PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuster: continuing project thread of my 1303 '75

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Birdman69
September 24th 2012, 05:18
Yeah Wally,

7db is a LOT it's more than twice as loud. Every 3db sound doubles.

Wally
September 24th 2012, 05:31
Hi Ron,
Yeah, thats what I feared..

How are you mate? Did you get some work done on the car last year?

Cheers,
Walter

NO_H2O
September 24th 2012, 07:49
Those tracks will never host a real race event. F1, Le Manns Series, Indy Cars, Drag Racing. Hell even Red Neck Roundy-Round. They are all loud as hell. Racing is loud. Unless you want to watch the Lib-Tard Prius 500.
With the exception of the Audi TDI prototype (almost silent) every race car I have heard is very loud.

Wally
September 24th 2012, 08:13
Those tracks will never host a real race event.

A little OT, but thats not entirely true.
Thats because sound is accumulated into 'baskets' of loudness versus (or x) time.
For instance, that same track (Zandvoort) has held a full DTM race and also historic races which have some very loud cars. Some weekends have special permits or are called 'sound days'.
So, x sound levels during x time (or instances you pass the mic) determines how much total loudness is allowed during a day. The total sound level during an event is what is 'sold' to an event organisor.
All sound added in a year is the limit of their permit. Obviously they didn't want to 'spend' it on our little meaningless track sessions. :(
In other words, if I had been allowed to continue driving, another event furtheron in the year could have cancelled.
Its a little stupid as furtheron inside the track, 1/4 mile runs with open exhausts, drifting, 'Ghymkana' and bike burn-outs were held, all being much louder then my car. Unfortunately, only the TimeAttack cars drove past the microphone that day...

Steve C
September 24th 2012, 10:17
Hi

Wally maybe you need a swivelling exhaust outlet so that you can direct it away from the microphone

A track I've ran at has very strict noise restrictions, the owner of the track will offer you a roll of chicken wire to poke up your exhaust which does an amazing job but maybe not 7db.

Steve

volkdent
September 24th 2012, 12:55
Those tracks will never host a real race event. F1, Le Manns Series, Indy Cars, Drag Racing. Hell even Red Neck Roundy-Round. They are all loud as hell. Racing is loud. Unless you want to watch the Lib-Tard Prius 500.
With the exception of the Audi TDI prototype (almost silent) every race car I have heard is very loud.

Laguna Seca is really serious about sound. There is a problem with some one almost every time I'm there. Same deal, louder allowed on certain dates, quiet on most.

graham
September 25th 2012, 00:48
Some Time Attack action from last weeks sunday:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Fl2MdoBqB5I/UF26wvX7nwI/AAAAAAAA8pI/NhTzQbIZodo/s800/AutoMaxx%2520Super%2520Sunday%25202012%252060.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/TimeAttackZandvoort16-sept-2012_zpsd3bad278.jpg~original

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/TimeAttackZandvoort16-sept-2012Jordypicture_zpsdddb5913.jpg~original

I was 5th in my class of 31 cars during warm-up.
Unfortunately I was disqualified after 10/15 minutes for being 'too noisy'... (99dB vs limit of 92 dB apperently):o

Car looks great on three wheels in the corners Wally, how stable does it feel when you are pushing it like that ?

Wally
September 25th 2012, 04:07
Cheers for that Graham,

A friend did install a Go-pro in the car during the run those pics are taken, so I would hope to show you later. Image was taken up-side down so some editing needs to be done probably.

The car is pretty stable in low-speed corners though and has very little understeer imo. At least with my driving style, which compared to others, isn't that aggressive or so I heard. of course they were just too chicken to tell me I didn't give it 100% :lmao:
But in all seriousness, I don't have a trailer with me so I don't push it into risking spinning or crashing. And that leaves some time on the table. So be it.

There is however still a problem when accelerating hard towards (and past) about 120-125 mph (190-200 km/h) where the car wants to change direction too easy (too much from only very little steering input) or almost by itself. Same I felt at Spa-Francorchamp. Although rear coil overs would surely help some (its too soft in the rear atm), the real problem is very probably aero related is my conclusion of the past years.
Without a rear wing of some sort, the beetle shape gets very light in the rear and any imbalance from wind or slight steering input gets eggagurated (sp?) and it just feels instable then and its not the front!

Last year with the same TimeAttack round at the same track I used my modified simple single flat plane rear wing and it felt just fine I can remember. So I will try to make a little nicer and will probably not run on a track without it anymore.
Funny thing is, EVERY other make of car, especially in the faster classes runs a rear wing, while my beetle, who's shape REALLY needs it the most, didn't have a rear wing (the ducktail is too low for that qualification) because... it looks a bit odd or ugly to others...
By now, having felt what I did in the car, I think I'am finally past that ;)

70Turbobug
September 25th 2012, 05:19
I think a spoiler above the rear window would be more effective.Due to the bug's shape at the rear,there is much less airflow to the spoiler at its current position.Imho that's the reason your flat spoiler felt better because it was higher and getting more flow.

Birdman69
September 25th 2012, 07:17
No building just part collecting and repairing. I grabbed a couple of 4 tab bonnets which are expensive and hard to find down under.
Oh and i got a new car. another 69 semi auto but this one is amazingly straight and rust free. Already stripped it and sold the parts for more than i paid for the car. :lmao:

Regarding the wing, go for it mate. Join me and Steve c in the big arse wing club!!!!

Wally
September 25th 2012, 12:31
I think a spoiler above the rear window would be more effective.Due to the bug's shape at the rear,there is much less airflow to the spoiler at its current position.Imho that's the reason your flat spoiler felt better because it was higher and getting more flow.

I agree Mark.

Wally
September 25th 2012, 12:33
No building just part collecting and repairing. I grabbed a couple of 4 tab bonnets which are expensive and hard to find down under.
Oh and i got a new car. another 69 semi auto but this one is amazingly straight and rust free. Already stripped it and sold the parts for more than i paid for the car. :lmao:

Regarding the wing, go for it mate. Join me and Steve c in the big arse wing club!!!!

I will Ron, no worries :D
Good score, I may need to take one of those 4-tabs of your hands as I just bought a '59 body without hood (or anything else for that matter)...
:rolleyes: ;)

volkdent
September 25th 2012, 20:23
What about the carbon fiber wings often sold by import tuners? Any chance they actually work?

Jason

Steve C
September 26th 2012, 00:47

my big arse wing, yet to test it

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z328/1303Steve/stevestail5.jpg~original

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z328/1303Steve/stevestail7.jpg~original

judgie
September 26th 2012, 03:34
You know i run a big wing at the back and dont reach the same speeds as you, mines geared for 116mph@7000rpm.
i would not not race mine with out as it makes thats much difference. I ran it at north wheld drag strip and ran 14.00 [no quicker than it was running with the wing] the run was fine but when i lifted off at the top end [only 86mph] it tryed to swap ends on me. I drove straight back to the pits and bolted it back on.
It may look ugly and out of place but it works and works well, the front spolier/splitter along with the rear wing made a 4 second improvement at Prescott hill climb which is under a mile long.

Wally
September 26th 2012, 03:37
What about the carbon fiber wings often sold by import tuners? Any chance they actually work?

Jason

Probably some, but I think I would need to modify a lot on them to be and fit how I would like it on my car with the intercooler and all.
Still, as a base they could be usefull.

This is more like what I think will work well: big side end plates and higher placed horizontal plane:
(tnx to CSP for the pic)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/77984_531160376900935_1957029174_o.jpg~original

Birdman69
September 26th 2012, 06:05
I will Ron, no worries :D
Good score, I may need to take one of those 4-tabs of your hands as I just bought a '59 body without hood (or anything else for that matter)...
:rolleyes: ;)

I'll put one in my suitcase :rolleyes:

Wally
September 26th 2012, 07:56
Yeah, shipping would kill the deal probably.

I'll dig out my old wing then after next saturday (dynoday) and try to at least get some decent stands made for it, out of strong alu of course.
Maybe just remake it entirely...hmmm.

spannermanager
September 26th 2012, 11:46
Leave em off, wings have done enough damage to motorsport, and anyway, they make it look like you are trying , I pull 120 mph at brands hatches paddock hill bend and feel very relaxed even without my b/d workmate bolted to the back,, a 911 in front had one on and looked very on the limit, so i breezed past , he looked angry, nice.

Wally
September 26th 2012, 13:36
Unfortunately, I go faster then that. With 400+ hp unleashed, things get different I know now. I am also not focussing on stock 911's, they are toast anyways, the modified 964's and up are more of a match.
Besides, I'am not trying, I'am doing.

Gerrelt
September 26th 2012, 13:41
Maybe you could create a spoiler like doc Gerold (no that's not me, I am Gerrelt.. :) ) :

http://www.gerrelt.nl/roofspoiler/1303_holzapfel.jpg

But then with some slots in the spoiler near the top of the rear window to let some air through for the intercooler. I think such a spoiler is aesthetically pleasing too.

I can also send you one of my spoilers, then you can try if it makes any difference. If it doesn't work you can send it back.
But I think at such speeds you need a bigger spoiler then mine.

volkdent
September 26th 2012, 18:22
Leave em off, wings have done enough damage to motorsport, and anyway, they make it look like you are trying , I pull 120 mph at brands hatches paddock hill bend and feel very relaxed even without my b/d workmate bolted to the back,, a 911 in front had one on and looked very on the limit, so i breezed past , he looked angry, nice.

Do you have the roof lip or just a naked body? I have the same very uncomfortable feeling as Wally, just wondering if you've got big kahunas and drive through it or just don't run into that problem.

