PDA

View Full Version : 901 Coversion?!?

Primer73Dub
December 7th 2002, 21:41
Ok I got the suggestion to use a 901 5-Speed in my car. So where do I find these transmissions and how hard is the conversion.I am new to GL and don't know much about it so I am slowly learning. I am already looking for a good type 4 motor to build and the trans is the next question. So if somone can give me some info on how hard this conversion is, What is involved, and/or any pages that have details it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

zen
December 7th 2002, 22:45
you can find 901's on porsche classified sites quite often. also, there is a tech article on the install on the main page of this site.

Pillow
December 12th 2002, 18:30
This is not a novice conversion. And could be expensive if you get a bad tranny as parts are $$$.

To get one they are fairly cheap though as they came in early 911, 912, and all 914 cars. Probably a good working one should be 200-300 bones.

Again this does require some serious work.

chigger
December 13th 2002, 02:10
If you decide to go with one hold out for one from a 912 as they had a T1 style motor in the early ones and a T4 motor in the last ones. They would have gear ratios more in tune to the bug motors which you would use with them.
There are quite a few engineering issues and fabrication issues which are not for the novice. Put it this way if you can make T1 tin fit a T4 engine you can do it. Actually putting in the trans was easier.