GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your definition of the Germanlook style? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

wannabug November 28th 2002 02:07

so with the german look does it start with a superbeetle or can any year beetle be considered germanlook. the only reason i ask this is because almost everybody has a super. i am a newbie and am trying to learn as much as possible. i would like to build one for myself and then my daughters. thanks chris

trevorbrady November 28th 2002 04:58

Chris, unless I missed something here, the whole thrust of this discussion is Germanlook/Eurolook is whatever you want it to be. You don't HAVE to start with a '75 super beetle, or a '53 oval, it doesn't matter. There's even German/Euro bay window busses out there.

It's more a state of mind: you (the owner/builder/driver) strives to improve the breed, by adding on components that will enhance the performance and driveability of your VW.

As it happens, a lot of these components can be borrowed from modern cars (and not just Porsches!). The 'looks' end of things will probably follow on naturally, like if you put on a set of light alloy wheels to improve the cars handling, they generally look better than the steel wheels they replace. Also when you lower your car, it generally looks better.

As with a lot of things "Form Follows Function" kind of by accident!

Don't be rail-roaded into thinking you've got to find a '72 standard model beetle or something to start your project on, or that you've got to have these wheels or those brakes to make your car "Germanlook". Keep it loose, and keep the idea of improving what VW gave you in mind...

Supa Ninja December 4th 2002 12:43

I spent Thanksgiving with one of good Cal Look friends in SoCal. Anyways he's a old school cal look guy from the 70's and I was very curious what he thought German Look was so I asked him and he simply said "It's the way Porsche would build a Bug".

regis101 December 8th 2002 02:38

My understanding is that the later model beetles were upgraded with beefier engines and suspension parts so as not to get run over on the Autobahn. Cosmetics are a personal evolution that morphed into the "look". But it remains the fact that it's based on performance. Ask a German.

kdanie December 8th 2002 21:16

Regis101,
That's exactly how my project got started..... I almost got run over by a tour bus at 72mph on Hy 101 here in NorCal.
My trash bug (daily driver) can run 75mph but it's working pretty hard, 80mph is downright scarry! Why did VW put the nose on '68s so high in the air anyway? It just catches air under the nose and give you one wild ride!
Anyway, I started looking at type 4 power, then a 5 speed came into the picture. If you can go fast you better be able to stop fast too so the 944 brakes got installed and you might as well be comfortable at those speeds so 911 seats are in order and with the $$$ in the engine a 914 tack with 912 speedo to match with VDO ****pit gages to monitor vitals. Poof! I've got a GL! (well 2/3ds anyway, this spring I hope!) Damn, this mission creep is killing me!!
ken

Jim Andritsakos December 17th 2002 18:41

German look originally started from Germany from people who put as much as possible Porsche parts to their VWs.If a car does not have at least Porsche brakes & wheels and a huge type IV engine with 911 cooling kit it is not real German look for me.

Modern alloys and CB brakes are modern/euro look not real German Look.

:tisktisk:

oasis December 18th 2002 11:45

Hi,

I am fairly new to all of this. Nevertheless, I have done a lot of reading because the 1303 (most likely) I will buy and modify will be my first owned air-cooled VW.

From what I have read, the German Look came from people who wanted to emulate the cars driven in the Kafer Cup races. Interestingly, very few of those cars have Porsche wheels from the photos I have seen. (I don't know about the brakes since I can't read German.)

I surely hope the GL -- or as some would have it, the "real," "true," "genuine," <whatever> GL -- doesn't evolve into a pigeon-holed standard like the American Kennel Club does for breeds of canines, or the Cal Look scene for that matter.

The sameness of the Cal Look is boring. (Yes, this is my opinion only. Then again, this is my post.) The only thing that sets most apart from each other is the extent and cleanliness of each owner's car. It is no wonder so many of the winners at shows and featured cars in the US mags are trailered in/trailered out.

Zzzzzzzzzz.