Jason

Humble
September 26th 2012, 22:13
I guess I'll chime in since I've got the largest rear wing around :lmao:

I've found that even at 60-70mph when the bug was at the limits, those limits were lower without the rear wing on my car. Over 100mph got sketchy very quickly going into braking zones because the rear was already sooo light. With the wing the car stays planted and the faster you go the more you notice the stability. Since your intercooler relies on airflow over the back window I'd suggest running a single or dual element wing, even with the top of the back window and over the vents vertically. That's how I've got mine setup and I can speak for it's effectiveness.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/humblewolf/Lucy/ufo_group6_013_i.jpg~original

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/humblewolf/Lucy/ufo_group6_006_i.jpg~original

70Turbobug
September 27th 2012, 01:37
I think a rear spoiler such as the one Thomas Wöhr has ( the pic above that Gerrelt posted) would be a good solution and can be relatively easily done.

Wally
September 27th 2012, 04:04
I think it has become more and more obvious from the input of many who drive their bugs on tracks, be it dragrace - or circuit tracks, that some sort of rear spoiler, be it to just only reduce or eliminate lift, is paramount. If only for safety reasons.

Of course, I rather not use one as well. I sooo much prefer the understatement of a stock (ish) beetle. You could even bring that back to the german-look - and I deliberately use the term G-Look here as you may notice. Stealth-style, understatement or 'mehr sein als scheinen' in my best german, is very much part of the german-style or '-look' so you like, imo. So, just for that, I would prefer NOT to use a wing. I have tried on and off in the past, but to be honest, and I think the testimony of Humble describes it best, its just not safe if you go up to the speeds mentioned.

What solution for this everybody uses depends on their cars, suspension set-ups and lots of other things.
I already have made some sort of contraption out of the 'street-wing' that I got from aircooled.net some years ago and I think I will develop that a little further as I like the position it now has (higher and not too wide) on my car, also considering the intercooler placement.
I'll sure keep you guys informed here ;-)

70Turbobug
September 27th 2012, 05:01
For a clean stockish look a diffusor would be be best,but it's hard to realize on a bug and remain subtle yet effective.

Wally
September 27th 2012, 05:06
For a clean stockish look a diffusor would be be best,but it's hard to realize on a bug and remain subtle yet effective.
A diffuser will never be very effective on a beetle because of reasons already mentioned, but a little bit of effect from both would probably do enough.

Humble
September 27th 2012, 12:22
One solution is to have a large rear wing like mine but make it removable. I can unbolt the wing and stanchions from the back of the car if I need to. It only leaves the feet of the stanchions on the car, you may have seen this on "ricer" cars. A smaller wing might fit up front or in the back seat for transport.

Gerrelt
September 27th 2012, 14:49
You could also try to make the ducktail spoler you allready have more effective.

In this autospeed article they talk about the vortex generators of the Mitsubishi Evo: Blowing the Vortex part 2 (http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Blowing-the-Vortex-Part-2/A_3059/article.html)
(a quote: "The longer the arrow, the faster the airspeed." :lmao: ..inside keversite joke)

They talk a lot about less drag in the article, but I think these vortex generators are also there to direct more air to the rear spoiler, making it more effective.

The new Beetle RSi also does this, but then with a rear window spoiler:

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/albums//Volkswagen/Concept%20-%20Design/Design%20Studies/New%20Beetle%20RSI/12.jpg

I think its primary function is to direct more airflow to the rear bonnet spoiler.

Just some food for thought.

Edit: I found the Mitsubishi research article, interesting read: Research article (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf)

spannermanager
September 27th 2012, 15:37
Do you have the roof lip or just a naked body? I have the same very uncomfortable feeling as Wally, just wondering if you've got big kahunas and drive through it or just don't run into that problem.

Jason

Jason,sorry i missed your post up there, but to answer you, yes, i run it bare, running low is the secret, and lots of castor, i run it at 40mm as my regs dictate, a bit less actually, ive cut off or clearanced all the low points, and i also exploit the open deck technique, whereby the underflow air is used to flow into the normally turbulent air behind the car, killing drag and lift, you see it on many sports proto types etc, my deck lid and rear panel are massively vented to exhaust the airflow from over the motor, the deck lid hinge panel is gone for the same reason, the engine bay is also open to air, another huge plus for the wasser motor. does it work? well its a very stable platform,and i feel an outright win is on the cards next season. we'll see, there's no hiding place out there.

Wally
September 27th 2012, 15:38
Cool! Tnx for the pic and article. We just need to be carefull not to seem as if we are 'trying' (although a watercooled engine is not trying of course..)...:rolleyes:

I think I am pretty close to a decent placement with my old wing I tried a few years ago. Could maybe just be a tiny little bit wider with a bit bigger end plates. Plenty work to do this winter :)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/DSC_281.jpg

And yes, good airspeed is always important ;)

graham
September 27th 2012, 17:26
Jason,sorry i missed your post up there, but to answer you, yes, i run it bare, running low is the secret, and lots of castor, i run it at 40mm as my regs dictate, a bit less actually, ive cut off or clearanced all the low points, and i also exploit the open deck technique, whereby the underflow air is used to flow into the normally turbulent air behind the car, killing drag and lift, you see it on many sports proto types etc, my deck lid and rear panel are massively vented to exhaust the airflow from over the motor, the deck lid hinge panel is gone for the same reason, the engine bay is also open to air, another huge plus for the wasser motor. does it work? well its a very stable platform,and i feel an outright win is on the cards next season. we'll see, there's no hiding place out there.

Ive been following the latest comments here recently as I find the aerodynamics of a bug quite interesting.Have you got any pics of the rear or underside of your car Spannermanager.

spannermanager
September 29th 2012, 10:57
Ive been following the latest comments here recently as I find the aerodynamics of a bug quite interesting.Have you got any pics of the rear or underside of your car Spannermanager.
Hi Mate, nothing with any detail, black just makes a lousy picture as all the detail is lost, this rear shot is curtesy of the apex festival,but its hard to see all the venting, the Red Maguire Imp is also exploiting open deck theories. I run various fairings underneath, all a bit crude as they get damaged often when running low to the deck, its smooth underneath all the way through to the rear torsion housing and rear ARB where there are more fairings, the ARB and mountings have to go next, Porsche style mounting is no good on a track car, its far too low, there are no jack points or lower 'a' arm shock mounts either, the a arms are flipped to improve the camber, nice and clean for the air, it will be flat bottomed right the way through over the winter, special parts are a pain in the butt when they get damaged!! you have to start all again, you also have to plan your hard points to jack the thing up quickly, and also carry ramps to meetings etc etc. I love it all tho', :)heres the Apex link,http://www.apexfestival.co.uk/event/Circuit_Racing.html

Wally
September 29th 2012, 16:21
Just got back from Dyno-day (BTW 564 Nm = 418 lbs.ft) :):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Dynoday%20HRengineering%202011/HRdynoday2012034.jpg~original

Bug@5speed(US)
September 29th 2012, 16:52
Wally is that wheel or adjusted at engine regardless very impressive and unbelievable.
Congrats
Alex

Wally
September 29th 2012, 17:07
Thanks; thats corrected to flywheel-hp. A healthy totally stock 1584cc T1 with just cheap header exhaust made 55 hp and another stock 1600 with electronic ignition made 52hp, so the dyno seemed very well calibrated.
I think it turned out to be about 15% correction iirc, so its about 400 RWHP for you guys ;-)

NO_H2O
September 30th 2012, 09:59
Well done Wally.

70Turbobug
September 30th 2012, 11:54
Wow! 564NM!! It seems the new cam did make a difference.300NM at around 3600rpm! I bet it pulls like an elephant on crack....
Well done Wally!!

judgie
October 1st 2012, 03:20
is the small dip at 4000rpm the cam coming on? my n/a engine has the same small dip at 4000rpm as it comes on cam. very good numbers and i hope we can match your numbers with our new engine.

Wally
October 1st 2012, 04:15
is the small dip at 4000rpm the cam coming on?

Calling that a dip or even a small dip is somewhat eggagurated perhaps, but I think I understand the spot you mean.
But no, thats not the 'cam coming on' imo. Cam comes on much sooner then that, as does boost. I'am sure I can tune that out if I wanted to, but it would be for visual pleasure only. Its not like you feel that minute change in rising rate hp-climbing ;)

I think the engine is now 'perfect'. Early super high torque and very high hp when you step on it some more. It does everything you throw at it. I wouldn;t know what to change or what would make it better. It also picks up from 1200 rpm onwards in 3rd gear (mine is a long one too) crawling through town.
So, I was thinking of selling the engine and all ancillaries that make it work (for way less then the parts cost alone) to finance my new '36hp Challenge' -love and I would also love to see the Apfelbeck-project through someday.
Not sure if there is a demand though.

70Turbobug
October 1st 2012, 05:23
So you´re selling the engine now that you´ve reached your goal,do I understand that correctly? Although building a Challenge motor is a ton of fun,I think you would regret selling the T4 because it does do everything! It´s reliable and incredibly fast.Besides,if Thorsten actually does make a type 4 version of his heads,which he will it seems,I think you could unlock even more horsepower.....just to scare yourself :D

Wally
October 1st 2012, 06:47
So you´re selling the engine now that you´ve reached your goal,do I understand that correctly?

Not exactly. More because I want to reach other goals which need an investment and this would be the only way to get there.
I would love to campaign this engine through next years TimeAttack competition because its perfect for it.
Also doing that illusive 10-second 1/4 mile also seems just a matter of going to SantaPod once more.

