GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Front air spoiler (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3301)

jrinlv November 15th 2003 02:20

Front air spoiler

In the general galleries, on page 6, last row, the blue bug 3rd down, is that custom made or can you buy it, any info would be great Thanks JR

jrinlv November 15th 2003 15:28

Sorry to make you guys look all over the place but I can not link it. Sorry JR

samcat November 16th 2003 07:19

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/0443.jpg

Russ fellows bug.
I *THINK* its a custom one off job.... Never seen a similar one before.

Cya,
Sam C

BOBTAIL November 29th 2003 14:50

Its made in F/Glass and simple to make, using a card template or plywood to get the curvature of the front.

I can't remember where Russ got this from, Sorry :(

juse July 22nd 2006 11:30

I`ve been digging some old post as you can see...but that spoiler has caught my eye more than once. Its simple enough to DIY and simple is beautiful if you ask me.
But has anyone improved that type of spoiler? I started to think it with a splitter or a "lip"...
Justin

jrinlv July 26th 2006 16:55

How did they go about holding it on the car, This is the route I would like to go.....JR

juse July 26th 2006 23:05

Russ`s car was featured in UltraVW:
http://www.chpltd.com/ultra_vw/terminator.html
Nice car all in all.
Justin

judgie July 28th 2006 05:19

1 Attachment(s)
with mine i went a bit further!

juse July 29th 2006 15:12

Quote:

with mine i went a bit further!
Mean looking thing youve got there...but a bit too much for a street car that I`m building.
I think I`ll just copy Russ`s spoiler (sorry and thanks to Russ) and add an lip to it.
Justin

wrascal November 30th 2006 22:07

1 Attachment(s)
:D Hi Guys,
I found some nice bumper covers that incorporate the spoiler into them from www.memoimports.com for $299 for the pair. I hope the attachment works.
Wrascal:cool:

volkdent December 1st 2006 02:41

Not really going to help with aerodynamics, probably will hurt it, but if rice is your thing...

My $.02.

Jason

EvilAngel December 27th 2006 02:44

Do you guys really think tose are ricey... damn! :bawling:

oasis December 28th 2006 11:28

I'm not sure where the "rice" comment was directed ...

http://www.chpltd.com/ultra_vw/images/terminator_00.jpg
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/att...6&d=1154078362
http://memoimports.com/1002S_1001H_smoke_on.JPG

... but my experience with a Kamei spoiler would suggest the first two would definitely help with aerodynamics, and I can't see how the bottom one would hurt.

The last one is a bumper cover so it may work with a Kamei or the other two if a bumper were added so the bumper cover could be used.

I didn't see the bumper cover listed at the site for sale at $299 or any other price although they do have pics incorporating it.

I'm not sure how any of the items are "rice." Then again, I am no expert on where things belong on labeled shelves ... I only know what I like and don't like.

(I see the middle one didn't post as a pic. Oh well.)

Bullyboy December 28th 2006 14:47

I think he was referring to the bottom one
But it just looks like a pontiac front end to me:laugh:
I don't think it would have near the effect of the Kamei spoiler.
To each his own.

I would like to see a kamei knock off that would attach to my 61' that works as good as the spoiler on our 73' Super.

EvilAngel December 28th 2006 19:01

Well as you can see from my tiny avatar i've got the bottom one. I really cannot say if it improves aerodynamics or not, since my project is still beginning and i still have a stock 1600cc, and cannot achieve important speeds. Anyway, just for the record, that kit also includes a rear bumper cover. BTW my front cover does NOT have the "Sport GT" letters, so it may be a little less ricey (if any).
I really don't think it'll hurt aerodynamics, but it probably won't help either

ECBug December 28th 2006 19:39

Where did you buy yours? Id like to see more pics.

EvilAngel December 28th 2006 20:07

I got it from my local car parts shop. These are actually made by a mexican bodykit company called Automagic, unfortunately their website is so bad that you can see they have a kit for the bug (a.k.a. sedan) but when you click on the link the page says they have none yet.
http://www.auto-magic.com.mx/product...&SubMarcaID=33

The link is in spanish, but it just says that they currently have no products in that category.
There's a very similar bodykit made by airdesign[HERE], too.

A couple pics of mi car, (they're a bit old):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...685_2_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...685_1_full.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7...0986640vg0.jpg

What's different about this bumper covers is that unlike a bodykit that's moulded to the main body, this things keep the body-bumper gap that usually exists in a bug.

ECBug December 28th 2006 20:33

Looks good! Some wheels and a drop and your good to go.

EvilAngel December 28th 2006 20:44

Thanks! BTW, I'm just waiting for my dropped spindles to arrive so i can check clearance before i choose my wheels. :D

ECBug December 28th 2006 21:13

Good deal.

oasis December 29th 2006 11:13

But ... why can't one have a Kamei spoiler and a bumper cover assuming both can be found?

