GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Subaru Transmission instead of porsche (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11338)

Bruce. September 14th 2011 05:47

Subaru Transmission instead of porsche

I found a website yesterday for a group in Aus who are doing interesting work with 5 speed Suby gearboxes.

The sell a replacement crown & pinion set that reverses the gearbox and allows it to be used backwards in a bug.

Also, once the rear nose cone is removed (with the 4wd parts), the case can be shortened quite agressively getting the box down to about 55cm long.

They also sell output flanges that work with 930/944/type2 CV joints.

Getting it to work with a type 4 might be difficult (flywheel/clutch/starter/ etc issues) but if you are planning a suby swap it could save a lot of hassle & money.

The new crown/pinion is about Aus$1500, The output flanges are aus$500 and the part to lock out the 4wd mech is aus$300.

www.subarugears.com

evilC September 14th 2011 11:27

There has been lots of discussion with the main man at Subaru Gears on vzi about the conversion since as you say it is appropriate to the scooby conversion. For the money, including shipping and import duty the Porsche G50 alternative is a viable consideration. I considered it for a 4wd rear engined sports car based on scooby power but I am tending towards the Porker 4wd unit.
I'm not that keen on stripping gearboxes and this alteration needs that but what you haven't factored in is the rebuild kit, gaskets, bearings etc that you couldn't not install at the same time, whereas it would be viable to take a Porker box and just use it with just maybe an oil change?

Clive

Panelfantastic September 14th 2011 11:49

So roughly $2300 in parts plus the cost to assemble added to the $2-3k for the core trans... I've got to go with Clive on this one, definatly isn't a bargain even if you already have the Suby box.

BUT, that AWD Pork box is a real monster Clive. What are they, two meters long?:lmao:

Jeff-

Steve C September 14th 2011 18:59

Hi

My local Subaru guy http://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/index.html does the rebuilding for this company.

They look like a solid unit, but there is not a lot of difference in size compared to a G50, the Subaru box may weigh a bit less than a G50 though.

Will they be as strong as a G50? Not sure.

Steve

56SemaRag September 15th 2011 00:19

I am going to go with the Suby JE257 short block with JE22T heads so the Suby trans is an easy choice for me. Going to be weird having 5 speed, A/C and a heater core to boot.

onixbonilla September 17th 2011 19:14

I am not expert on transmisions but I find interesing to have another option. Especially for the complete Subaru conversions. I know some of these transmision had its problems but seems to be specific years. Also the use of these on a 1,000lbs lighter car with 2wd configurations makes me think less stress on them. Obviuosly it makes the 4wd Bug an easier propositon to the ones who are in to that!:)

Joel September 19th 2011 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panelfantastic (Post 81727)
added to the $2-3k for the core trans...

Are they really that much over there?
that does make it an exy option.
They are less than half that here, I'll be going this way when mine dies, but I waiting to see a few more on the road first so i can see proof of things like gear shift linkage holding together long term etc.

evilC September 20th 2011 12:41

Quote:

............BUT, that AWD Pork box is a real monster Clive. What are they, two meters long?:lmao:

Jeff-

Oh good! I need to shift the weight forward:lmao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel (Post 81796)
Are they really that much over there?
that does make it an exy option.
They are less than half that here, I'll be going this way when mine dies, but I waiting to see a few more on the road first so i can see proof of things like gear shift linkage holding together long term etc.

Given the price of individual components it makes much more sense to buy a complete car, strip it for the bits required and then sell the remainder on. Even if you strip out what you want and scrap the rest it still makes financial sense. A complete twin turbo Legacy can be bought in roadworthy condition for around £1500

Clive

vdubzack October 2nd 2011 20:31

For that price you could get a built Gene berg 5 speed Shipped with change to spare for some cold ones.

onixbonilla January 5th 2012 23:09

From what I read Jake Raby is it now the official North America distributor of these conversions. Seems he is very deep on the Subaru conversions!:D

56SemaRag January 6th 2012 00:46

Quote:

$2-3k for the core trans... I've got to go with Clive on this one, definatly isn't a bargain even if you already have the Suby box.

Jeff-

Stateside you shouldn't be paying more than a few hundred for a pre '03 TY75* gearbox. The later model TY754 5speeds with wider (Sti / RA) gears are still under 1K

Those prices are common for the 6 speed with isn't even compatible with the conversion.