PDA

View Full Version : type 3 & porsche brakes ???

Thorkhild
March 27th 2008, 19:07
I have a late model type 3 front end (73 front beam in a '68) i have early 944 NA brakes taht i want to install. The type 3s have different sized spindles than their early, and type 1 bretheren. Also the late type 3 have the correct bolt spacing for teh calipers.

I know the "usual" way is to modify the hub to accept T1 bearings, But i don't want to move the hubs any closer to teh center. I was wondering if i could get sleaves to install on my spindles and use the porsche bearings.

ALSO: the bolt spacing for teh calipes is right, but it makes teh caliper mount too high above teh rotor. i was wondering if i should get adapters , or just remove teh existing mounts and re-mount so teh calipers sit at teh correct height.

flat
March 28th 2008, 17:30
I don't like sleeving the spindle for a couple reasons:

- the bearing spacing is wider on the 944 spindle thatn T1/T3, so the 944 hub will not sit right on the T1/T3 spindle.
-You will need custom seals
-The material hardness required under the bearing race cannot be achieved by installing a sleeve. In the long run there is the possiblity for the sleeve material to fret and generaly cause a mess.

You will have to cut off the T3 ears, and then machine flat for caliper bracket to set the 944 caliper in the correct location.

Lanner

Thorkhild
March 29th 2008, 19:24
So it might be best (and easiest for me ) to send my spindles and porsche hubs to you to do the necessary mods ?

flat
March 31st 2008, 21:52
It's your call. If you have the equipment and the time you can probably get it done. Else, I'm always here :)

Lanner