GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So you want camber plates 'eh (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1701)

SprintStar March 14th 2003 23:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Farmer
These rear spring plate replacemt things are ONLY nescessary on race cars or really really hi power cars. They do nothing to the camber, but you can adjust the toe in/out in a second. anyone telling ya different is only going for your wallet.

But if someone came up with a good idea to a front camber/caster adjuster especially for 69-73 Super beetles, now THAT would be interesting.

There's a post before yours with a link to a nice one from Australia...

By the way, are the rear spring plate replacements necessary on street car for the weight/load transfer to the torsion housing instead of mounting points or is that just crap?

Thanks.

Sprint.

lightning bug March 15th 2003 00:04

IMO I feel they would be necessary, race or street. The weight transfer will be there regardless. But then again, what's different than having the torsion bars there or not. Something to be researched more. As far as toe adjustment,t hey wouldn't adjust your toe at all. Also, why would you want to adjust toe on the rear of the car? Adjusting the toe-in or -out is done on the front tires. Toe-in is safer and more stable, as toe-out will allow you to "turn in" quicker into the turns. A slight toe-out can be used on the street, but your car could possibly be less stable at higher speeds and will increase tire wear.

SprintStar March 15th 2003 04:16

Quote:

Originally posted by lightning bug
IMO I feel they would be necessary, race or street. The weight transfer will be there regardless. But then again, what's different than having the torsion bars there or not. Something to be researched more.
OK. But if I want to run 944 arms and spring plates with coilovers, what torsion bars should I get?

Quote:

As far as toe adjustment,t hey wouldn't adjust your toe at all. Also, why would you want to adjust toe on the rear of the car? Adjusting the toe-in or -out is done on the front tires. Toe-in is safer and more stable, as toe-out will allow you to "turn in" quicker into the turns. A slight toe-out can be used on the street, but your car could possibly be less stable at higher speeds and will increase tire wear.
You need to be about to adjust the rear toe angle to make sure your trust angle is straight, else the car will forever go left or right...

Sprint.

lightning bug March 16th 2003 20:30

Right. When you unbolt the 3 bolts on the springplate, you can adjust the toe. What I meant was that I don't see how the Eagle plates would be different than the stock. Shouldn't have said at all. My bad. Sure you need to for alignment purposes. I thought we were talking for performance reasons to adjust the rear toe. Bad choice of words on my part. I'll shut up now. :D :D

SprintStar March 16th 2003 22:00

Quote:

Originally posted by lightning bug
Right. When you unbolt the 3 bolts on the springplate, you can adjust the toe. What I meant was that I don't see how the Eagle plates would be different than the stock. Shouldn't have said at all. My bad. Sure you need to for alignment purposes. I thought we were talking for performance reasons to adjust the rear toe. Bad choice of words on my part. I'll shut up now. :D :D
Hehe... It's MONDAY! Have a good week ahead! :D