar (like http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/thule-towbar-mounted-bike-racks.htm).

67ghiaTIV
August 26th 2007, 08:26
At cyclepath yesterday I saw THULE racks that attach to the driprail.

I also got a TREK 7.3FX as my commmuter.

Jamie

Rob
August 26th 2007, 09:02
Thanks guys !
Steve, a towhitch won't work on my car since the rear is all hacked up for the Subie motor.

Jamie, good call on the Thule racks, I found a couple on ebay as well, right now I'm checking fijiji to see if there is one locally. YOu didn't happen to see the price did you ?
BTW, nice bike !

Rob.

67ghiaTIV
August 26th 2007, 10:19
Yes, I did see the price of $300. I have no idea what was included for that price. A quick phone and you can find out. The one I saw was in the Brampton cyclepath.

Jamie