Besides,if Thorsten actually does make a type 4 version of his heads,which he will it seems,
I don't think it will happen tbh and maybe, just mabe, developing our own T4 OHC heads might even be as rewarding as it is for Thorsten to build his own WBX heads...:rolleyes:

70Turbobug
October 1st 2012, 10:24
I would really like to see the Apfelbeck heads make it to the market! Building an Apfelbeck headed T4 turbo would be really awesome! Hopefully, you'll keep this engine, but it would also be interesting to see what your next project will be.
Now that you've tasted some racing blood I'm sure we will see your next project on track!

Wally
October 1st 2012, 10:43
I would really like to see the Apfelbeck heads make it to the market!
No, you got it all wrong: its not about taking it to the market. That will even less likely to happen. I/we just want to finish the project and see what it will be like to hear it run at high rpm and see the hp/ltr figure from the dyno.

It will also surely be N/A for a long time because of the hp/ltr testing, but we're getting way ahead of each other here. The end of speculation better stop right here.

70Turbobug
October 1st 2012, 14:44
Easy Wally....I didn't want to stir anything up or start any speculations so sorry if something got lost in translation.I just said I would like to see them on the market! How am I supposed to know what the intentions are for those heads or that project is? It will be a very interesting developement for sure and I hope you'll share it and post.

Wally
October 1st 2012, 15:53
Ok, I just didn't want to leave the impression that this is a commercial venture of some sort. It isn't. At all.
Good thing we cleared that up. Sorry likewise if I came on too strong. Its a senstive point obviously ;-)
You know I will post any sh*t here first. It adds a lot to the fun to share.

70Turbobug
October 1st 2012, 16:11
No worries mate! All is good!

Humble
April 16th 2013, 15:56
Wally, do you have or can you take some good photos of how your intercooler is mounted. I've been going back and forth about air or water and I want to see how you mounted your intercooler. I've been going through different designs in my head but I think they would be flimsy.

Wally
April 17th 2013, 03:18
Taking a picture is difficult atm. A mainly one sided attachement will always be perceived as flimsy I think, still it holds up for many years without fractures. The other side is incorprated and attached to the duck tail end too of course, but that only does so much.
The intercooler is a strong bar ans plate one with 2 welded in fat M8 studs both top and bottom. The bottom row I connected with a hollow rectangular tube and that (with two braces) is attached to the original hood hinges.
Thats about it..;)

Humble
April 17th 2013, 11:50
I might try and do a similar intercooler setup but I'll have to do something with my case/head vents. I wanted to see how you did the bottom mounts for the intercooler, but the pics you have up don't show the mounts cleanly. Are you using steel for the IC mounts and then going to the hinges, or going to where the hinges mount to the body?

Voiden
April 21st 2013, 11:45
I saw this picture on Facebook.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562597_459844540762118_1070315201_n.jpg

Do you have more pics on your car with that wing mounted?

70Turbobug
April 22nd 2013, 02:19
That seems to be an older pic,it has the gold 18" wheels.

Wally
April 22nd 2013, 16:16
Yeah, that was about 1997 I think when the 2,7ltr T4 was still in there..

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/66021.jpg

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/66022.jpg

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/66020.jpg

volkdent
July 11th 2013, 21:09
http://www.volksforum.com/albums/files/5/0/4/IMG_0448.JPG

Wally
July 12th 2013, 03:14
Cool! That was at the parking lot of the Nürburgring (2007 or 2008 I think) ;)

Luismj
August 13th 2013, 22:10
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=517982134948358&set=a.394941887252384.96832.394935627253010&type=1&theater

:cool:

Wally
August 19th 2013, 10:39
Current pictures ;-)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/IMG_0360_zpsda258ac4.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/1303/IMG_0360_zpsda258ac4.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/IMG_0369_zpsb5b9fd0b.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/1303/IMG_0369_zpsb5b9fd0b.jpg.html)

vw1303
August 19th 2013, 16:15
Looks awesome Wally!

What rear spoiler is that? Sorta looks like Dr Holzapel(sp?) one on that race bug.

Wally
August 19th 2013, 16:52
Yeah, its a one-off Gerrelt made me, but it took so much time, that I'am not sure if he wants to make another anytime soon...

volkdent
August 20th 2013, 01:28
Any thoughts on what the front fender slots and the "wing" did for you? I'm really interested in the front fender slot feedback, not sure I could pull of the rear window wing but I'd love to know how it works.

Jason

Wally
August 20th 2013, 02:59
Sorry Jason, I can't tell what effect the fender slots in itself have or had. Neither with the roof extension as I only drove 10 miles or so with it when the current 1192cc type 1 compound turbo engine seized...

I am going to build another turbo type 4 for next year as with my long 1st gear, that small an engine is no fun driving on the street.

70Turbobug
August 20th 2013, 04:37
Looks great Wally! What size T4 turbo are you building? I have a brand new ball bearing Garrett GT3582 sitting here that I am not going to use..

Wally
August 20th 2013, 06:15
I hope the engine will be 1,9 or 2,3ltr and I will probably use the turbo from the 2,2ltr to keep costs down.
Tnx for the offer though.

effvee
August 20th 2013, 21:03
Walker, what happened to your 2 liter engine that you ran for about two years now.

Wally
August 21st 2013, 04:09
Walker, what happened to your 2 liter engine that you ran for about two years now.

Sorry man, but I only have recollection of 1,2ltr and 2,2 N/A and 2,2 T before that?

Bogara_ZO
August 21st 2013, 05:54
Current pictures ;-)

A true bad boy, very cool!
How does the 1.2T perform?

Wally
August 21st 2013, 06:06
How does the 1.2T perform?

The idea with the small turbo feeding the big turbo worked, as the boost rose super gradually when the big turbo came on after the small one reached wastegate boost, but I seized the engine right afterwards...
So I don't have any more impressions then that one time dual spool-up of both turbos.

70Turbobug
August 22nd 2013, 10:01
Oil supply to the crank and bearings seems to be the largest weakness of the 1200 Motor. I wanted to drill the oil gallies to 10mm and enlarge the holes in the bearing saddles.My idea was to build a compound system with an eaton compressor and turbo.However, it's another costly project that gets in the way of my type 4 turbo project and reliability vs. cost vs. horsepower isn't feasable consideringmy experience with the 1200 challenges in the past.Maybe someday I'll pick it up again and invest into it.

Gerrelt
August 22nd 2013, 12:34
Yeah, its a one-off Gerrelt made me, but it took so much time, that I'am not sure if he wants to make another anytime soon...

Yup, you're right! :)

If anybody wants details on how I made it, just say so.

Humble
August 22nd 2013, 13:44
I'd love to get details on the roof spoiler and the rain gutter panels you made.

Gerrelt
August 23rd 2013, 11:22
I'd love to get details on the roof spoiler and the rain gutter panels you made.

At your service: Link to germanlook thread (http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11683) :)

And here I describe how I created the A pillar deflectors: Reducing Windnoise / Raingutter Fillers page (http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-aerodynamics/modifications-windnoise.html?showall=1)

Wally
October 31st 2013, 15:11
Ok, so I disposed of almost all of the type 1 stuff and started cleaning a type 4 case again :D

The idea is to use my 74mm Oettinger crank coupled to a moderate bore of 98mm to give 2230cc or almost as 'big' or small as the old motor was.
This time with "someones" billet type 4 heads with T1 exhaust ports (if all plans and promises are met) for improved flow and strength.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Kanaleneilandexcursie003_zpsbdb879c2.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Kanaleneilandexcursie003_zpsbdb879c2.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Carterschoonmaken004_zpsfaa90f7c.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Carterschoonmaken004_zpsfaa90f7c.jpg.html)

Almost everything on the engine will be a little stronger or better in some way, so I'am curieus what the outcome will be!

ricola
October 31st 2013, 15:21
Good to see you back into it Wally!

Steve C
October 31st 2013, 18:33
Good to see that you are continuing your quest, keep us posted with your progress

judgie
November 1st 2013, 04:18
watching this one with a lot of interest. with what you proved with the last engine and the knowledge you gained from it this could be a very impressive motor.

70Turbobug
November 1st 2013, 05:59
Welcome back Wally! The billet heads will be introduced this weekend so I´ve heard. I´m really looking forward to this!

effvee
November 1st 2013, 15:15
What type billet heads?

Wally
November 1st 2013, 17:17
What type billet heads?

Aircooled type 4 billet heads :D

effvee
November 1st 2013, 21:26
Aircooled type 4 billet heads :D

haha come on Walter, you have me chomping at the bit, who makes the heads do you have any pictures sir:o

-Alex-
November 2nd 2013, 12:18
Similar like these E Plus heads at cal-look lounge..? ;)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/Frallan2/2tumsavgas-1.jpg~original

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,19111.msg271836.html#msg271836

Wally
November 2nd 2013, 15:30
Definately similar, but surely not the same ;)
If the manufactorere says ok, I'll post some pics of the drawings. Heads still need to be made..

Clatter
November 5th 2013, 03:43
Can that case still be good after being subject to the past abuse?
Spread center main?
Pounded out/line bore needed?

Dying to see how the case looks.
That last crank was a stock 1.7, right?
Just balanced, no counterweights, IIRC.

If you can just use the case as it sits, it would speak very highly of the setup....

Wally
November 5th 2013, 03:53
Can that case still be good after being subject to the past abuse?
Spread center main?
Pounded out/line bore needed?

Dying to see how the case looks.
That last crank was a stock 1.7, right?
Just balanced, no counterweights, IIRC.

If you can just use the case as it sits, it would speak very highly of the setup....

This is another case. I sold the former 2,2 engine as a N/A set-up, but if you go back some pages you'll read that I have openend the engine to change a few things (cam, rods) and that the case was even inspected for hairline cracks and all was good to go again. Even bearings were still good and could have been used again. I replaced them anyways though back then.