I personally don't want another auto manufacturer's emblem on my future project. That's my preference. That's not to say I don't appreciate a GLer with Porsche wheels. Indeed, I do.

More importantly, I want a product that will improve the car's performance on the highways and byways. That seems to me to be more the essence of the GL than a brand name.

Perhaps, it is the semantics of this whole thing: German Look.

Does "German" mean everything has to be German? Does "Look" mean everything has to be made to a specific standard?

I hope not.

Because I will still make my car the way I want. And I will avoid the high-and-mighties with their clipboard full of preconceptions like a rash.

MOO,
René

vujade December 18th 2002 12:37

exactly Oasis..:)

I think that the GermanLook evolved the way it did because of the desire to make the cars more modern.

The only reason Porsche stuff is so prevelent is because of the ease of adaptation to a VW (They are very close cousins :) )

I dont think anyone is trying to be a Porsche for that matter.
It would just be eaiser to buy a Porsche, then try to make one.

I think most of us, & especially myself included are not trying to transform my BUG into a Porsche, but are just trying to make the best handling, fastest accelerating VW to come off the assembly line.

Which is more fun too you?
Beating someone while driving a Porsche?
Or whooping up on someone while driving a fast VW?

just a though to ponder:

Leather Driving Gloves $49
180 HP Type 4 Motor $6000
Seeing the look on their face when you beat them in your VW... PRICELESS! :)

Michael Ghia December 27th 2002 08:22

German look?

To me the car doesn't have to look different from a Cal-look car but it has to have a different purpose.

Cal-look came about because of the Drag racing scene.
German-look came about because of track racing. A completely different idea.
If it's meant to handle, stop and accelerate like a track car... it's a German Look car to me.

It's all in the performance. Anything goes so far as I'm concerned in looks

Mike Ghia

Vyper January 16th 2003 20:15

Re: German look?

Here's my 10 pence/cents worth:

I own a 72 GT Beetle

porsche 944 interior
carbon fibre dash panels, running boards (new ones from Joe v soon to replace my CSP ones). fire wall, more on the way...
VDO dials
New Beetle (concept 6 spoke alloys)
Memo import lights front, rear, and bumper indicators
type 1 engine (being rebuilt to 1776 twin dells currently)
Modern mirrors with home installed m3 side repeaters

What style is it? MY style! :D

I thank you
:silly:

Vyper

mabus013 February 13th 2003 01:58

personally, I found out what the german look was after I'd already figured out what I wanted to do with the beetle (that I'd bought a Super Beetle unknowingly definately helped). I basically wanted to combine my loves for Street/Hot Rods with import cars. I wanted to build a car with street rod-esque touches (pretty much impossible to get from modern cars, unless you want a muscle car aura) that would go, handle, and be compact and light weight, and that had a good aftermarket following so I wouldn't have to one-off everything. The beetle is capable of all this and more if done right. On top of this, it's one of the cheapest cars to modify, even more so than classic Chevys.

That said, I'm grateful to find others out their with similiar goals, whatever the movement is called. I'd hate to have to go this alone.

One man's opinion,
M13

chigger February 13th 2003 11:50

I got started back in the bug scene about 7 years ago. The first thing I wanted to do after I bought a bug was to upgrade it to make it more drivable. Better brakes, better tires, HEAT, etc. As my designs progressed it came apparent that I wanted to upgrade my bug to the 21st century and maintain the external look of the classic bug. Basically I wanted to upgrade the mechanicals, but since I am not very good with body work keep the stock or near stock exterior and interior. All that has changed due to evolution.
The chassis was the first to be upgraded. I used alot of porsche parts, because they were cheap and worked. While I like other wheels alot better a set of 7x16 Phonedials with tires for $150 is hard to argue with. Alot of choices were also made due to availability. When I got started there were only a few choices for brakes, lowering the suspension, sway bars, etc. The choices we have now are alot more available.
I bought a 70 body because it has the tail lights I like and it doesn't have the rear fresh air vents which seem to like to rust out the rear quarter panels. And it was cheap and available.
Overall I looked at all the different years of cars and the different aftermarket parts and decided on what I liked and what would work and started collecting parts. Then along came the euro or german look forums and the people on the forums were doing similar things to their cars. I have been in heaven ever since.
This is what I am doing. It is what I like. If it fits into a certain style fine, if not so what! I like it and I have to drive the car.

