GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your definition of the Germanlook style? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

NO_H2O February 10th 2010 01:20

I will bust your chops and expect that you will bust mine. Its all in good fun. My skin is thick. It has been thru some very hard sandboxes with hard core friends. GL for life.

Axl February 10th 2010 02:59

I can live with that!

evilC February 10th 2010 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vujade (Post 104)
Ive enjoyed everyones comments so far. It looks to me like everyone has similar views with there own personal twist. This is great! It should keep things progressing. .................
just my 2 cents

I wholeheartedly agree and the variety that this spawns in practice is what continues to spark my interest. I hate the concept of going to a one stop shop and walking out with a box of bits to produce the definitive article (each time, every time - how boring). All the contributors to this forum all have their own views that should be welcomed but we all have one purpose - to make the best we can. Keep it up lads and lasses.

Clive

oasis February 10th 2010 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axl (Post 74117)
I would love to find a 75-77 super

While German Beetles were imported to North America through the 1977 model year, Super Beetles ended in 1975 ... unless you are talking about convertibles which went through 1979.

I'm assuming you mentioned 1975 as the jumping off point because of the rack and pinion steering which started that year in Supers. (My assumptions aren't always on target, though.)

Axl February 11th 2010 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasis (Post 74148)
While German Beetles were imported to North America through the 1977 model year, Super Beetles ended in 1975 ... unless you are talking about convertibles which went through 1979.

I'm assuming you mentioned 1975 as the jumping off point because of the rack and pinion steering which started that year in Supers. (My assumptions aren't always on target, though.)

You are right about the rack and pinion steering . I knew beetles went to 77 , and verts to 79 , but I didn't know supers only went to 75 . Wouldn't mind doing a vert - we will have to see what I can find .

oasis February 12th 2010 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axl (Post 74192)
You are right about the rack and pinion steering ... Wouldn't mind doing a vert - we will have to see what I can find .

Depending on your price range, there some nice 'verts on theSamba right now -- two are trying very, very hard to tempt me.

'75 Supers (sedans) are more difficult to find in North America. They were made in fewer numbers and they seem to be more vulnerable to rust.

Good luck.

MX67 February 12th 2010 13:56

Now, stupid question:

Can 1973' be converted to rack and pinion to be like 75'?

:)

Xellex February 12th 2010 13:59

yes, it can :)

Axl February 20th 2010 20:00

There is a '65 I am actually eyeing right now . If I buy this car I would most likely look at an IRS pan swap , or at the least an IRS conversion . Now , for the air-cooled engine supporters , I think I would be going the type IV route on this one . So what do you think would be better - a larger displacement (something well over 2.0L) or a reletively stock size engine (1.7 or 1.8L) with a turbo?

NO_H2O February 20th 2010 20:25

Depends on what you want to do with the car.

Wally February 21st 2010 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O (Post 74382)
Depends on what you want to do with the car.

and not really a post that 'belongs' in this particular thread ;)

Axl February 21st 2010 14:44

I realize that this maybe highjacking the thread a bit , but sinced the engine question had been an issue , it just seemed to me to be a natural tie-in . I hope I didn't upset everyone too much .

That being said , the car's main purpose will be a street car with the occaisional rip down the strip .

ragtop81 March 30th 2010 17:07

That type of exhaust uses? Which is the best option in GL?

Wally March 30th 2010 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtop81 (Post 75144)
That type of exhaust uses? Which is the best option in GL?

Sorry, but that q. doesn't belong here either...

To answer in the jist of this thread: the one that performs best on your engine!
Pls open a topic in the engine department ;)

ragtop81 March 30th 2010 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 75146)

To answer in the jist of this thread: the one that performs best on your engine!

ok! thanks.:)

Axl March 31st 2010 01:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 75146)

Wally has become the GL thread police!

gpfan1 June 9th 2010 23:38

The German Look: Any modified bug that can lap the Nordschleife fast enough to embarrass more expensive cars and make the drivers come over to look at your car to find out what you have in it. Has to also have style. Lots of race car tech. The "Green Hell" suffers no fools.

Wally June 10th 2010 03:07

I rather like that definition ;)

TSAF June 10th 2010 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpfan1 (Post 76468)
The German Look: Any modified bug that can lap the Nordschleife fast enough to embarrass more expensive cars and make the drivers come over to look at your car to find out what you have in it. Has to also have style. Lots of race car tech. The "Green Hell" suffers no fools.

I like that definition as well. Well written and exactly to the point, but I still want it to be air cooled.

Wally June 10th 2010 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSAF (Post 76471)
.. but I still want it to be air cooled.

