PDA

View Full Version : MaXX struts

bugsoup
August 11th 2002, 10:54
Who here uses MaXX stuts? Are they worth the money spent for the kit? What do you like or dislike about them?

Superman
August 11th 2002, 16:51
The ride is about the same as the sport springs. These are mainly used to have clearance for wide wheels with high positive offset. If you don't need this then regualr adjust-a-struts with Sport+ springs would work.

NYBugman1972
August 12th 2002, 11:30
Like James said, if you want the big wheels, then this is THE kit for you. No trouble with installation, great ride quality, and all the clearence you need. They'll work fine with more standard wheels also. I still have my empi's on and they are fine. I test-fitted my twists and everything is fine with them.

I highly recommend them for any wheel/tire combo, but if you dont NEED them, then save the $ for a swaybar or something. If you WANT them, then you'll love them.

TitoRay
August 14th 2002, 02:00
While we are on the topic, how long did it take you to get yours? It s been over 5 weeks since I ordered mine....still nothing. Or does anybody even have them?

Superman
August 14th 2002, 10:56
They are not in full production at this time and are on back order. I gave Topline my design in late 2001 and pushed him to release a few to our SuperBeetles Only! club members and now word has gotten around. Jon, owner of Topline, is a good guy and I've done business with him since the early 80's so I reassure that you will get them in due time.

TitoRay
August 15th 2002, 13:35
Did you design them? Thats amazing if you did. Thanks for the reassurance!:cool:

Superman
August 15th 2002, 21:46
Let's just say I had an "idea" not a design. I didn't actually manufacteur parts or invent anything new; but what I did was use what was on the market.

In 1999 me & H2OSB (John List) together tried to figure out a way to make our own small diameter spring struts mainly because we couldn't justify the cost of the H&R, Koni, or Kerscher kits.

We ended up using parts from the 1303, Porsche 944, & VW Golf and came up with a design that worked well. We had intentions to make and sell them on a limited basis but after thinking about the legal problems and what not we decided not to do so. If it wasn't a suspension componet things may have been different but we didn't want to be liable if a person was in a wreak due to a faulty design. I decided, and H2OSB agreed, that we would give Topline our design so it could have full R&D resources to produce it correctly and a safe product.

So I called up Jon at Topline and explained to him what we had made, emailed him pics, and asked him to try and come up with a low cost product (the others are $750-$1500). After some time I didn't hear from him so I called him back to see what he was thinking.

He explained to me that in order for him to produce a full coil over design that due to the costs of manufacteuring parts the price would be about that same. I replied, "I would do what VW has always done. Use what you have already." I suggested changing the lower spring perch on his adjust-a-struts to a smaller diameter for the springs. This got his attention and for the prototype it was welded but the final production unit has a billet one piece design.

Although these don't have a true full adjustment as the coil-over kits, they adjust via a snap ring at 1/2" intervals, they do the job for half the cost of the big boys.

Topline Parts (http://www.toplineparts.com)

http://www.toplineparts.com/toplpic/maxx.jpg

Superman
August 15th 2002, 22:00
I did call him yesterday to find out the status and he replied that they are being made in "batches" and that he will have some soon. He also said that it will be enough to fill the back orders.

bugsoup
August 15th 2002, 22:57
Which of the MaXX strut kits are recommended, 1302 or 1303? I have decided to convert my rescued '56 to a Super front suspension. In addition to the '56 body, (currently on a '69 IRS chassis) I have a '71 SB chassis and an '85 Porsche 944 n/a chassis (with all suspension parts intact). I can cut sheet metal sections from the 944. Would these parts help me at all in fitting one of these kits to my project? Any recommendations? Keep in mind, if its possible, I'd like to try it.

Superman
August 15th 2002, 23:57
The 1303 suspension is better, basically the same design as the Golf and Porsche 944 with the negative roll radius. You will need the 1303 components to fit the 944 brakes.

The Super's suspension was changed 3 times... getting better each time:

71 - 73.5, very simular to the Type IV (the car) design

73.5 - 74, changed struts, control arms, and sway bar to achive negative roll radius

75 - 79, added rack & pinion steering

bugsoup
August 16th 2002, 00:58
I actually don't plan on using the 944 brakes. I would like to graft the 944 suspension onto the front of the Standard Beetle body, then adapt 996 brakes (which I already have). I have late 944 n/a hubs ('87) which are deeper than needed for the 996 brakes, but I plan to make up for the extra width when I position the 944 struts. Will the '87 hubs bolt onto the early 944 spindles? Can I use the SB chassis with the early 944 struts?

This sounds confusing, I know. Maybe a summary will help us all (including me ;) ) understand my twisted plan for my front suspension:

'56 standard oval body (with neccesary mods for the following)
'71 SB chassis
'85 944 sheet metal (whichever sections are needed)
'85 944 n/a control arms
'85 944 n/a or MaXX struts
'87 944 n/a hubs
'02 996 rotors
'02 996 calipers w/ brackets

I have all of these parts already, so I'd like to make this combo work. If not, I will try something else.

Superman
August 16th 2002, 06:31
The first thing that comes to mind is how you want to use pieces of the 944 body to mount the suspension. Although this is feasible it would be dangerous. Look at the way 55OVAL did his, a tube chassis support grafted to the Super's chassis. Those thin pieces of body metal used in sections will not be strong and flex, also the welds will get weak. Sure it would probably all line up and work to mount it but the first drive it would twist and bend up like a coke can.

Second, why would you alter the Super chassis to use the 944 control arms when the 944 spindle will bolt (with a Kerscher balljoint) to the Super control arm. The 944 struts will not be good, springs are too big and heavy and you should not reposition the mounting points other than factory because that would seriously alter the suspension geometry.

In conclusion, look at the 55OVAL project real good. He done it right and is a good guideline. You will have to build a front "cage" for the front suspension, and a full roll body roll cage is optional. Once this is done lower the body on the car and make clearance cuts. Make sure to measure everything before hand and know the limits and dimensions of what you're working with, difficult job but (as 55OVAL has proven) not impossible.

I have attached a picture of a Super chassis that is used for a kit car that has a "cage" like I referred to here.

vujade
August 16th 2002, 06:51
Supe,

is that a modified type 1 pan or a Super Beetle pan?

Superman
August 16th 2002, 12:24
It's Super http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

The Sedan and Super pans are the same except for the frame head. The Super has a hammer head shark looking frame head.

This pan is a '71 or '72 by the seat tracks on the floor pans.