1970 standard with 70 rear tail lites maybe frenched
1961 front fenders with shaved signal lites
Oval tube bumpers bent to match the curve of the early cars
A front air dam of my own design
A small rear wing of my own design
Body chrome , but none on the windows
Stock lightly tinted window glass (factory option)
H4 headlights, round yellow fogs and round driving lights
(I will be driving this car daily)
Level lowered stance about 2 /12 inch
7x 16 Porsche Phonedials polished with 205 55 tires
BMW sport seats (I think they are Recarro, got them cheap)
914 guages (they fit are big, they will work and they were cheap)
HEAT
Aluminum door panels, dash, and glove box
Roll cage with four way harness
To many chassis mods to discuss them all

My vision is a comfortable car that will cruise fast, stick to the road, and brake hard, yet be able to be driven reliabilely on a daily basis. Is it a GL? I don't know. I just know I will like it.
How about a grey hammertone spray can paint job. I have spent all my money on the engine.

TitoRay February 13th 2003 17:05

A guy I work with, who is from Brazil, and doesn't speak perfect English, after a few seconds of word searching said this about my car, which isn't even GL all the way yet, "I likes because, well, *shrug*, it is old car, but it looks like new one.":cool:
I kinda smiled to myself, knowing what he meant(he has no idea about the German Look). Its the most general definition I have heard, but yet oh so accurate.;)

super vw November 18th 2003 01:25

To me the so called "German look" is what you make it to be, it could just be the style you put into your car such as wheels and other parts, all the way to the extreme of upgrading and modifying things like porsche gear boxes, chassis, bodies and engines and suspention "mods". i also think there are guide lines to this style or look, i have seen a few people on the net saying they have a germanlooker or Euro looker but in reality they dont, stock bodies, engine and runing gear and such shoudent be counted as a GL car.
Also i do question why we call it German look, i mean hey... all our cars are german made so wouldent all german made cars be considered a GL?
Personly im going for a GL looker in a way, i do have Porsche wheels (16" Fuchs), and other Porsche goodies inside such as 911 seats, steering wheel and a 911 style dashboard (soon to be carbon fiber). but i dont like to clasify my car as just a GL, but rather MY style of GL... and thats what it should be about, not totaly copying or going with a trend of what some one else is doing... but going with what you want and need out of your car.
:silly:

Axl R December 8th 2003 23:30

I am quite new to the German- or Euro-look . I find this look a refreshing new idea compared to the aging and boring "Cal-look". As said in other posts , the Cal-look is becoming very much a cookie-cutter look , and there doesn't seem to be anything new coming down the pipe in the near future to keep my interest up . Occaisionally , a car will come along that stands out , but it is usually few and far between . I like how the German-look takes some of the better parts of the Cal-look(I know that I am going to get an arguement on this point) and incorporates it into something newer and more exciting . To me , this is the next evolution of the Cal-look . I am excited about where this look is heading . Axl :)

Axl R December 24th 2003 23:55

Hey !