The crank was indeed stock 1,7 re-hardenend, polished and balanced. Nothing more.

This time it will be 8mm more stroke, chro-mo forged & counterweighted :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Erik%20Blom%20motor/Alfing-Oettingerkrukas002.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Erik%20Blom%20motor/Alfing-Oettingerkrukas002.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Erik%20Blom%20motor/Alfing-Oettingerkrukas004.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Erik%20Blom%20motor/Alfing-Oettingerkrukas004.jpg.html)

NO_H2O
November 5th 2013, 09:55
I look forward to more riveting updates from you Wally.

Wally
November 12th 2013, 15:05
Cheers mate!

Left: new case have bolts (12.9, 10mm diameter)
Middle: Original head studs (7.2mm diameter)
Right: Raceware head studs (9.0mm diameter)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/001_zps5fe21e83.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/001_zps5fe21e83.jpg.html)

Wally
November 16th 2013, 17:15
A hint of some of the parts that came in today :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Pauterspullen001_zpsf937b235.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Pauterspullen001_zpsf937b235.jpg.html)

spannermanager
November 16th 2013, 17:22
finer thread pitch= more clamping force= use less torque for same clamping force.

judgie
November 18th 2013, 05:48
mmmmmmmmmmm pauter, engine jewelery at its best.

70Turbobug
November 18th 2013, 13:13
My guess this one is going to be quite a bit more aggressive? Will you be using the same Borg Warner twin scroll or are you going with a complete new set up?

Wally
November 19th 2013, 14:13
My guess this one is going to be quite a bit more aggressive? Will you be using the same Borg Warner twin scroll or are you going with a complete new set up?

Good guess! :D

Yes, I will use the same twin scroll 'small' Borg turbo I still have left from the old engine.
The new engine will also be equipped with these newly developed billet heads from Thorsten Pieper. Should be done before years end :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Kopf2_zps37f1c656.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Kopf2_zps37f1c656.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Kopf3_zps9a049f5d.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Kopf3_zps9a049f5d.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
November 20th 2013, 06:57
I have heard from Thorsten's T4 head project a couple of months ago, but didn't want to spill the beans. :D It is top quality for sure just like the oxyboxer heads. I would think 500-550hp with the same reliability as your previous engine is really possible.

volkdent
November 20th 2013, 14:35
Drool....:lmao:

Jason

effvee
November 20th 2013, 22:55
A hint of some of the parts that came in today :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Pauterspullen001_zpsf937b235.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Pauterspullen001_zpsf937b235.jpg.html)

Congrats Walter.

Hay,I was looking at Pauters website,I noticed that he's making his rockers without needle bearings or bushings for shaft support; just aluminium rockers to shaft. I wonder why he has not stated why. This is a sharp turn from needle bearings, bushings, to nothing:eek:

What is your choice for rods?
How about cooling system, upright?
Nice work Walter:)

Wally
November 21st 2013, 05:40
Hay,I was looking at Pauters website,I noticed that he's making his rockers without needle bearings or bushings for shaft support; just aluminium rockers to shaft.

They are not without bushings and not 'just aluminium rockers to shaft' as you stated. What gave you that idea?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Pauterspullen004_zps8b76f74b.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Pauterspullen004_zps8b76f74b.jpg.html)

I already have the rods, they were a test set from R&R through Jake. Here coupled to a set of 77,50m pistons from the 1200T project (testfit for the 20mm pins):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/1200Challenge2014002_zpse6aba93a.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/1200Challenge2014002_zpse6aba93a.jpg.html)

effvee
November 21st 2013, 07:40
They are not without bushings and not 'just aluminium rockers to shaft' as you stated. What gave you that idea?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Pauterspullen004_zps8b76f74b.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Pauterspullen004_zps8b76f74b.jpg.html)

I already have the rods, they were a test set from R&R through Jake. Here coupled to a set of 77,50m pistons from the 1200T project (testfit for the 20mm pins):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/1200Challenge2014002_zpse6aba93a.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/1200Challenge2014002_zpse6aba93a.jpg.html)

Good morning Walter, sorry I mis read pauters web site, only the rockers using needle bearings, will not have any bushing just hardened aluminum.

Those rods look plenty strong enough.

70Turbobug
November 21st 2013, 07:50
Nice parts! What cylinders will you be using? Interesting that you chose to go to a 98mm bore, I would have thought that the heads were made for a minimum 100mm bore. I can understand wanting to minimize knock but 98 is somewhat exotic, hence the question on what cylinders you will use. It's good to see you back, always loved your projects and inspirates me to keep miy project going!

Wally
November 21st 2013, 09:02
The yet-to-be-determined bore (98 or 100) is still up in the air, but best chance is indeed 98mm. Knock threshold isn't a consideration on that aspect, trust me. I am not convinced bore has that high a correlation with knock in our application anyways.
If it turns out to become 98mm bore, I'll tell the story behind why lateron ;)

70Turbobug
November 21st 2013, 11:08
Knock threshold isn't a consideration on that aspect, trust me.I am not convinced bore has that high a correlation with knock in our application anyways.

I have the same opinion on that! There are so many other factors that cause knock that you can´t just pin point it on a large bore. An engine knocks in the low rpm range,so imho usually a poor head porting/cam combo and/or tuning will be the cause.Performance wise,I don´t think 2mm more or less bore will matter anyway.;)

Wally
November 21st 2013, 11:16
Performance wise,I don´t think 2mm more or less bore will matter anyway.;)

My thoughts exactly. The 100cc difference of the 2mm bore will make only a very small difference in spool, so the better/stronger cylinder (and costs) will play a more important role ;)

Wally
December 24th 2013, 05:16
The new bare T4 billet heads are here! :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/9e8d78ba-0413-4388-8c06-afbee1b72c4b_zpsf9a356f8.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/9e8d78ba-0413-4388-8c06-afbee1b72c4b_zpsf9a356f8.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/d5782854-7448-4e3f-84c7-d3cc0bf45e07_zps0cd6eaf4.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/d5782854-7448-4e3f-84c7-d3cc0bf45e07_zps0cd6eaf4.jpg.html)

graham
December 24th 2013, 13:16
Wow they look amazing nice christmas prezzie ,its amazing how much aftermarket stuff is availble from china now, only joking walter, how many pairs of these exotic heads actually exist i would imagine single figure ammounts ? Very Nice

Wally
December 24th 2013, 14:49
Cheers Graham! I believe 5 or 6 pairs have been made in this batch.

-Alex-
December 30th 2013, 10:08
I didnt see any support on torsiontubes on your car and Humble's car, i have only seen support on mendeola oval chassis and remmele chassis.

Looks like they dont need as much support as the shock towers and framehorns.

First i wanted to have tubes from rollcage mainloop to torsiontubes, but it might be not needed from what i have heard:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4650/75jz.jpg

Wally
December 30th 2013, 11:22
Alex,

Copied from my same answer in Humbles thread:

The fact I didn't weld any supports to the torsion tubes, doesn't neccesarily mean I wouldn't be better of with them...
In fact, thats probably the first other thing I will add to the existing cage as my instablity at Santa Pod in 2012 might be due to missing exactly that!

Cheers,
Walter

Wally
December 30th 2013, 11:33
For most tracks, these trans straps are gonna be mandatory. We just made one from 6mm steel, 4 inches wide...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/TransstrapDHRA002_zps6c7c8b69.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/TransstrapDHRA002_zps6c7c8b69.jpg.html)

spannermanager
December 30th 2013, 13:04
I didnt see any support on torsiontubes on your car and Humble's car, i have only seen support on mendeola oval chassis and remmele chassis.

Looks like they dont need as much support as the shock towers and framehorns.

First i wanted to have tubes from rollcage mainloop to torsiontubes, but it might be not needed from what i have heard:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4650/75jz.jpg

Alex, you are on the right track, the factory got lazy with the later production runs, many cars came off the line without even the two t/tube too body bolts under the back seat, if these are omitted, then yes, the t/tube needs tying in somehow, fitting the bolts and re enforcing the body at the bolt head is a good start, any extra bracing into the cage is better but it may fall foul of racing regulations/scruteneering at race events, check the local ASR's.;)

-Alex-
December 30th 2013, 14:11
Thats what i thought, finnish vw fellow with 300hp on a splitwindow also thought that torsionbars need support more than just body bolted to it

http://ub-52.blogspot.fi/ (The tubechassis car is a different project, i have designed that rear suspension.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QOrhwTLF3hA

I am thinking either cage tied to torsionbars or remmele style bars:

http://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11601

spannermanager
December 30th 2013, 16:31
Thats what i thought, finnish vw fellow with 300hp on a splitwindow also thought that torsionbars need support more than just body bolted to it

http://ub-52.blogspot.fi/ (The tubechassis car is a different project, i have designed that rear suspension.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QOrhwTLF3hA

I am thinking either cage tied to torsionbars or remmele style bars:

http://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11601
Very nice Alex, tho I think the Remmele solution is OTT and getting heavy for anything without a 800 hp Turbo Porsche motor, I like simple and subtle solutions that are hard to spot, then you can cheat a bit lol:lmao:
Walter, is your's a clutch scatter shield?

-Alex-
December 30th 2013, 16:59
Yeah, i think bars from mainloop to the torsionbar tubes will do the trick on most beetles.

spannermanager
December 30th 2013, 18:47
One way is a short blind tube bolted thro the body to the t/housing end on using the existing fixing point, say about 200mm vertical, then one down from the main hoop welded to the vertical piece, then up from there again to the diagonal, that way you get a good triangulation , plus the cage can come out if required.

