PDA

View Full Version : Master

chug_A_bug
August 13th 2008, 04:54
Hey guys
just wanting to See what Master Cyclinder
I could up grade from Stock. I'm running front std disc and stock rear drums?
would a 944 be to big??

thanks
Chris.

flat
August 13th 2008, 21:24
Yeah, a 944 would be too big. Why upgrade, the stocker works fine for alot of applications.

Lanner

evilC
August 14th 2008, 05:49
The standard VW dual m/c is a 19/19 piston size. The early 944 is also a 19/19 piston size and the later one 23/19 piston size. The only advantage of the stepped m/c is where the front brakes are slightly overpowered.

The REAL upgrade for a m/c is to discard the dual cylinder completely and go for an AP balance bar set up with pull cylinders that will also mean raising the floor (a very good option in anycase IMO) The supply cost only would be in the region of £1000 or $1800-2000 US. Now that would be trick!

evilC

Steve C
August 14th 2008, 20:57
Hi

I agree the stock 19 mm is the right choice in most cases, but if a proper dual cylinder system was needed, there was a photo on here a while ago of chassis that had been modified to use dual cylinders.

Steve

chug_A_bug
August 14th 2008, 21:46
ok thanks guys.

Chris.

volkdent
August 15th 2008, 01:27
This has worked very well for me, I've replaced one of the cylinders with a different diameter due to my caliper piston sizes, but the mounting is very simple, 2 bolts and 2 clamps, full balance bar and easy access. Only 2 holes to drill.

Bad Dub Brakes (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6922&page=8)

Jason

chug_A_bug
August 15th 2008, 07:31
Well that's just Sexy
When the time comes I'll have the same set up or something like that
I like the Willwoods what ones are they?
and what Rotor is that?
thanks

Chris.

evilC
August 15th 2008, 08:18
have a look at these they are the bees knees.
http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=Floor+Mounted+Reversed+Pull+T ype%2DCP5516%2D3+Three+Pedal_2351_2342
The floor needs raising by 50mm but that is no bad thing - I've done that on the '03 Super to give a MUCH better pedal operation. The pull cylinders also give a smoother and therefore more delicate and controllable operation. I will be using my own fabricated version of this (AP actually publish the working drawings for this assembly) when I get around to putting the 4 pots on the front (that's another story).

evilC

volkdent
August 15th 2008, 13:04
Well that's just Sexy
When the time comes I'll have the same set up or something like that
I like the Willwoods what ones are they?
and what Rotor is that?
thanks

Chris.

The calipers are dynalite, but I have to say, I would just stick with Brembo. These are much less expensive, probably just great for the rear, but up front nothing beats a Brembo, as I learned the hard way on my M3. Pads are seriously important too, for dust free Hawk, on the track Pagid Orange.

Rotor is Wilwood on a blank hat custom drilled by Lanner for 5x100 and 5x130 on a custom aluminum hub, also by Lanner.

Jason

volkdent
August 15th 2008, 13:09
have a look at these they are the bees knees.
http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=Floor+Mounted+Reversed+Pull+T ype%2DCP5516%2D3+Three+Pedal_2351_2342
The floor needs raising by 50mm but that is no bad thing - I've done that on the '03 Super to give a MUCH better pedal operation. The pull cylinders also give a smoother and therefore more delicate and controllable operation. I will be using my own fabricated version of this (AP actually publish the working drawings for this assembly) when I get around to putting the 4 pots on the front (that's another story).

evilC

I looked at those before I did my setup, but the cost is astronomical in the US. It's been many years since I looked at those, but I remember something like $1400 just for the pedals, no MCs!

It's nice to have one stop shopping for all the pedals though, and they are fully adjustable which makes fine tuning very straightforward. Plus you can pop the floor up and you have direct access to the guts of the whole thing.

Jason

ricola
August 15th 2008, 13:54
I think these look like a more sensibly priced alternative:

http://www2.obp.uk.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_52_91_106_107&products_id=286&osCsid=5c4eba0ff210d3152af5d7c6ad9d88b4

Maybe not pull m/c's but how much of a real improvement do they really give?

Rich

volkdent
August 15th 2008, 14:13
~$600 and that includes MCs, a much better option. Just shipping to the U.S.

Jason

evilC
August 18th 2008, 05:50
I'm not sure whether they are pull or push cylinders but overall that is what I was going to fabricate using the AP working drawings as a base that they kindly supply. As I will have to purchase new cylinders I might as well design it for pull ones. The other advantage of the DIY approach is that I can specify things like the bearings etc (the OBP bearings are only impregnated bearings (??) whereas I have used fully sealed roller bearings for my throttle pedal for example @£2 each). The OBP kit looks quite comprehensive but it will need some botching around to fit a bug floor pan, especially for the ally plate.

evilC