I'm going to piss off alot of people with this post , but I've never been one to play it safe . I just went through the section on member's rides , and I have to say that it appears to me that most of these so called "german-lookers" are actually "cal-look" cars . When I look at alot of these pictures , I don't see anything that would qualify these cars as Euro-styling . They are still running on empi-style 15" rims with old fashioned dual carbed type 1 engines and drum brakes(I'm a mechanic , I look for the mechanical details) . Don't get me wrong , they are still nice cars , but last time I looked , the site was called the GermanLook Forum , not CalLook Forums . I did see some very good examples of a german-look cars , but they were few and far between .
I know that I am going to get some dirty looks my way , and I definately look forward to any constructive critisism . Axl :takethat:

super vw December 25th 2003 01:24

i here ya, i have noticed this a bit aswell. not just on this site, but others aswell. my 1303 wont be a pure GL but a car that has porsche style and a little performance kick. i dont have the money to do one full on with a type-4, 915 trany...ect. so im doing a auto cross daily driver fun car. type-1 motor, porsche brakes/wheels, porsche seats dash, and we cant forget suspention upgrades... just nothing to intense like you see on some of them "pure" GL cars$$$. but some day i will build a GL with all the works when i have the money, being a teen its hard to do anything more without the suport of filthy rich parents (dont have that).

Supa Ninja December 25th 2003 02:01

Majority of the cars in the members rides, including myself, are under construction. Plus there are no set rules to GL so some owners call there's a GL when others wouldn't consider them a GL. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense.

lazyted December 25th 2003 14:05

german? cal?

i believe it was keith seume who said that " where as the cal look takes its inspiration from the drag strip the german look takes it from the race track"
after all isnt that why most german look fans prefer the super beatles?
i personaly consider the cal look a more laid back style where the german look is more adrenalin filled.:D
but its good to know that you cant realy generalize on what each look is. after all isnt that what customization is all about, to make your car reflect your individuality.
looks are supose to overlap :silly:

vujade December 25th 2003 17:07

If you go back to the 80s VW mags you will see a lot of so called cal look cars that dont look much different then the gl cars of today.

I have pics of cars with monochromatic paint jobs, dechromed, Porsche Fuch wheels all around. The only thing that sets those Cal Look apart from GL cars today was they had big t1 engines & not having Porsche brakes or trannies.

I really believe that the German Look is the next evolution of the Cal Look. Its where the look was progressing too in the 80s. Then in the 90s the Cal Look took a magor step backwards into the 70's for some reason. Oh well, it was there loss & our gain. :D

zen December 25th 2003 20:22

Axl R,

Supa said it, but it is worth reiterating. especially as new as the look is to the US, most of the cars are under construction still. if you look at most of the european entries, i think you will agree that many to most of those are GL. give it a little time. i am sure there will be quite a few that still don't deserve the badge or just never really get complete, but for now the gap is understandable.

btw, you should have seen mine just last year and had it posted here. that was because it was under construction. i think most would agree that mine is GL now.

COXBOW December 26th 2003 10:20

Hi folks,

For my part as a European and participated in a couple of German – French and of course Belgian meetings those last years I’ve noticed a “tendency” that I believe to be the essence of a German-Look:

- A recent model (doesn’t have to be a 1302/1303) the
most wanted model in Germany and border countries GL
is the 30the anniversary beetle. (’85)

- ’17 and more alloys doesn’t have to be Porsche’s I
would even say that it’s becoming more and more
tuning alloys these last years.

- A classic monochrome paint most of the time a grey
one, but always a metallic.

- No chrome or the original one’s painted black.

- Sport front seats, a couple of years ago it was indeed
911-924-944 one’s but that’s the past, now to be “in”
you ‘v got to have “EKU” “Koening” or “Remmele”
one’s (well known German air-cooled tuners) most of
the time in black leather, and no back seats.

- Porsche or Remmele brakes on the 4 wheels.

- And of course a big and powerful engine, most of the
time a T4, but at least a 2.000cc anyway…

The new tendency is to have recent rear lights (1303 type) but pre ’65 front fenders whit Porsche 911 headlights, but that’s almost only in Germany.