Wally
December 31st 2013, 03:13
Yeah, i think bars from mainloop to the torsionbar tubes will do the trick on most beetles.

Maybe, but I think what I felt could have been a change in toe on one side at the rear suspension, so the diagonal bar 'on the floor' (end of torsion tube to the mid of the main tunnel, as with the Remmele example, but less extreme, just one bar) would be most beneficial.

Spanner: yeah, scatter shield for clutch or flywheel retention is the correct term ;)

Wally
January 21st 2014, 14:13
Fitted and all :)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/IMG_0862_zpsb9461091.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/IMG_0862_zpsb9461091.jpg.html)

Today I was at a shop that coincidentally had an engine with one of the very early Engoine Plus heads on the bench.
So I compared a little :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/E-0presentatie005_zpsf02b8a45.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/E-0presentatie005_zpsf02b8a45.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
January 22nd 2014, 05:56
Cool comparison! The TP Heads have much more cooling fins and it seems longer ports also.The latest generation Engine Plus heads have also much more cooling fins than the previous ones.Thorsten really did a fantastic job on those heads! I´m really looking forward to this project! Hope you´ll be in Spa this year with it!

Wally
January 22nd 2014, 16:29
Cool comparison! The TP Heads have much more cooling fins and it seems longer ports also.The latest generation Engine Plus heads have also much more cooling fins than the previous ones.Thorsten really did a fantastic job on those heads! I´m really looking forward to this project! Hope you´ll be in Spa this year with it!

Not to sound like a schmuck, but I can do the same comparison with a version 9 Engine Plus head as we just removed the heads from Nigel's 2,7ltr to have a look at the abused chines Nickies he runs.
We only had time today for the 3-4 cylinder side and those cylinders looked top!
Think I made a pic if your interested.

70Turbobug
January 23rd 2014, 06:52
I´ve seen the version 9 heads also.They are a big improvement compared to the first generations,mainly the casting and material,so Jan Lackstetter a few years ago.However, they do perform very well. I would like to see the chinese cylinders,thanks!

Wally
January 24th 2014, 11:25
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_0934_zps46c8124f.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_0934_zps46c8124f.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
January 24th 2014, 12:19
Thanks Wally! They look pretty good. How many Kilometers are on them? I wonder how they would hold up under boost.

Wally
January 24th 2014, 12:25
Dozens of hours of trackdays. And I really mean a full trackday, so hours in a row of continous 'Nigel-driving' (his foot is heavier then mine), mostly with passengers onboard as well.
Twice his V-belt of the alternator/cooling did come of and a full lap was done before noticing...the engine was soo hot, it pinged at idle...
New belt, exhaust bolts reattached (they came out because of the heat) and it started directly and went on for more laps and track days...

They have been tortured I just want to say!

spannermanager
January 24th 2014, 12:42
Dozens of hours of trackdays. And I really mean a full trackday, so hours in a row of continous 'Nigel-driving' (his foot is heavier then mine), mostly with passengers onboard as well.
Twice his V-belt of the alternator/cooling did come of and a full lap was done before noticing...the engine was soo hot, it pinged at idle...
New belt, exhaust bolts reattached (they came out because of the heat) and it started directly and went on for more laps and track days...

They have been tortured I just want to say!

Its during 'events' like the overheat that quality stands up to be counted, cast pistons, or even poor quality forged ones would have seized or collapsed completely.

Wally
January 24th 2014, 15:53
Yeah, I agree spanner. His heads weren't fractured either. It didn't came as a surprise that most exhaust studs and a few rocker studs were loose though...
Only after having witnessed that (his engine keeping running so well like it did after all the torture), I was confident enough to consider a set of billet heads for the street for myself. And further strengthening the believe in how important alu cylinders are in shedding heat.

owdlvr
January 24th 2014, 19:17
Thats very impressive!

Wally
February 5th 2014, 02:54
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_0946_zpse741fd0a.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_0946_zpse741fd0a.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/IMG_0947_zps2c9ba73c.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/IMG_0947_zps2c9ba73c.jpg.html)

4,03 kg :mrgreen:

70Turbobug
February 5th 2014, 05:41
Cool! looks like my flywheel!

dave forder
February 23rd 2014, 13:23
Hi Wally, I still can't seem to upload pictures on germanlook.net. Back in November I showed my car at the NEC Birmingham and have some pictures I would like to upload. Can I email them to you to see if you have any luck uploading them?
Cheers
Dave

Wally
February 23rd 2014, 13:58
Yeah, of course Dave, we'll do it the same as last time ;)
It turned out so awesome, I'am sure we all want to see more of her!

Next time we meet up, I'll show you personally how it works with photobucket and their links for being able to show pictures :D
You're coming to Action this year?

You still have my email?

dave forder
February 25th 2014, 13:52
Wally, Yeah the NEC Classic Car Show was great. I was on the Meguires' Showcase Stand and the car went down very well. I do plan to do Action (it would be nice to have some side by side drag action with you) and also plan to come over to Spa this year. I have tried to email these pictures to you but they keep bouncing back as undeliverable. I shall try and sort this over the next few days.

Wally
February 26th 2014, 05:09
Yeah, I noticed you tried 17Mb sending to me, which is over my email box limit. Could you try 10Mb at the time? That gives me time to reroute the pictures.
Thanks!

Wally
May 31st 2014, 14:04
After long time saving and a very long waiting time, my new Koni coil-overs arrived: up-side down aluminium bodied beauties with top and bottom ball-joint (sp?) attachment points. Hopefully they function as well as they look the part...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014084_zps426cbbbb.jpg~origi nal (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014084_zps426cbbbb.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014085_zpsff1e4071.jpg~origi nal (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014085_zpsff1e4071.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014087_zpsfb7d3185.jpg~origi nal (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014087_zpsfb7d3185.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014086_zpsf87d78ab.jpg~origi nal (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/I-phonefotosWalter31mei2014086_zpsf87d78ab.jpg.html)

owdlvr
June 1st 2014, 13:25
Nice! You're going to be quite happy with those I think. If I ever build a "proper" Germanlook, ie one used on tarmac exclusively, it will with be Koni's at all four corners.

We use a loop of Bicycle tube to keep dirt out of the adjustment slot. Easy enough to move it to the side for adjustments, but keeps the dirt out.

-Dave

Wally
June 1st 2014, 13:31
Tnx for that excellent tip Dave!

Rule09
June 2nd 2014, 16:27
Nice!

70Turbobug
June 4th 2014, 01:16
Looking good Wally! Were those custom made for you?

NO_H2O
June 6th 2014, 08:21
Shock porn.

Wally
June 6th 2014, 08:29
Yeah, almost shocking! :lmao:

Mark: not custom for me, its just a (top of the line) 944 aftermarket part. Not really a shelf part tho, as I had to wait a few months for them to be made.

graham
June 12th 2014, 05:01
Those Koni's look awesome Wally,are those racers edge lower shock bolts ?

Wally
June 12th 2014, 05:17
Those Koni's look awesome Wally,are those racers edge lower shock bolts ?

Yes, they are ;)

graham
June 13th 2014, 01:24
Thanks Wally :)

Wally
October 12th 2014, 15:44
With the new shocks, I also decided to change the arms from turbo to regular n/a 944 ones for a little less track width.
Here you can see where the difference in width (1 inch or 25mm) comes from. The arms themselves are the same casting ;-)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Diverse%20parts/10-hoogenonderdelen016_zps4dae5fec.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Diverse%20parts/10-hoogenonderdelen016_zps4dae5fec.jpg.html)

Wally
November 8th 2014, 19:19
Mounted my old front disk set-up to the rear where it originally came from. Also test mounted the rear coil-overs:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/carbon1303004_zps7ffa3c26.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/carbon1303004_zps7ffa3c26.jpg
.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/carbon1303008_zpsf089e850.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/carbon1303008_zpsf089e850.jpg.html)

ricola
November 10th 2014, 12:38
Hi Wally, good to see you back on it!

I'd have to see the vent design but it looks like you have the disc on the wrong way around or the wrong side (the bell is obviously correct)...

Rich

Wally
November 10th 2014, 15:41
Richard,
You are absolutely correct! I used to think this was more logical, but factory indeed mounted them the other way round.

Wally
November 24th 2014, 14:18
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/carbonvoorschijven002_zpse38c1d5e.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/carbonvoorschijven002_zpse38c1d5e.jpg.html)

ricola
November 24th 2014, 18:33
Did you have them all mounted backwards?

The logic is that air flows radially out through the disc, so in by the hub and out by the wheel rim, having them the other way around effectively tries to oppose the normal airflow by scooping it back in resulting in poor cooling..

How's the new engine coming along?

Wally
November 25th 2014, 04:20
Did you have them all mounted backwards?

The above pic is from the front left wheel, so that should be mounted correctly?

The engine building is holded till funds allow further progress...

ricola
November 25th 2014, 14:38
Yes, I saw the front left was correct, just wondered whether you had mounted them all as the rear were..

Look forward to more progress ;)

70Turbobug
November 25th 2014, 15:09
I see you're sporting some semi slicks there! Looking good Wally,hope to see you again in Spa next year, maybe sooner!

Wally
March 7th 2015, 14:41
Today I send out a big box for some extremely important work (installing seats, guides and maching the ti valves to fit :cool:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/cd3fd7ce-8787-4814-93eb-fc6c4a77c44c_zps8nav6srl.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/cd3fd7ce-8787-4814-93eb-fc6c4a77c44c_zps8nav6srl.jpg.html)

containing these (mine and a friend of mine's):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/c8f83068-6068-477b-8e22-d44bd261d7fe_zpsjbyjrna4.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/c8f83068-6068-477b-8e22-d44bd261d7fe_zpsjbyjrna4.jpg.html)

Steve C
March 8th 2015, 08:28
nice that will wake your motor up, not that it lacked power anyway

70Turbobug
March 9th 2015, 01:18
Looks great Wally!

