PDA

View Full Version : 944 brakes on a super

zap266
October 8th 2008, 19:15
I have a 73 super hard top, I am wondering if I can install 944 front brakes. Also can I do this by leaving the current disc brake set up on the car and just makeing an adapter that will hold the 944 caliper to the vw hub and rotor? or is t manditory that the hub is changed to the 944 style. As well is the 944 master cylinder required shouldnt be an issue to change just wondering and I have mostly found info on converting busses and standard beetles. Oh one last question if I do change the front brakes to 944 can the rears remain the stock sb drums? any light shed on this would be very helpful thank you for your time
Zak

evilC
October 10th 2008, 12:30
By far the easiest option is to change to the 944 suspension legs then all the brake bits come with it and of course fit. The only things you have to do is swap over the springs and dampers and get a Kersher bottom ball joint. Anything else gets convoluted and time consuming, which usually means expensive.

I presume that you will be getting the calipers of a scrap vehicle so taking the whole leg is just as easy.

You don't need the 944 master cylinder per se. The standard 944/924S m/c is either a 19/19 (early) or 24/19 (late). As the standard super is 19/19 its the same size as the early 944.

Brake balance or bias is important on a bug. The ratio should be around 1:1 front to rear so it depends on which caliper you will be using, single pot or 4 pot and indeed if you do stick with the bug disc/rotor a whole mass of variables come into play. The rear braking effect is difficult to assess in comparison with a disc and it is likely to be a suck it and see exercise. If you must have drums on the rear you are likely to be more successful with the type 3 ones that are wider.

Personally I would go with 944 braking front and rear.

evilC

zap266
October 13th 2008, 14:12
Thanks, I prob will switch all of them to 944 brakes, As for the front as the rear appear to be an easy swap. On the front the 944 hubs need to be modified to accept beetle bearings, and just a braket to mount the 944 calipers? as far as I can tell that is the case but not 100% sure
Thanks for the info
zak