This is only my opinion and certainly not a “that’s the way you have to do it”

Axl R December 26th 2003 17:01

I can understand the part of being under construction . It seems that if you talk to alot of car builders , they will say there is always something else they want to do to their cars , no matter how complete it is . I can also understand about the cost factor , as you add the name "PORSCHE" on anything and you start talking about big $$$$$ . I didn't set out to say that all the cars on the post were not GL's , or that the cars were ugly . I am fairly new as well to the GL , and agree that they are a progression of the Cal Look , and therefore there will be alot of similarities . I guess I was a little dissappointed at not seeing a whole lot of GL cars on a site dedicated to the GL . Axl:disappoin

justdubbin January 1st 2004 18:41

This is probable going to get me called all the names under the sun......but please, only some of what I'm saying is what I believe........ EHHHH I heard you say.

I have been surfing a lot over Christmas & the New year & come across some good sites, one UK Hot Rod/Custom site in particular had some great cars and great views about modified cars.
They were on about Rat Rods in the US and in particular their owners, how they would only entertain Rods which were built to specific guidelines, i.e. no chrome, had to have the correct pedal box, the correct gauges and even to the point where the would only wear clothes that were in period with the cars they drive :silly:

Now I know the German Look is not like that, at least it's not the impression I get from these boards..... but there are some people that see it.... ONLY using Porsche wheels, brakes, seats etc as opposed to an aftermarket set of wheels, Brembo or Willwood brakes.

Not ever one can source or afford Porsche parts, there seem to be hundreds of Porsche breakers/specialists in the US but here in the UK there are just a handful, the same in Europe I would imagine.
With availability comes cost.......

In the US there are a lot more older Fords etc to build Rat Rods, the same as there are a lot more second hand Porsche spares and all this brings the cost down.

Basically what I think I'm trying to say is lets hope we don't gone down the same route as those Rat Rod guys & girls.

I think GL is trying to make your Bug or Bus as modern as possible (all the creature comforts) and to drive and handle as best as possible while still retaining the individuality that only a Bug/Bus can give you today whilst sharing the roads with all the ****ty boring mundane computer designed things all around us.

P.S. if they do have some Porsche influence then all the better http://www.lo-rdz.co.uk/iB_html/non-...s/buttrock.gif

Sorry for the long rant ;)

Rob.

RLW6000 January 1st 2004 22:32

I dont know if any of you would consider what I want my car to be GL or what. Right now its basicaly stock. What I want is probably a cross between a few styles including GL. I have a 1302. I want a Type IV motor and a tranny built to handle it. I want 15 inch 8 spoke empi's with a little wider than stock and a little lower profile also. I want type 1 ghia dics on the front and probably just leave the drums on the back. I want to drop it all around, but more in the front than the back (using ajust-a-struts). Also, the chrome is mostly gone already. The stock front turn signals are gone. Currently it has mexican bumper with signals in them, but will get "T" bars with old ghia "bullet" type signals mounted below the headlights on the fenders. In the rear, it has replica 39' ford teardrop tail lights. As for the interior, It will sport some kind of buckets (probably Honda) and Dolphin guages in a custom made fiberglass dash. Backseat as well as headliner and door panels will probably stay stock. The changes that have already been made, were done to the car when I got it. All this is what I hope to do if I ever get the $ to finish it and also if I dont get to pissed and sell it. I hope you all will still talk to me here after knowing what I want ot do to my car. Happy New Year, Randy

Axl R January 1st 2004 23:04

justdubbin , I like the way you think . I had worked for a body shop for a short period of time ( a mistake I don't plan to make again!) and we were restoring a 1965 Ford Mustang . This car was about the 1003 or 4 Mustang ever built! The owner of the car started to go to a club dedicated to mustangs , and found out that to be a member , your mustang must have all matching numbers , all original paint color and options , etc . They would not even look at you if you were slightly off on any of these things . I don't know about you , but I just would not want to be a part of something that doesn't allow for some creative differences from what someone else has . I hope , just like you , that the VW groups don't do that . Axl . :takethat:

COXBOW January 2nd 2004 04:42

I agree with you, that’s why I’m now more on the GL/Custom side of the tuning, ‘cause u they can say what u want, Old-Speed Cal-Look etc.. it’s still tuning your Bug !
The problem with those Old-Speed and Resto-Cal guy is that they have indeed rules, and I hate rules !