-Alex-
March 9th 2015, 11:19
I am waiting same thing to get done, probably around at next fall i will send my Mr. Pieper billet heads to get done :)

What length those KONI's are?

-Alex

Today I send out a big box for some extremely important work (installing seats, guides and maching the ti valves to fit :cool:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/cd3fd7ce-8787-4814-93eb-fc6c4a77c44c_zps8nav6srl.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/cd3fd7ce-8787-4814-93eb-fc6c4a77c44c_zps8nav6srl.jpg.html)

containing these (mine and a friend of mine's):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/c8f83068-6068-477b-8e22-d44bd261d7fe_zpsjbyjrna4.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/c8f83068-6068-477b-8e22-d44bd261d7fe_zpsjbyjrna4.jpg.html)

Wally
March 23rd 2015, 03:01
Alex, the Koni's are 944 parts, so they have those length, I haven't measured that. I ran Koni yellow 944 shocks before.

Work has started already! :)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/10994637_805236429570103_652295524696305382_n_zps0 k8lxixq.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/10994637_805236429570103_652295524696305382_n_zps0 k8lxixq.jpg.html)
Very high quality guides ^^

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/10433793_805166032910476_4455326246944089704_n_zps mkpsi5n6.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/10433793_805166032910476_4455326246944089704_n_zps mkpsi5n6.jpg.html)
Valve size will be 48x41 and that in just a 98mm bore...:shocked:

effvee
March 23rd 2015, 10:33
Nice eye candy Walter:D

Wally
March 23rd 2015, 15:54
Alu-bronze seats have been made:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/custom%20seats_zpscanxvrbq.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/custom%20seats_zpscanxvrbq.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
March 24th 2015, 11:46
Nice! Jacob does good machine work! I like how Thorsten did the rockerbox ventilation.

Wally
March 25th 2015, 17:22
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Seats%20installed_zpsuexf2en3.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Seats%20installed_zpsuexf2en3.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
March 25th 2015, 17:31
Looks great! What will your valve size be?

graham
March 26th 2015, 01:47
I'm surprised to see you fitting cheap Chinese aftermarket parts to your car Walter :p :lmao:.

Lol,As always impressive stuff going on here. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of expertiese and craftsmanship some people are capable of producing.:notworthy: .

effvee
March 26th 2015, 08:52
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/Seats%20installed_zpsuexf2en3.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/Seats%20installed_zpsuexf2en3.jpg.html)

Man, that CNC technology, wow that's just so nice:D

effvee
March 26th 2015, 12:23
Man, that CNC technology, wow that's just so nice:D

Question, I note that you are at the stud holes, what's the max cylinder size those heads can go up to?

Wally
March 26th 2015, 14:40
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/11081354_809581592468920_6463938413186367970_n_zps 4xpoonk0.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/11081354_809581592468920_6463938413186367970_n_zps 4xpoonk0.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/11070178_809581612468918_8417252739579747104_n_zps 4cqbjpeh.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/11070178_809581612468918_8417252739579747104_n_zps 4cqbjpeh.jpg.html)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/11079632_809581625802250_123039461563307862_n_zpsm fnbir7w.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/11079632_809581625802250_123039461563307862_n_zpsm fnbir7w.jpg.html)

Mark, my valve size (remember mine is just a 98mm bore engine) will be 48x41. Nigel's engine (103x82, as you see in the above pics) has 50x41mm valves.

Francelle, these have stock type 4 pattern and size holes, so what you think is smart/safe to use as a max bore size is entirely up to you. same goes for valve size..

effvee
March 27th 2015, 08:54
Walter, inside the head, the intake; what do you use to produce that texture? I understand it's for air fuel atomization. Every time I tried to ruff up the intakes, I could never get that result:o

70Turbobug
March 28th 2015, 12:19
The best surface after porting is to sandblast the port.

Wally
April 25th 2015, 11:18
Only just saw your post...

Walter, inside the head, the intake; what do you use to produce that texture? I understand it's for air fuel atomization. Every time I tried to ruff up the intakes, I could never get that result:o

For the record: I did not port or machine or do anything to these heads. All work was done by Jakob Spring from Danmark. I mentioned his website before iirc.

My best guess however is that he used a rolled sandpaper bit in a drill or dremel to finalize smoothing of the port, which also gave it that structure.

Wally
May 31st 2015, 09:40
Finally found one (1, so it was cheap) front left caliper and was sooo curieus if it would fit the 350mm disks...

It did! :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/IMG_2561_zpsr9z11yxg.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/IMG_2561_zpsr9z11yxg.jpg.html)

Wally
July 17th 2016, 03:54
I see I need to update a bit here :)

Finally got the cylinders machined to fit the heads. I kept wall thickness as big as possible and ended up with almost 9mm wall in the 98mm bore!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_4271_zpshwcv45m2.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_4271_zpshwcv45m2.jpg.html)

First trial fit with heads and cylinders test-assembled:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_3854_zpsbtflotph.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_3854_zpsbtflotph.jpg.html)

70Turbobug
July 17th 2016, 10:14
Looks fantastic!

effvee
July 18th 2016, 05:13
I see I need to update a bit here :)

Finally got the cylinders machined to fit the heads. I kept wall thickness as big as possible and ended up with almost 9mm wall in the 98mm bore!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_4271_zpshwcv45m2.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_4271_zpshwcv45m2.jpg.html)

First trial fit with heads and cylinders test-assembled:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_3854_zpsbtflotph.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_3854_zpsbtflotph.jpg.html)

Wow,it look fast.

cookvw
July 19th 2016, 13:49
looking awesome as always wally!

chug_A_bug
July 29th 2016, 21:45
Very nice.. can't wait to see it all built..

Wally
August 13th 2016, 12:58
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_4307_zpsikgj6cn1.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_4307_zpsikgj6cn1.jpg.html)

The (Pauter) rods and straight cam timing gear are ordered, so I should have all parts for the long block in a month or so :)

effvee
August 13th 2016, 13:17
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Motoren/IMG_4307_zpsikgj6cn1.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Motoren/IMG_4307_zpsikgj6cn1.jpg.html)

The (Pauter) rods and straight cam timing gear are ordered, so I should have all parts for the long block in a month or so :)

Wow, didn't know, they allowed porn on this site :D. Very nicely done.

Bad bug
August 13th 2016, 14:23
Finally found one (1, so it was cheap) front left caliper and was sooo curieus if it would fit the 350mm disks...

It did! :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/IMG_2561_zpsr9z11yxg.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/IMG_2561_zpsr9z11yxg.jpg.html)

Walter is that a carbon disk rotor you have there, may i ask which hat are you using with the disk.

Bad bug
August 13th 2016, 14:26

Walter is this a ortech shroud.

Wally
August 13th 2016, 16:06
Yes, its an Orratech system. It wasn;t designed for type 1 exhaust port heads though, but thats easy.

The disk hat is original Porsche, but off-set is a few mm short.., so it doesn't work/fit at the moment and I need to adress that issue as well before I can drive again.
The off-set problem is not as simple as it sounds to be though.

On the positive side, I did find the other caliper!

cookvw
August 17th 2016, 10:05
looking awesome wally. cant wait to see this motor running and see what it will put out for power.

Wally
December 9th 2016, 18:52
Well, since the rods aren't still here yet, I'll thought to start om making the yellow calipers work.
It didn't.. the bolt spacing is bigger (142mm as opposed to the regular 130mm).

So, I started thinking of other solutions.
I kinda strayed towards using the original 996GT3 bearing carriers so the whole thing would fit. That just means adapting all other 3 fixation points: (shocks, tie rod and lower control arm).

Here was a test fit with a rear 996/986 wheel bearing carrier (front and rear are basically the same casting):
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/1303/IMG_5219_zpssia66dgv.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/1303/IMG_5219_zpssia66dgv.jpg.html)

effvee
December 9th 2016, 19:12
Hi, question, ars you going to use struts? I see the spindle hole is splined, is that one is for the rear correct? Your rods, have you ever heard of Gregg Cunningham? He made my rods.

Wally
December 10th 2016, 04:27
Yes, with (GT3 RS) struts from Sachs racing, also height adjustable and even with external reservoir. The spindle in the picture is indeed a rear (test dummy) spindle, even the wrong side spindle. Its just to get an idea ;)

Heard of Cunningham, but thats it. Mine will be from Pauter.

Wally
December 18th 2016, 16:40
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/Draagarmen%20verschil_zps5elfhmct.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/Draagarmen%20verschil_zps5elfhmct.jpg.html)

This would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't fit...
Alu one is porsche GT3 rear and just 0,5 kg
Original lower control arm is 2 kg!

H2OSB
December 22nd 2016, 20:00
Wally--

I like the look of those arms, though having the Porsche moniker would immediately make them too expensive for me, most likely.

I have always believed the LCAs and their inner mounts are the weak point of the 1302/03 front suspension. The mount hangs down a bit, ripe to be smacked into oblivion during an unfortunate off. I think one could create a more stout inner attachment meant for those Porsche rear arms that would accommodate the shorter length. The only immediate issue I see is the lack of mounting for the sway bar, or, better yet, a trailing arm to isolate the sway bar.

If you were to create a mount to use those arms, how would to attach the sway bar?

Wally
January 9th 2017, 15:32
The only immediate issue I see is the lack of mounting for the sway bar, or, better yet, a trailing arm to isolate the sway bar.

If you were to create a mount to use those arms, how would to attach the sway bar?