EvilAngel December 29th 2006 16:19

Well i don't see why not, appareantly both cant be mounted at the same time.

volkdent January 1st 2007 14:50

My only reason for saying it was ricey is that IMO it doesn't add anything to the car, in fact, it may even be worse aerodynamically. When I see the guys with 100 extra lbs of fiberglass, bondo, and paint on their Hondas with a coffee can exhaust tip that adds nothing to the performance and makes it worse too, and the majority of those modifications are on cars that actually are 'ricers', it just a shoe fits kinda thing. I don't think it looks bad at all, and yes I'm talking about the 'Sport GT' cover, but the others, along with the Aero fenders from Aus, try to limit the amount of air that goes under the car, while that cover looks to be a similar if not worse shape for a 'dam' than the stock bug front end, and also has extra drag incorporated into it. So it wasn't a slam at all, I just feel the German Look thing tends to focus on performance enhancing modifications, and that is the name of this site. Fellow's front 'dam' is not that attractive to me either, but I bet it works really well, and his car is IMO definately German Look! I'll be bulding one with a similar theme to that, working on making it a little more attractive at the same time, just to satisfy my personal "Look" needs!:laugh:

EvilAngel January 1st 2007 15:29

volkdent, i agree with you saying that it probably adds nothing to the bug's aerodynamics, and it does add weight. And yes, GL is all about "form follows function", and using these covers is really not about function. I'm using them mainly because i wanted foglights, (which is a function, tough not a performance enhancement). Anyway, i want to see how it looks/deflects air after i drop the car, and i've been thinking about closing the air dam holes in the covers, and probably molding it to a different shape, to be a real arodynamic enhancement. That or just putting a kamei underneath, if i ever manage to get one

On a different note, my car was crashed about six months ago, and i had the front cover replaced with one with much smaller dam vents (don't know where the insurance got it from), and the shape of the current cover is such that the air will crash with the car body and not with the cover, at the lowest part of the front midline. Interestingly, this leaves a shape that, when looked from the front, reminds the air deflecting fenders from australia.

oasis January 3rd 2007 03:01

Bumpers are a grey area with German Look as far as I am concerned.

Any bumper that adds the function of safety is going to have weight. Standard bumpers by their very design stick out. Carbon fiber bumpers are strictly for show as they would explode under any meaningful impact. No one makes a carbon-kevlar hybrid.

At least the bumper cover eliminates the space between bumper and body. That should aid some in aerodynamics even if its lower profile and rounded features do not.

I have trouble believing the cover weighs 100 pounds. Being on the front, it should help the percentage of weight distribution front-to-back.

EvilAngel January 3rd 2007 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasis (Post 56083)
I have trouble believing the cover weighs 100 pounds. Being on the front, it should help the percentage of weight distribution front-to-back.

Well they dont eliminate the space, but they reduce it GREATLY. And there is a rear cover too, so there may not be so effective with weight distribution, unless of course you only use one. They actually weight about 15 punds (aprox)

Veedub January 9th 2007 00:33

hey since you guys are on the subject of spoilers. :D
can a kamei spoiler work on the stock 72 standard bug bumper?it looks pretty cool.not really a fan of that bumper cover, it looks good on your car but it would look terrible on my bug:laugh:

ECBug January 9th 2007 09:07

It would be cool if you could add a scoop or something to the holes in the bumper cover and run ducts to cool the brakes or even for a bit of fresh air in the car.

oasis January 9th 2007 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veedub (Post 56218)
can a kamei spoiler work on the stock 72 standard bug bumper?

There are Kamei front spoilers available for '68-'73 standards and Supers. Just make sure when you order, you are getting the right one.

Link to US distributor

EDIT: I saw this ad during lunch. (I do not know the seller and have no connection with the ad other than its reporting).

EvilAngel January 12th 2007 14:08

Well that's one of the cool things about GL, there's no strict set of rules. BTW I will add a kamei under the cover when the time comes, and it wont be apparent.

Carbon Joe January 16th 2007 01:22

Now that I'm making bumpers, would anyone be interested in a combination bumper/spoiler? What I'm thinking is joining a C/F bumper with a C/F Kamie spoiler making them one peace. I would use a 68/73 bumper with or without signals and reshape the spoiler a bit. I also want to add vents and maybe lights to the spoiler, what do you think good idea, bad idea, anyone interested???

volkdent January 16th 2007 01:53

I'm thinking good idea if you use a Kevlar mix? Wouldn't the CF crack when a curb or somthing is hit? How many ply? How thick? CF is just to rigid to flex isn't it?

Jason

Carbon Joe January 16th 2007 02:32

The bumpers are about .100 thick I could make the spoiler a little thinner. I was thinking of shortening the spoiler about an inch at the bottom and adding a replaceable rubber lip, kind of like a scraper. Do you think that would work?

chug_A_bug January 16th 2007 05:19

I'm so in on that :) what would be sweet.

Chris.

Bullyboy January 16th 2007 09:39

I would like to see a kamei spoiler copy that would work on early cars. Mines a 61' .

oasis January 16th 2007 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon Joe (Post 56319)
Now that I'm making bumpers, ...

You are?

That's great news.

I have some planning and replanning to do.

Carbon Joe January 16th 2007 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasis (Post 56334)
You are?

That's great news.

I have some planning and replanning to do.

Yes, I have the molds for 74/79 bumpers and I'm working on a set of 68/73 I'm not sure if anyone would want early C/F bumpers.

Bullyboy,
I'll look into it.

I'm also working on the molds for C/F bumper brackets for 68/73 bumpers.

Phat73VW January 16th 2007 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon Joe (Post 56319)
Now that I'm making bumpers, would anyone be interested in a combination bumper/spoiler? What I'm thinking is joining a C/F bumper with a C/F Kamie spoiler making them one peace. I would use a 68/73 bumper with or without signals and reshape the spoiler a bit. I also want to add vents and maybe lights to the spoiler, what do you think good idea, bad idea, anyone interested???

Like I said to you before I would be interested especially since it would utilize the 68-73 bumper size. You have email Joe!!

ECBug January 16th 2007 14:44

I'd like to see the combo myself. I could dig that.

oasis January 16th 2007 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon Joe (Post 56340)
I'm working on a set of 68/73 ... bumpers.

I'm also working on the molds for C/F bumper brackets for 68/73 bumpers.

I assume that means kevlar-carbon is possible, too.

Also, would a genuine Kamei spoiler and driving lights be able to bolt on?