If you put this or that accessory you’re more of this or that tendency and so you’re not “allowed “ to put this or that other accessory you like ‘cause you would mangle the styles ! Who cares !! That’s why I’m more on the German-Look side, but without the rule which are less strict but still…

What a also like in “my” mangled style is that I don’t have to do anything in particular just what crosses my mind, and certainly not buy this or that brand or supermarket same-as-the-neighbour stuff to “personalise” my car, how can you personalise something with the same stuff as everybody and by following rules ??!!

So put the liberating Custom label on my car even if it has indeed a GL tendency…

Who agrees or disagree ?

RLW6000 January 4th 2004 01:01

I like the mangled idea. I forgot to mention before that I also want to figure out some way to use some 62' or there about interior window cranks and door handle as well as the door handles for the outside from the same year bug. I like the way they look and besides, who has seen a Super with that style door handles? I like my style to be very individual but also functional. I also like a lot of power. Thats why I am going with the Raby type IV and tranny to go with it.
Randy

njv January 10th 2004 18:59

hi
first post to this but i thought id leave it a while before i did!!!

moderninity in summery and a lot to do with tuv germans have the autobahn and you can drive as fast as you like on the ever decreasing unlimited streaches of it .

so they want to fit big engines to do this there must be improvements by law elsewhere ie your brakes. everything done to a german car must have paperwork cerifiing its safty and up to which level ie these brakes allow you to run upto 150bhp and so on.

money! germans are odd things in how they like to look affluant to the rest of society and when do other people see you most when your out and about in your motor so spending absolutely rediculous amounts of money on it makes you apear to the outside that you are well off and beleive me this is important for some ! bragging rights if it cost more it must be better!!! doh.

i will take pictures at this years mai kaefer treffen in hannover it is a good meeting last year there was a lot of gl cars there allready and i saw the trend within germany moveing away from porsche wheels to more modern alloys and less porsche seats and a move towards light racing buckets and so on.

i myself very nearly got a set of 5x100 wheels instead of the c2,s ive got for the spring i may still run a set of pedrinis anyway as im concerned about the wheels weight even though ive got 4x 6 by 16 c2,s the smallest width there is i think there still 11/2kg heavier than the pedrinis i will probably end up running both sets throughout the summer changing when i feel like it.

the essence of it is a moveable feast modern performance parts put to use for saftys sake another is the clear lamps modern and as far as safty is concerend one of the best things you can do for driving at night is fit brighter clearer lights same go,s for the rear of the vehical as if you have to stop fast you want to let them behind you know you are.

gl unlike the cal look will continue to evolve and will not sit static and stagnate due to the germans impulse to do something creatively original with a new part.

i had some young lads ask me the other day why they hadnt seen this new model vw at the local dealership :( i had to explain that there dads probably did and they where a little surprised

dont let yourselves down guys by ever saying it cannot be a gl car as it doesnt have such and such dont bag and tag yourselves or be hard on others if they dont have what you consider to be the look its a damn none stagnating proliferating moveable feast of modern part application s.

yea baby.

justdubbin January 10th 2004 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by njv
hi
first post to this but i thought id leave it a while before i did!!!

moderninity in summery and a lot to do with tuv germans have the autobahn and you can drive as fast as you like on the ever decreasing unlimited streaches of it .

so they want to fit big engines to do this there must be improvements by law elsewhere ie your brakes. everything done to a german car must have paperwork cerifiing its safty and up to which level ie these brakes allow you to run upto 150bhp and so on.

money! germans are odd things in how they like to look affluant to the rest of society and when do other people see you most when your out and about in your motor so spending absolutely rediculous amounts of money on it makes you apear to the outside that you are well off and beleive me this is important for some ! bragging rights if it cost more it must be better!!! doh.