Good points!
Actually although many have deemed the original LCA's a weak point, I think the construction is pretty solid and a nice combination of a wishbone kind of way combining the sway bar into the suspension set-up.

There is indeed no way to use the pictured porsche parts due to lack of sway bar attachment.
Sooo, I have come upon a small company in germany that makes an aluminium LCA for the late 1303 out of 7075 aluminium. However, his small batch was already sold out. Next weekend I am able to see one of those sets on a new years VW event in germany (Herford).
Of course, I'll try to make a picture of said arms.

Here's the set on Mario Asstmann's reincarnation of a GSR:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/fusca03/Chassis/14713540_1816653968594760_5531542509722816546_n_zp sbdwk5fvy.jpg~original (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/fusca03/media/Chassis/14713540_1816653968594760_5531542509722816546_n_zp sbdwk5fvy.jpg.html)

and the rest of his car on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/gelb.schwarzer.renner.new.generation/photos/?ref=page_internal

H2OSB
January 10th 2017, 00:02
I like the look of those. Is that something still available? Are they super (no pun intended) expensive? Oh I saw the link. I will go look.

There is no doubt the original forged arms are plenty strong, but the stamped welded later arms are a weak point. You can stand on them and make them flex. Doesn't mean I won't get them sandblasted, prime then paint with black epoxy paint and use them...I'm just sayin.

H2OSB

Wally
January 14th 2017, 14:21
I like the look of those. Is that something still available? Are they super (no pun intended) expensive? Oh I saw the link. I will go look.

There is no doubt the original forged arms are plenty strong, but the stamped welded later arms are a weak point. You can stand on them and make them flex. Doesn't mean I won't get them sandblasted, prime then paint with black epoxy paint and use them...I'm just sayin.

H2OSB
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143169.jpg

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143168.jpg

Well, what can I say...I went to the german new years meet in Herford and the builder of those arms had 1 set reserved for someone that didn't wanted them after all. Soooo happy with them! Yes they are super expensive. They are also a a tiny bit longer then stock and are still 20% lighter then stock and a fair bit stronger: the material used is some sort of 7075 with a 10.9 comparable strongness. Its difficult to drill he said LOL!

Wally
January 15th 2017, 08:20
Found the right spark plugs for the heads :)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143173.jpg

SuperRSi
January 16th 2017, 00:40
Those arms are beautiful! Will they fit the 944 spindles?

Wally
January 16th 2017, 13:35
Those arms are beautiful! Will they fit the 944 spindles?

They are Even more IRL.
Yeah, the outer diameter of the 17mm 944 joints are the same as the 15mm 1303 ones after all right?

However, I want to try and install 996GT3 spindles and the accompanying ball jounts... That will be a challenge, especially as an american bank is holding my funds hostage I paid for the spindles...

ricola
January 16th 2017, 13:59
Why not just modify the chassis to take the 911 arms?

H2OSB
January 16th 2017, 19:40
Why not just modify the chassis to take the 911 arms?

You think you have all the answers, don't you ;)

Ricola, you're probably right, but those sure are pretty.

Wally, how much do those arms cost (ball park). Being slightly longer than stock, they might just solve my camber issue (n/a 944 spindles). Otherwise I'm going to mod the spindles strut flange to match the dimensions of the 1303 negative roll radius spindles. Also, can you link the source? I did look at the guy's build page but I didn't see a link for those arms.

H2OSB

Wally
January 17th 2017, 16:24
Don't ask what they cost, pls just don't :o ;)

They are mentioned on his site under 'alu querlenker' but without any details as they are 'sold out' (I got the last set remember :D)

http://bugvision.de/besonderheiten.html

There is an email adres on his site if you really want to know ;)

SuperRSi
January 21st 2017, 19:03
He says he is out. I tried...

H2OSB
January 22nd 2017, 15:46
Ugh, I heard back from the guy who makes them. Those arms are 650 Euros. Pretty though.

H2OSB

H2OSB
January 22nd 2017, 15:48
Look at the end of this thread. http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1244237#p1244237 This guy's LCAs look promising.

H2OSB

SuperRSi
January 22nd 2017, 22:52
Which guy did you hear back from? The original link told me to ask MBT if they were making them?

H2OSB
January 23rd 2017, 17:50
I wrote to the guy in the link given by Wally. I just used the contact page on his site. Guy by the name of Mathias Bartsch. Seemed real nice based upon his response to me. Said if you pre-order, you can pick your color. Also says they're for race use only.

Wally
February 11th 2017, 15:18
Got a bit further :)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143301.jpg

:D
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143302.jpg

effvee
February 12th 2017, 02:35
Got a bit further :)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143301.jpg

:D
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143302.jpg

MAN, he's showing car porn again, hey Mr. Site administrator:D:eek:

Wally
February 24th 2017, 12:13
Almost ready to go in the car again :)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143330.jpg

H2OSB
February 24th 2017, 17:30
freakin' gorgeous!

owdlvr
February 26th 2017, 01:28
That is beautiful.

effvee
February 26th 2017, 03:45
Nice,very nice Walter. Question, how are you going to pick up your oil? Sorry I meant where are you going to draw your oil from?

Correct me if I am wrong, one of the plus of the 13 fan is quieter running. By your fan using one more blade, does it produce more CFM?

graham
February 26th 2017, 08:34
Wow looking good Walter

Wally
February 26th 2017, 16:35
Tnx guys,

Francelle, no idea on the fan blade numbers.
There is an oil tank up front with big /16 line to the dry-sump oil pump. Its all just test fitting, although the engine now hangs again in the correct spot :):)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143358.jpg

effvee
February 26th 2017, 20:02
Wow AN-16, your pump gearotor or gears, what size gears:). I have a 38mm gear pump however Pauter sells a 26 mm gearotor pump. Then, there's the Autocraft dual savage pump. Walter I envy your steadfastness, $$hit I'm overall the place. Much love in your progress Walter.:(

owdlvr
February 26th 2017, 23:29
-16?! Whoa, that's coolant sized! We're running -12AN front to back for oil on Warwick's MK1 Escort Rally car, and that is borderline nutty. Well, you definitely shouldn't have any issues getting oil to the pump!

-Dave

Wally
February 27th 2017, 15:02
-16?! Whoa, that's coolant sized! We're running -12AN front to back for oil on Warwick's MK1 Escort Rally car, and that is borderline nutty. Well, you definitely shouldn't have any issues getting oil to the pump!

-Dave

Hmm, maybe its AN12 after all? yeah, must be considering your reactions :shocked:..sorry to have mislead you guys!
Its the braided line going upwards right side of the fan in the picture above. I also use it for turbo oil drain, which is indeed borderline crazy haha!
Nice one Dave!

Wally
February 27th 2017, 15:05
Wow AN-16, your pump gearotor or gears, what size gears:). I have a 38mm gear pump however Pauter sells a 26 mm gearotor pump. Then, there's the Autocraft dual savage pump. Walter I envy your steadfastness, $$hit I'm overall the place. Much love in your progress Walter.:(

Oil pump is my old Thorsten Pieper dry sump pump: 26/38mm. Its on the 5th engine already! First engine with this pump blew up (the old 2,7), so it even consumed some ceramic lifter (remember Schubeck?) particals... but it still gives me plenty pressure ;)

BTW Today my new turbo shipped... I have loads of pre-fun already :)

Rule09
March 2nd 2017, 14:36
No words needed! 👌🏼

Wally
March 2nd 2017, 14:48
Tnx Roel!

I'am happy as can be!

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143390.jpg

Steve C
March 2nd 2017, 22:43
Is that an EFR, my son has one on his RB30 drift car, amazing turbo

Wally
March 3rd 2017, 16:19
Is that an EFR, my son has one on his RB30 drift car, amazing turbo
Yes indeed it is!

Steve C
March 3rd 2017, 20:27
Beautiful turbo, so you have the turbine speed sensor as well

Wally
March 4th 2017, 07:29
Beautiful turbo, so you have the turbine speed sensor as well
It has the provision for it, but as I have enough things to figure out and install, using that option is very low on my list atm ;)

Steve C
March 7th 2017, 01:00
What size EFR did you go?

Wally
March 7th 2017, 19:19
What size EFR did you go?
According to the Birdman, exactly the same as your son's?

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143391.jpg

I also wound some heat wrap at some more critical points (its all the tape I had LOL):
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/143397.jpg

effvee
March 8th 2017, 00:48
Hi, possibly re-route that -16 above the exhaust, maybe not between. I can hear it cook:o.

owdlvr
March 8th 2017, 02:40
love a well-wrapped header...

Wally
March 8th 2017, 18:04
love a well-wrapped header
Yeah, it shuold keep temps under control.

Unfortunately, the header design prevents using the bottom plugs, so no twin spark operation in N/A mode anyways..

I had not thought of that tbh..

Made a lousy vid today of the running in, sound was absent due to my crappy phone which had probably noise overload...

https://youtu.be/FFUSaKPvHig

effvee
March 10th 2017, 06:55
Hey Walter, was that you in the race? If so, it revs nice. I noticed you touched the red line. If so, that G-50 is a real plus.

Since at the present, you are not running dual plugs, how do you protect the threads of the spark plug holes?

Congrats again sir:D

Wally
March 10th 2017, 08:17
Hey Walter, was that you in the race? If so, it revs nice. I noticed you touched the red line. If so, that G-50 is a real plus.

Since at the present, you are not running dual plugs, how do you protect the threads of the spark plug holes?

Congrats again sir:D

Yeah, on YouTube some other vids of 5 years ago and older probably show up when you check out the above vid ;)
I'll try to make a better vid as I found out why my proper camera stops after 4 seconds video (too low quality SD card...).

