PDA

View Full Version : Best pads for NA brakes on Full weight car.

Sunroof53
March 20th 2008, 18:47
Having spent loads of time converting my 66 bug to 944 brakes ,i can say the mod has iliminated the overheating of the standard disc drum set up .The only thing that lets it down is the overall pedal pressure required seems much greater .the braking potential has definitly increased but the pedal pressure seems high to get the results.
Can anyone recommend a set of pads as i am using APEC replacements at the moment.Are these replacement pads too hard now the set up has no servo as the 944 did?
I am still wondering about trying to use a smaller bore master cylinder but havnt found one yet with the correct volume dissplacment.
:lifting: :shrug:

Bug@5speed(US)
March 20th 2008, 20:38
Skeeter,

Not sure what kind of driving your doing but before I sold my track car (WRX), I had good results for DD, with carbotech bobcats, and panther (might be panther plus).. They had very strong intial bite, but I do find they dust a lot. If your doing HPDE, then you need to move up to their XP compound, of you are more advance then based on your car and need they have other compounds but they escape me right now.. Their track compounds I found to hold up well, but the bite took a little to get use too.

Another good company and compound for DD are the Hawk HP, if you do DD, then the HPS are good for both DD, and HPDE.. lastly they have full track compounds.

I have tried EBS greens, but did not have good success as a good DD pad or beginer track pad..

Hope that helps
Alex

Sunroof53
March 20th 2008, 21:09
Thanks i will search out a supplier for those .i never use the car on a track just road use for the moment .

flat
March 20th 2008, 21:35
The only thing that lets it down is the overall pedal pressure required seems much greater .the braking potential has definitly increased but the pedal pressure seems high to get the results.

Weird. What MC are you using?

Lanner

Sunroof53
March 21st 2008, 07:21
Weird. What MC are you using?

Lanner

Hi,I am using the 23/19 which was original equipment for the 944.i havnt changed it due to the volume issues with sliding calipers.i understand why porsche did it this way but then they also had a servo.

Steve C
March 21st 2008, 08:19
Hi

I remember reading about a mechanical brake booster for LHD pedal clusters years ago made by Helmut Horn, would one of these help with pedal pressure?

I haven't heard anyone mention these for a long time, maybe they weren't any good.

Steve

Sunroof53
March 21st 2008, 10:31
Hi

I remember reading about a mechanical brake booster for LHD pedal clusters years ago made by Helmut Horn, would one of these help with pedal pressure?

I haven't heard anyone mention these for a long time, maybe they weren't any good.

Steve
I have seen various remote servos but really wanted to steer clear of vaccum connections .Maybe the pads need a bit more use as everything is still fairly new ,although ive heard others with the same experience.
i'll try some different pads .i am now thinking that original equipment pads could improve things or maybe i expected too much from the conversion.

flat
March 21st 2008, 12:48
I've done 944NA brakes all around with the 23/19 MC on various platforms and really haven't had any complains with pedal effort, even in a 'heavy' car like a late model SB convertible. The 944MC in a bus is a little softer because of the slightly higher pedal ratio in the T2's.

I find alot of newer modern cars are overboosted on the pedal assist. I personally have a beef with the newer VW's (mk4+). The brakes are WAY too sensitive...you barely touch the pedal and everything grabs. I find it disconcerting to drive, so I stick with my daily driver Hondas. If you get out of your MK4 Golf and get into the old dub, by contrast the pedal feels like it requires a olympic powerlifters' quads....:). Besides, a booster will just make the car heavier...;P

Lanner

Sunroof53
March 21st 2008, 13:19
I've done 944NA brakes all around with the 23/19 MC on various platforms and really haven't had any complains with pedal effort, even in a 'heavy' car like a late model SB convertible. The 944MC in a bus is a little softer because of the slightly higher pedal ratio in the T2's.

I find alot of newer modern cars are overboosted on the pedal assist. I personally have a beef with the newer VW's (mk4+). The brakes are WAY too sensitive...you barely touch the pedal and everything grabs. I find it disconcerting to drive, so I stick with my daily driver Hondas. If you get out of your MK4 Golf and get into the old dub, by contrast the pedal feels like it requires a olympic powerlifters' quads....:). Besides, a booster will just make the car heavier...;P

Lanner
Hi, i agree with with what your saying ,modern cars take some getting used to as there is little in the way of pedal feedback as there is with non servo cars especially if you have power steering as well .i will give my car a little longer to settle in as it might just be a case of getting used to it .

Thanks lanner

Steve C
March 21st 2008, 23:39
Hi

I wasn't talking about a vacuum server, I mentioned a mechanical brake booster. I was talking about one of these.

Steve

Sunroof53
March 22nd 2008, 12:55
Hi

I wasn't talking about a vacuum server, I mentioned a mechanical brake booster. I was talking about one of these.

Steve

Looks interesting . Some type of compound lever arrangement .Looks simple too.

Steve C
March 22nd 2008, 18:47
Hi

I saw them in my early days on the net in the 90s, then there seemed to be no mention of them for years, your post reminded me of them. I was always curious to see if they could be made to fit a RHD car.

Steve