i will take pictures at this years mai kaefer treffen in hannover it is a good meeting last year there was a lot of gl cars there allready and i saw the trend within germany moveing away from porsche wheels to more modern alloys and less porsche seats and a move towards light racing buckets and so on.

i myself very nearly got a set of 5x100 wheels instead of the c2,s ive got for the spring i may still run a set of pedrinis anyway as im concerned about the wheels weight even though ive got 4x 6 by 16 c2,s the smallest width there is i think there still 11/2kg heavier than the pedrinis i will probably end up running both sets throughout the summer changing when i feel like it.

the essence of it is a moveable feast modern performance parts put to use for saftys sake another is the clear lamps modern and as far as safty is concerend one of the best things you can do for driving at night is fit brighter clearer lights same go,s for the rear of the vehical as if you have to stop fast you want to let them behind you know you are.

gl unlike the cal look will continue to evolve and will not sit static and stagnate due to the germans impulse to do something creatively original with a new part.

i had some young lads ask me the other day why they hadnt seen this new model vw at the local dealership :( i had to explain that there dads probably did and they where a little surprised

dont let yourselves down guys by ever saying it cannot be a gl car as it doesnt have such and such dont bag and tag yourselves or be hard on others if they dont have what you consider to be the look its a damn none stagnating proliferating moveable feast of modern part application s.

yea baby.

I think this sums up EVERYTHING there is to say..................http://www.lo-rdz.co.uk/iB_html/non-...ns/bowdown.gif

Rob.

Eurolook71 January 12th 2004 00:19

TRULY!!!

Thanks njv, that was simply beautiful.

jps January 13th 2004 22:09

two more cents on " German Look"

to me, all the different "looks" are based on some type of racing. the Cal-look is based on drag racing, hence the narrow tires up front, big engine, not much for handling and brakes. the Baja look is based on desert racing. To me the German look is based on road racing. good handling, big brakes, high tech thru out.

63Rag January 21st 2004 02:20

performance performance perfomrance

GL ers,
Very simply put a performance. One thing that places GLrs apart is the ability to accelarate decelarate and handle at a higher performanc envelope.
Light weight rims and performance tires. A more muscular motor, high performing disc brakes. Our European counterparts place a strong emphises on the whole car being "designed" for the purpose of pushing what VW engineers thought the VW was capable of.
Cal lookers are going to go by the wayside (220 hp, no disks factory bench seats? have you ever slid off your seats on a sharp turn?) I feel we should have water cooled performance GLrs (VW, Audi, Porsche) vehcles recognized.
I wouldnt be surprised if someone place a supercharged h2o motor in a performance 1302 or 1303 and races SCAA.
I feel that as enthusiests we all should take the next step in the design of our
Beetles / VWs.
Mine will be a beast.
the Wolf

COXBOW February 26th 2004 12:52

In Europe we have a “Fun Cup” it’s based on a beetle chassis, it looks like a beetle but it’s all fibreglass, steering wheel in the middle of the car !!
And a Golf engine, a water-cooled engine that is, and I really don’t like it at al, what does it have of a bug ? The look ! That’s not enough for me
So a water-cooled engine in a bug just to have what? Easy cheap modern hp and performance?
No f… way !

MattKab April 30th 2004 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
We have a similar series (if not the very same) in the uk, Uniroyal or something. Droids, Clones or Frankensteins... Totaly lifeless no?

Racelook yes, performance T1 no. In my opinion of course.

A thoroughbred Volkswagen needs 'some' history.

But, an ex-Uniroyal type car with an SVA for road use, using stock lights, trim. etc. would impress me for sure.

Matt

Axl R April 30th 2004 21:37

Hey , All!!

