PDA

View Full Version : why IRS over swing

rip
December 14th 2002, 02:23
why would you chose a IRS tranny over a swing axle? What are the differences? Who would benefit from a swing axle transmission?

Are the conversions worth it, IRS to swing, if you dont have a huge motor?

And given that are there any ways to improve the ride of a swing tranny to make it safer? Aircooled.net sells a brace thing, and some companies sell straps for buggies to aviod axle tuck. What esle could help. Thanks for the help.

airwerks
December 14th 2002, 02:44
Better handling/ because of less camber change on suspension movement (IRS)

How low do you plan on being? swing gets into some pretty nasty camber if you are going to be down in the dirt.

rip
December 14th 2002, 02:53
actually I don't plan on lowering the bug, not in the back at least, but either with the years or PO, I think the bug is riding a bit low in the back, could just be me though. May raise it to improve it. But, do you really get that much better handling?

But, with a conversion to a type IV I think the back may run a little bit lower because of the wieght. I posted on the negine forum too, concerning about a engine brace or some thing, if you care to add your two cents there also ;)

chigger
December 14th 2002, 12:51
Welcome to the madness.
An Irs trans can be adapted to a swing axle pan or an irs pan can be installed on a swing axle car.
Here are some pluses
Stronger
more gear ratios
new parts availiable
different torsion bars available
various sway bars
handle better IRS keeps the wheels flat on the pavement better, it doesn't change the camber near as much as the wheels cycle up and down.
While the swing axle can be made to handle fairly well as it has some of the same options available as those above for the IRS for me the biggest item is the availability of parts. These babies are getting old and many parts may start to get hard to get.