I have just turned in the appropiate plugs in the bottom holes. They are not that expensive. easy peasy :)

Tnx!

Wally
March 11th 2017, 14:28
It runs now with proper sound ;-)

https://youtu.be/ZrS7QzO2DT8

effvee
March 11th 2017, 19:04
It runs now with proper sound ;-)

https://youtu.be/ZrS7QzO2DT8

Nice, very nice:shocked:. Looks good to:)

Wally
December 5th 2017, 08:55
In the meantime...

I had it on the dyno :D

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4476/37610404292_39e9bb81b9_b.jpg

https://youtu.be/G1FPuZj_lwk

Pretty decent result, although I had hoped for even a little better.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4473/24132844688_dcf3871ef5_b.jpg

Atm, the topside (intake, exhaust) has been removed in order to upgrade the clutch and to make the turbo primary twin-scroll header. Turbo has found its place as well:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4538/26863559729_6c40e7e8c6_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4585/38627940662_e38374573a_b.jpg

So far for now.

ricola
December 5th 2017, 13:16
Great to see it back on the road Wally :)

effvee
December 5th 2017, 15:59
Hey Walter, how much boost? What are the graph in good old American horsepower. I see that you have utilized your inside parcel tray, now you got some more room right on. Double disc four puk question why not the 8 puk? Will the engagement be more harsh for the street. Is your build transforming more toward pure track and race? That flywheel/clutch looks like it means business.:D Right on, looks NICE WALTER:)http://s86.photobucket.com/user/effvee/media/2012-05-05_20-00-22_100.jpg.html?sort=3&o=112

Wally
December 5th 2017, 17:47
What are the graph in good old American horsepower.

2000 US horsepower :D :lmao:

effvee
December 5th 2017, 18:53
Wow:cool:

Wally
December 19th 2017, 17:32
IIRC, 4-puck is all Tilton sells these days. The former shape of full disk which had 6 divided parts on the disk, just isn;t available anymore.. The centers are stronger too btw, with 8 instead of 6 bolts iirc, so more little changes have been done to the design at Tilton.
I'll just trust them to know what they are doing ;)

Just reinstalled the Cup brace and for the first time, the scatter shield I had made a while ago already (needed for certain tracks here):

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4735/27388798589_daaac5e065_b.jpg

Wally
December 24th 2017, 15:32
Building the header over the holidays

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4729/38560310304_6040776096_b.jpg

effvee
December 24th 2017, 15:45
Very nice Walter.

graham
December 27th 2017, 02:09
This car just gets better and better

rioprelude
December 28th 2017, 01:51
Wally, any other pics of the new transmission mount? It's my next project on my build, after I get caught up around the house.

effvee
December 28th 2017, 02:08
Building the header over the holidays

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4729/38560310304_6040776096_b.jpg

Walter, what size are your header tubes.

Wally
January 4th 2018, 05:41
Francelle: they are 39mm inner diameter and 42mm outer diameter (1,5mm wall stainless 304).
Still on the large side for the engine size and anticipated power levels, but its what I could get the parts for most easily and the same size as the former 2,2 engine had.

I'll try and look up some other pics of the tranny mount and combined scatter shield. Its basically the steel upgrade engine lower mount from Gerd Weiser (GWD.de ,others sell it too), where I have flexed off the flat part and substituted it with 10cm wide and 6mm thick plate to serve as a scatter shield. Its protocol here to enter dragraces if you drive under 11.99 iirc...

Wally
May 13th 2018, 05:10
Intake building this WE:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/981/42075581051_3d863abcd9_o.jpg

volkdent
May 13th 2018, 23:31
Can’t wait for the new numbers!

Jason

dub_crazee
May 17th 2018, 01:14
I can’t believe how much this has changed since I was last on the forum! Great work Walter it’s truely inspiring! In fact I’m still drawing inspiration off your original boosted 914 set up!! Now that was a long time ago! What figures are you expecting from your
New set up and what boost are you going to be running? Will you be running with the duck tail intercooler or something different?

Wally
May 17th 2018, 04:34
I can’t believe how much this has changed since I was last on the forum! Great work Walter it’s truely inspiring! In fact I’m still drawing inspiration off your original boosted 914 set up!! Now that was a long time ago! What figures are you expecting from your
New set up and what boost are you going to be running? Will you be running with the duck tail intercooler or something different?

Thanks for these nice words man!

My goal from the beginning has been to achive 400hp (crank) at no more then 1.0 bar boost (14,7psi).
For that the engine should have been at about 190-200hp N/A. Since I came close, but not exactly made those numbers, it will be 'nerve wrecking' to learn what the actual results will be..

Tbh, the engine was hardly tuned and still had some flaws (rockers hitting valve cover stands, exhaust leak, hence AFR readings were off), so maybe a little more would have been possible.

For now, I have put in the smallest wastegate springs there were in the box (7 psi or 0,5 bar), so on wastegate I hope to make 300hp. There is no wastegate exhaust fitted at all atm, so it dumps on top of the gearbox for now. Hope that doesn't kill some parts or whatever...Still lots to do therefore.

For an intercooler I was dead set to keep everything inside the engine lid, but that would mean a custom intercooler ($$) and that is just not in the books for now.
So I have indeed dug out my old intercooler and ducktail set-up and fortunately, everything seems to still fit and the needed piping was easy to build from tubing I had lying around.

To my immense satisfaction, I also finally was able to attach the twin spark and made the wiring work with how I wanted the coils to be positioned (le-ri either side of the engine bay) :)

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/145410.jpg

Intake piping for the ducktail intercooler finished as well:
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/145408.jpg

Clatter
May 17th 2018, 23:37
Keep us posted on the progress!

Love being back here to see this coming together again...

Surprised you decided to run the hot side of things up above;
Figured you would want it 'downstream' of the cooling air..
What made you decide to go this way?

Wally
May 18th 2018, 04:19
Its a combination of factors to route the headers that way: mainly the orientation of the type 1 ports and my desire to construct a equal length system with as short pipes as possible.

The horizontal cooling made it then possible. It also neccesitated that the turbo was placed over the transmission and hence the need for the firewall to be replaced further backwards.

It took a LOT of work to accomplish those goals, but thats why its a hobby right? ;)

Wally
June 1st 2018, 12:53
In the meantime I got it running and drove it to our annual dynoday on its second drive :lmao:
So, no tuning, no safety connected, but it did 0,5-0,7bar and got to 270hp at just 5000 rpm when the ignition fell out due to me not installing the twin spark wires in the correct way..

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/976/41425581115_6774af56de_b.jpg

Compared to the N/A run, it already doubled its hp, so I have good hopes for the 1 bar shootout one of these days :cool:

After the dyno I rerouted the CAI to just under the car. Should help the intake temps some more I hope/suppose.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1751/41775506944_39a5d8ddc0_b.jpg

Downpipe and the wastegate exhausts are now also wrapped, which should do s/th for the heat as well. Plus a new lambda sensor. so I can finally tune the b*tch!
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1723/42498092581_5d9a2b432e_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/901/41595077015_1b5d08c749_b.jpg

dub_crazee
June 3rd 2018, 17:17
That’s awesome Walter, great work. Somehow I missed out on your change of heads.....must have been half asleep reading your thread!! Really excited to see what you manage at 1 bar!!

Wally
June 20th 2018, 11:09
Tnx!
Well, I am not at 1 bar yet, but at 0,65 bar she was already fast(est) at our national beetle event this year (IKW Wanroij http://www.ikwwanroij.nl/index.php/activiteiten#sprint)

Found some issues with lambda monitoring, ignition and a wrongly installed breather :o
But that was the reason I went (finding issues) ;)

https://youtu.be/mORbikvqoy4

owdlvr
June 20th 2018, 13:01
Wally, can you save me scrolling through 100 pages? What fenders are you using, and how was the fit?

Wally
June 20th 2018, 14:33
Haha: just the usual: Kerscher, awesome fit (because german :-))
fronts +3cm outside, rears +7cm inside&outside widenend

owdlvr
June 20th 2018, 17:34
Awesome! Thanks for that. The awesome fit being the most important part of buying fenders ;)

412STi
June 23rd 2018, 10:58
Hi

The Kerscher Fender are the best you can get.
My brother in law already bought from several manufacturers, but those of Kerscher are by far the best fit.

Only for the short front end there is no version with horizontal headlights.

Wally
July 2nd 2018, 04:51
Cool avatar 412STi !
Would like to see a project topic about your car ;-)

Wrt my issues: I think I have got the lambda issues (so closed loop fuelling wseems to work again) covered now (PID values in the settings needed a different values then before somehow) and did not get any blow-outs anymore last time I went WOT on twin-spark and wastegate springs... so maybe the blow-outs (with the plug wires correctly installed) were AFR related (way too fat or lean) after all?

I'll keep you guys updated on any progress made :-)

412STi
July 2nd 2018, 14:04
Hi Wally
Thank you

You know me.
I contact you for infos about the brakeconversion to your former 412 sedan.
My project is progressing very slowly.
At the moment a Subaru gear is being prepared and in a few days/week I will get an almost new 2.0Ltr. Turbo (ex 2010 Forester XT)
I can not keep up with the brakes because the parts from Lanner / flat are missing.
But first I have to do a lot on the body.

If there's really something to show, I'll describe the conversion here.

Gerold

Wally
July 3rd 2018, 09:07
Ah, I know now ;-)
Sounds great mate! I'll be awaiting your results patiently!

412STi
July 3rd 2018, 11:29
I do, but as written, it's only going very very slowly.

Is your car running?
Then fill up the gastank and come to our meeting next weekend in Groß-Gerau http://kbcgg.de

CU

Gerold