PDA

View Full Version : 17mm balljoint or a modified track rod?

Bobby74
August 10th 2002, 21:46
I am trying to put 944 vented single pot spindles/calipers/rotors, etc. The whole thing, not just adapters.
Everything it working out fine except the balljoint size. My car has 15mm balljoints. Do all years have the same size balljoints?

I am hesitant on making up a spacer (or having a machine shop do it) because of the possibility it could slip out, or break.

I have heard one extreme where a guy cut off the end of a Golf (Rabbit) track rod with the 17mm balljoint and had it professionally welded to the end of a bettle track rod. This gave him the correct size joints, however he had to get extended custom made tie rods because his were 1" too short per side. Is this also something to do with year (maybe he had a 1302 with shorter rods?? mine is a 1303).

Basically what do you guys do!? I know its not rocket science..

I forgot to add; Superman (it was you right?) suggested I get a Kershner custom balljoint that can be pressed in... I'm a little afraid it will be expensive, hard to get, and have to be shipped from Germany (exporting is a pain). I am looking for something a little easier if possible.
Thanks for the help!

Superman
August 11th 2002, 04:26
It comes down to two choices, make a sleeve or get the ball joint.
I suggest the ball joint, they are less then the price of your spindle falling off and crashing your car. I had them shipped from Europe with no problems and if I remember they cost around $60.

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/bremsenkraft/sleeves.jpg

MattKab
August 15th 2002, 14:39
BALLJOINTS BALLJOINTS BALLJOINTS

I used 17mm Kerscher balljoints, I think they were about £35, took 8.5t to press in. Use the Porsche bolt.

Although obviously tried and tested, I never even considered bushing such a stressed component. Porsche changed what they didn't like about Bugs. It's all to do with energy.....

The peace of mind is priceless.

The only way to go IMHO :coffee:

Would you tell your MOT inspector to check the condition of those bushes every year? :rolleyes:

I heard a letter was printed in volksworld about a 944 stub-axle coming adrift on a Bug on the motorway. Not good, I hope all is well now.

The groove on the stud has a critical radius, 5mm on the Porsche 17mm stud (M10 shoulder bolt) compared to a radius of 4mm on the Bug 15mm stud (M8 shoulder bolt). Also the distance between the centreline of the pinch bolt and the axis of the stud differs between the two. Think about how much of the bolt lies in the groove, not much if a M10 (even less if a bigger bolt is used with a 15mm stud, and the bolt hole centre is moved :eek: closer to the stud.

Do it once, do it right- but DO it!

'hope this helps,

Matt \X/