Me too of course, but I also realize/recognize aircooled is not required to be what a GL really defines... imho ;)

Axl June 10th 2010 21:33

Good definition , as it does not get into any specifics . A lot of what the GL is about comes down to our own interpretation of what we think it should be .

ragtop81 July 10th 2010 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSAF (Post 76471)
I like that definition as well. Well written and exactly to the point, but I still want it to be air cooled.

Excellent definition, it complements before already mentioned by many of you...:cool:

jakriz September 7th 2010 01:39

Wow!
I havn't read this post for quite some time, reading through the last couple of pages, I had no idea that there was such a distaste for water cooled. I was born & bred aircooled, mainly because of my father. So my decision to go watercooled was one that I thought about for quite some time. In the end, what ultimatly made my mind up was the fact that I need my car to do absolutely everything. By that I mean, take the kids to school everyday, go to the race track on the weekend, driven , not trailered, then back it up with daily driving again come Monday morning. I can't speak for u guys overseas, but in Australia, there are very very few, if any, hot aircooled vw's that are driven everyday that can drive to the track on the weekend, cop a flogging, then drive home ready to drive to drive to work on Monday morning.

Do I dislike aircooled engines, ? absolutely not! i love them. But, they don't suit my application for what I need my car to do. I get to drive my mates oval with a hot aircooled engine quite regularly, everytime I turn the key I think, "how good does that fan & twin carbs sound"..........but, when I get back in my car, which has a stereo, full interior, soundproofing, carpet etc, I'm like "how good does that sound" LOL
Even viewing one of Wally's videos of some incar footage, I fall in love all over again with the vw engine. but I couldn't go back to one now, I've been terribly spoilt with the turbo Subaru engine. 204hp, 221ft of torque on 8 pounds boost, 39mpg & I've just clocked up 166'000klms (103'000miles) since December 2004.
My car definantly isn't for everyone, but it is for me. I would never try to talk anyone into going Subaru. Next year I will have owned my car for 20 years, this is the best incarnation that it has ever been.

It is also very very rare for me to see a car on this forum & not like it, well they are German Look, whats not to like?

in the end, I don't care what people think of my car, I built it for me. The only opinion I was very concerned about was my fathers. I don't think he took to the idea at all. Now, he brags to all who see it & thinks that if Volkswagen had of continued the development of the wasserboxer engine, it could have ended up like the Subaru engine. Maybe, maybe not.

regardless, the definition of german look, is in the eyes of the owner.
jak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oONJigD_I

Eatoniashoprat September 7th 2010 10:42

Well said

panic February 5th 2013 17:55

How about this; what about other car tuning styles are you into, something you see fitting into the GermanLook style?
I'm currently really digging the Japanese demon camber style!
If you done know what I mean, http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/the-shakotan-510/.

oasis February 6th 2013 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by panic (Post 85494)

Sorry, that seems totally alien to German Look to me. While I have never driven one that has been slammed like those, the ones in which I have ridden seemed like they performed worse than stock -- not improved. And while that style may be in fashion, there is nothing modern about it.

Steve C February 6th 2013 22:33

Hi

I agree that's not German Look, German Look has to be participial as well.

My son is into that sort of thing with his R31 Skyline drift car, but I think 510 looks cool.

Steve

-Alex- May 28th 2013 07:43

in Finland, we get here a lot bragging about how fast are post nineties audis, beemers and benz's, and some other cars too sometimes, most often these are driven by young guys, from 20 to 30.

My goal is to build/engineer germanlook beetle that is fast, has good cornering capabilities and reliable and possible be as fast. Funny that i get laughs when i say it will accelerate 0-100kmh under 5 secs and topspeed over 230km/h. I'll say to them, you are not an engineer so what do you know :D

krukab August 22nd 2013 02:54

Spa 2013,

http://sphotos-b-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...68914852_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...63561449_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...34747969_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...90949510_n.jpg

Wally August 22nd 2013 05:29

Good one Alain! Those about it imo.

graham August 24th 2014 18:48

Ok fellas here is a car I have just stumbled across I thought this would make an interesting addition to this thread.Ok its a bit off topic of what constitutes your traditional German Look Beetle, big engine, air-cooled lump big brakes and so on but is this car German look ??????? However you look at this, or the term German Look in my eyes this fits the bill and is simply stunning :cool::cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3012865895...d=685272012062

German Look Hot Rod ?????

Goliath July 7th 2018 08:24

Check this out
Where did the front bumper on this AWESOME 1303 come from- I love it and it suits the car sooo well!!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fd/5a...c43dbbca0f.jpg

effvee July 7th 2018 12:06

Anymore pictures?

chug_A_bug August 24th 2018 21:32

Looks Custom...