PDA

View Full Version : Fitted 17x7 55 ET wheels to my 1303

Steve C
August 22nd 2007, 18:54
Hi

I've just fitted some 17x7 55 ET wheels to my 2 bolt 1303 with disc brakes. I also fitted some MK1 golf camber bolts, so I pulled more negative on the inner control arm bushes then got it back to normal with the Golf camber bolts, this affectively narrowed my front track very slightly. I'm running 215/45 tyres all round that came with the wheels, the fronts just touch with a load so I'm going to fit some 205/45 s on the front which should help, the car looks a bit funny with the same size tyres all round anyway.

On the back I fitted steel 944 arms and brakes and they fitted up beautifully, no rubbing anywhere, the 944 brakes are supposed to give 26mm per side more offset, much better than running spacers.

Steve

Vdubjim
August 22nd 2007, 20:45
uhh ya and with what fenders, year brakes etc.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve C
August 23rd 2007, 03:32
Hi

Sorry more info, stock fenders, slim front struts, stock front disc brakes, stock NA steel 944 rears with Carrera 2 piston alloy callipers. This is my daily driver, eventually it will be my sons 1st car, leaving it looking a bit daggy for a while as I'm sure he will put a few scratches on it.

Steve

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/P8230606.jpg

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/P8230607.jpg

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/P8230609.jpg

vwbao
August 26th 2007, 12:50
very nice car not overly modified. did you lowered the rear end? it would be nicier if you put a kamei front spoiler aswell. any way thanks.

Steve C
August 26th 2007, 20:08
Hi

A Kamie front spoiler is on the list as well as some Hood jacks for the engine lid. The backend is probably lower than stock but not much, I just set the height so that the tyres had nice gap.

Steve

ricola
August 27th 2007, 05:05
Really nice stance Steve!
Rich

vwbao
August 27th 2007, 17:27
post a picture of your car here again if you already installed a kamei spoiler;)

Steve C
August 27th 2007, 18:58
Hi Rich

Thanks for that, my son is over the moon with this car, his mates at school are all getting dreary cars for their first car, he's the only one with a bug. Its a perfect learners car, heaps of grip and stopping power and low engine power. I have a 1776 with a few goodies that I can fit after a while, then once he's older a WRX will go in nicely. The paint is daggy but the car is rust free apart from a patch that I needed to fix under the battery.

Steve

Jeza
August 29th 2007, 04:33
Hi Steve

The car looks great!

Must feel good to be back behind the wheel of a super?

The Stud pattern on the wheels looks small, is that 5 x 100 (ex VW or Subaru?) Any change to the center bore on the wheels or hubs?

How do you find the brake bias, with the stock brakes at the front vs the Porsche ones on the back?

Cheers
Jeremy

Steve C
August 29th 2007, 05:02
Hi Jeza

I couldn't wait to drive a Super again, the good thing about it is that it has shown me some things that I will change on my other 1303 before its on the road, speedo position and fuse box position for a start.

The wheels are 5x100 BBS from a Subaru Liberty B4. I used blank disks on the front and had them studded to 5x100 and I also had 5 x 130 pattern done as well, just in case.

On the rear I had the 944 hubs and rotors redrilled to 5x100 and the centre locating hub turned down for the Subaru wheels.

The callipers that I used are off the rear of 1984-90 Carrera, they use a fairly small pad compared to the NA 944 and have about a 42 mm piston. They are made by Brembo, are alloy and are very light. I had to fit a shim under the caliper locating bolts to centre the calliper on the rotor and the very top of the pad just sits proud of the rotor.

Just after I fitted everything up I did a 2,000 k round trip and found no bias vices, if I jump on them in the wet the rears will lock first. In the dry I cant get any lock up at all, the just stops as if a big hand reached out and grabbed the car.

I'm also early Type 3 front callipers, these have a 42mm piston rather than the 40mm used on bugs.

Steve