GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine combo... need some advice please (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3746)

super vw January 25th 2004 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast70
I was told that CB Performance was going to offer either a 74mm or 76mm for the cost of the 69mm. I don't know if the website has been updated yet. This is what I was told by someone who has been in contact with them.

CB's cranks are counterweighted. They are really nice. I am using a 82mm super race crank and the 5.5in Super race rods. It looks solid with those H-beams on there.

Super VW, don't forget the old saying, no replacement for displacement. Don't be afraid to get a crank larger than 69mm. Clearancing is not difficult at all, just take your time. For just a little more money your fun can be increased many times over.

Just my 2 cents,
fast70

Yeah, the site has been updated as they have a stroker crank at the same price as the 69mm.

I cant budge my budget (hey it rhymes) for a stroker... When i have the money later i want to build a type-4 or a wicked insane type-1 and that will likely be a stroker. Gotta remember im still in high school (last year... Hell yeah!) so i cant work as much as i want, to get the money i need for this addictnig lifestyle/hobby of Aircooled VW's :D

Eurolook71 January 25th 2004 22:59

Hmmm....you know....I knew a guy that bought a used motor and it lasted 3 years...it was a bone stock 1600, but 3 years is great for a used $300 turn-key!

Maybe this would be an option, while you wait to get what you REALLY want???

I'm only saying this cuz your going to want more power....I promise you will......:)

fast70 January 25th 2004 23:06

I just hope you don't beat yourself up later for not going stroker. Theres nothing like stroker and theres nothing like turbo, so I did both! :D

I origionally had a modest budget like yours, but I went ahead and splurged under the advice of my engine builder and had a complete turbo 2110 for $2000. I have not yet regreted this. It only took me one more paycheck, but it will supply me with much more fun. I was origionally going to go type 4 turbo, but my engine builder convinced me otherwise as just to build a motor of the same displacement cost much more and the horsepower just wouldn't be close to what I wanted (250-300hp). Although this newfound horsepower did force me to buy a new tranny just to be safe so that did tag on extra cost. However, by doing the work yourself of finding someone to help you out, you can build a performance motor for cheap without skimping on the parts.

fast70

super vw January 25th 2004 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurolook71
Hmmm....you know....I knew a guy that bought a used motor and it lasted 3 years...it was a bone stock 1600, but 3 years is great for a used $300 turn-key!

Maybe this would be an option, while you wait to get what you REALLY want???

I'm only saying this cuz your going to want more power....I promise you will......:)

Thats crap advice Eurolook! (im just playin BTW)
I need an engine soon, i want to have over 100hp... and i need it cheap.
AND where else am i going to get hands on experience building if i dont build this now :D?

super vw January 25th 2004 23:18

Quote:

I just hope you don't beat yourself up later for not going stroker. Theres nothing like stroker and theres nothing like turbo, so I did both! :D

I origionally had a modest budget like yours, but I went ahead and splurged under the advice of my engine builder and had a complete turbo 2110 for $2000. I have not yet regreted this. It only took me one more paycheck, but it will supply me with much more fun. I was origionally going to go type 4 turbo, but my engine builder convinced me otherwise as just to build a motor of the same displacement cost much more and the horsepower just wouldn't be close to what I wanted (250-300hp). Although this newfound horsepower did force me to buy a new tranny just to be safe so that did tag on extra cost. However, by doing the work yourself of finding someone to help you out, you can build a performance motor for cheap without skimping on the parts.

fast70

Yeah i know i WILL want more power... but there is always other times to build biger and better things. for now a 1915 is good. i do have the rest of the car to restore to ya know :P.

My father works at the Porsche, VW, Audi and BMW dealership here in Bend, Oregon and there are a few VW geeks there (Aircooled yes) so i can get help from them... one of the guys was in Hot VW's for his drag car. and an other is building a 2000+cc stroker as we speak. he also built a 1776 that i got to ride in with... he builds nice motors, it had plenty of power for me. so a 1915 will be nice :P

Eurolook71 January 25th 2004 23:19

I know, I'm in the same spot as you.....I've got a used case, but havent got it align-bored or tapped for F/F yet. I plan to build a 85.5X76. I bought OEM german 85.5s, and well, It seems as though CBP is making torque a little cheaper,(a welded 69 cost $150 on their site, so if a 76 is the same then thats where its at!!)....It just has to be done in the next few weeks, or I'll be riding my bike to school!

fast70 January 25th 2004 23:20

Build it now why you are in high school and still have the time and resources to do it. Without going with some form of stroker, which I think that 76mm is a good bet for you, you will be pushing it to break 100hp with a 69mm crank. Most HP figures you see for motors are flywheel horspower not wheel horsepower because wheel horsepower takes into account a 15% drivetrain loss. There are many strokers that are just getting to 130 HP.

Check out http://www.cal-look.com/tech/2007_vs_2165.shtml that should help you decide. And even he wasn't quite satisfied with the power so imagine how you will feel. Personally, the only way I would go under 2 liters is if it were turboed.

fast70

Eurolook71 January 25th 2004 23:26

The CBPerfromance site has the 76 crank for $350....and the 69 c/w is $150....am I missing something??

super vw January 25th 2004 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurolook71
The CBPerfromance site has the 76 crank for $350....and the 69 c/w is $150....am I missing something??

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1185

Where is there $150 69mm crank?

Eurolook71 January 25th 2004 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by super vw

69 crank
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=148

76 crank
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=153

Weird, i couldnt find the link you sent while surfing their site???

fast70 January 25th 2004 23:54

I couldn't find that link either, I'm glad you did SuperVW.

fast70

super vw January 26th 2004 00:03

Quote:

I couldn't find that link either, I'm glad you did SuperVW.

fast70

Weird, i just searched "crank" and it was in one of the lists :)
I guess i did see the $150 one, but wasent to sure on it as its not stated as a cast or forged, and its welded.

super vw January 26th 2004 00:09

Oh, btw i was looking on CB's site and they do in house machineing, and they are a little cheaper (15 bucks cheaper) on case boring compaired to Rimco.
Any one have a say on there work? and turn around time?

I think i will send my case to them as i should be buying other stuf from them any how, maybe i can save on shipping if they can ship more at once?

Also, would it be best to pick up a set of there Uni-Tech Con/rods or have my stock rods reworked? If i could save money here, that would help a bit.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1179

fast70 January 26th 2004 00:15

From what I hear they are good rods.

fast70

super vw January 26th 2004 00:31

Worth it over stock rebuilt rods ya think?