PDA

View Full Version : Great Cruise!

gonebuggy
September 23rd 2007, 18:08
Thanks again Greg for putting on such a good event!:D

Grew in numbers and with a few changes from last year, made some nice improvements. Great little event to close the season (except for some of the more hardcores out there...)

Can't wait until next years!

Thanks again bro!

Alex

chug_A_bug
September 23rd 2007, 20:26
Hey Greg
Just want to Say thanks So much for Such a Great Event
It was a great route and alot of the car Stayed together :)
but it was Sad that alot of People Left early, So that got me thinking
we Should Set a BBQ up for every one and games or something.
I would Love to Pitch Some Cash in for Something like that,
Just throwing it out there lol
but again it was a Great day.

Chris.

TunedPerfection
September 23rd 2007, 21:37
My pleasure, guys.
Alex, some nice pics on your Facebook account. Doesn't your car look purdy when it's clean? Nice job shining it up.
I try to learn each year I do this. Next year will be bigger and better.
Chris, your idea of a BBQ is a good one. However, here are my feelings on that. Years ago, the Niagara Volks Folks used to have a fall color tour or something to that effect. Some people would drive ahead of everyone and set up BBQs in the park where the event ended. Then all the participants would bring a dessert or a salad, and the Volks Folks would supply the burgers and hot dogs. They did it as a rally style start, each car starting 5 minutes after the previous one. You would get instructions like I give out, but more vague, and questions to answer. So you would be driving, half the time lost, no other VWs with you, but scattered out there in the backroads. It was a decent event, but it faded away and then there was nothing. So I came up with this one. I don't have a lot of time to plan it out, and less time to really organize it. It pisses me off that no one from the Volks Folks/JBS has yet to come to my cruise as I supported theirs every year. But oh well. I didn't do a BBQ because I thought I don't want to ask someone to sacrifice the cruise so that they can prepare the food for the participants. And if we start when everyone arrives, lunch will take too long. And someone has to bring BBQs in a truck or something. So I thought, everyone bring what they want to eat. And buy it if that's what you want. So I am not counting on anybody bringing something that everyone has to share. Long story, but that's why I organized it the way I did. As for games, if you want to organize something for next years event let me know. I don't have time, and odds are I will have 2 kids by the time this rolls around next year so I will have even less time.
I do this 100% by myself. My wife came along with me once to scope out a route and write down some possible questions. If anyone has suggestions for next year, and wants to take the idea and roll with it, let me know. I would love to spread some of the work around.

Chris, I am not saying a BBQ is not a good idea. I am just saying why I have yet to do that. Thanks for throwing some ideas out there.
But as with the VW shows, lots of people don't stay the day, and those that do normally complain about how long a day it was. All I wanted was as many cars as possible to cruise together from Burlington to Guelph. And I had about 37 including me. If they stuck around for the drive back, fine. If not, as long as they came one way I was happy for that.

I am very thankful to all who came. What a sight that line of VWs was! And what a day for it! Keep those suggestions coming- don't think I am cutting them down. I am just explaining why I do it the way I do.

What happened to Sandeep??

petevw
September 24th 2007, 00:54
Thanks for putting this on again Greg. If you need a hand next year, I’m sure I can help. The cruise went well, had a good time. I didn’t make the downtown spin or the cruise back, as my buddy had a problem with his TDI at Subway, that’s why I bailed on you guys. By the time we got that sorted out and back to the park, everyone was gone. So cruised back home with Andrew in his ‘61 and my sis that was driving my Golf TDI.

We should have taken a picture of the GLr’s together. Almost everybody was out today. I was displaying my germanlook.com member tag thingy from the rearview mirror.

I really got a kick out of watching the train of Vdubs in the mirror. Quite a sight. Nice to see some waterpumpers. That stripped out MK2 Jetta with the VR6 stuffed in it, was really cool. Never seen a Puma up close, and we had 2 today. They came from Keswick.

Next year, I would like to set up vid/camera shots along the route. That tight twisty corkscrew would have been ideal. I did get a decent clip that I will post shortly. The food situation could use a little help. Maybe a little speech at the park of where food is available? Some of us are from the city, and don’t know our way around little towns.:D

Perhaps, a BBQ at the park could be arranged. But then again, I’d rather be cruising, then flipping burgers waiting for you guys to show up.

Sandeep?

I’ll post some pics soon.

Pete

Sandeep
September 24th 2007, 09:46
Hey guys,

It sounds like this was quite a cruise ... sorry I had to miss it. My two little guys were both down with colds and I had to take them to the walk-in.

Its funny with kids ... when one gets a cold, soon the other gets it as well.

Anyways ... lets see the video Pete !

Sandeep

petevw
September 26th 2007, 21:01
I'll get the vid up when i return.

Heading down to the H20 International show in Ocean City, MD. Taking the TDI as this will be waterpumper overload :agree: Leaving Friday morning at 3:30am and back Monday morning. 10.5hrs 1020kms one way.... :help: i have a sickness.:laugh:

Any other GL'rs going? www.h20international.com