First things first - njv (I hope I got it right) - I think you nailed it with your post . I especially agree with the safety aspect that you mentioned . I have recently just purchased a very good Dodge Grand Caravan ( :eek: yeah , I know its not a Dub , but I got a family to haul around, plus I got a smoki' deal on it!) and one the first changes I made was to remove the wimpy stock 55/80 watt headlamps and replace them with some off-road 80/100 watt ones . Next job is to redo the brakes as this van has sat for 6 months . The brakes work ok , but I will make sure they are in top notch condition . As a licensed GM Goodwrench mechanic , I am able to safely accomplish any of the work that needs to be done . Some of our Provinces here in Canada do not allow you to work on any safety-related items , such as brakes , unless you are qualified to do so (another very good idea - not only does it discourage total amateurs from messing up while working on their vehicle , but it makes them bring it to me , giving me more work :D ) . And I figure that there is enough to worry about with the way people drive without having to worry about if they are going to be able to stop in time!

Second - I am very intrigued and interested in seeing what new developments in the areas of the T1 are coming along , as when I eventually do get to build another Bug (time , money and my wife are preventing me from doing so presently :bawling: ) , I will have already seen what is out there and maybe will incorporate some of the ideas into my own car . Of course , most people want to have that car that is totally unlike anything else out there , but that doesn't mean that you can't use something that has already been used on some of it .

Anyways , I guess through all of my rambling on , what I am trying to say is have fun with you Dub , but just be safe about it . I just may be the person that your unsafe vehicle hits!!! :mad: Axl .

vwpride73 June 12th 2004 12:07

I'm relitively new hereand thougtht I would give you my insight. I have read this post and agree that all modifications should be ones that modernize the car and improve performance. I dont think that people should have to run only porsche wheels, big Type-4, or full on racing suspension. Anything that improves the overall driving characteriscs should be welcome. I myself am very far away from being a true german-look car. Engine, suspension, interior, wheels, etc. should be an improvement over stock regardless of the modification. I know most of this babling has already been stated before, but I just needed to get what it means to me out there.

jonnyspatter January 28th 2005 13:24

My interpretation of the german look

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k.bmp~original
Flat grey 1303 Bug, dechromed with body coloured euro bumpers.
17" Porsche Cups.
Porsche 5 spd 'box.
Porsche 944 suspension and brakes.
2ltr type 4 motor with Porsche fan.
Stripped out interior with ally or carbon fibre panelling.
2 ally bucket seats (no rears)
roll cage.

This was my firm opinion until yesterday, when I discovered germanlook.com!
Its exactly how I was planning to do my '03, but I've discovered there is so much more to 'the look' than I first thought, and I'll gladly admit that my opinion was very narrow minded. Having seen some of the cars on here, I think the only definition of 'german look' is the one thing that all these cars have in common: A theme of technical advancement of the bug from its original form, adapted primarily for all round high performance (as opposed to the cal look, where their only goal is straight line acceleration).

As this is my first post (I just put 'german look' into google, to research into the look I was going for), you'll have to forgive my blinkered views on the subject. But I think from now I'm going to find this website a real education! :)

super vw January 28th 2005 16:32

Quote:

A theme of technical advancement of the bug from its original form, adapted primarily for all round high performance (as opposed to the cal look, where their only goal is straight line acceleration).
This IS what the "germanlook" is all about, you hit the nail dead center!
That is a good way of puting it to.

BTW, Welcome to the club!

Jonathan

BWE January 28th 2005 18:12

Quote: "A theme of technical advancement of the bug from its original form, adapted primarily for all round high performance"

For your first post I think you've hit the nail on the head. ;) I don't have a personal definition of what 'Germanlook' is but I'll tell you what I enjoy about the 'scene' the most: customization, the challenge to 'make better' the cars (and buses!) that we have, the open minded sharing of ideas and possibilities. On this board, at club get togethers, at shows, etc. there is an exceptance of, and appreciation for, different "paths to perfection". So I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for listening to my (sometimes) bizarre questions/ideas and posting their own. :agree:
I hope that everyone has a good, and safe year, in 2005 and we continue to be an inclusive scene!
Cheers,
Dave