GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   VDO Guage Help (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4555)

beesquad711 July 5th 2004 22:44

VDO Guage Help

I'm wiring up my Oil temp and pressure guages and I seem to have something not quite right with the wiring. I have a wire coming from a sensor into the back of the guage (the slot labeled "S"....I'm assuming for signal), a wire from the fuse block (into the "+" terminal), and a ground wire. On both guages (as well as my fuel guage) I am getting enough electricity to move the needle but all 3 guages read zero. This obviously isn't right because the car starts (I have gas), the bottom of the case is hot (the oil has temperature), and with no oil pressure the car wouldn't run very long. What am I doing wrong? Where should the wires be? Thanks for the help guys!!

beesquad711 July 5th 2004 23:50

oil temp works....I think

I ran around town for 15 or 20 minutes and managed to get a reading of 150 on the temp guage. From what I have read 180 is the normal operating temp so I am a little worried about it being a bit low. Is this because I didn't get it warm enough or is it a bad reading by the guage. It seems 20 minutes of fairly aggresive driving should be more than enough to get everything up to temp right? Still nothing on pressure or temp :confused:

zen July 6th 2004 07:04

most likely your gauge is wrong. you should have been at 180 or more. what gauge are you using? separate 2" VDO's, Porsche??? also, what temp sender are you using.

i am running a 911 temp/pressure combo gauge and have a similar issue. i am running a T1 300 degree sender and the oil reads at an acceptable temp (no numbers just range) when the oil was way too hot. not sure how to fix it yet though.

beesquad711 July 6th 2004 13:11

I am using 6 separate VW guages. I bought the sender about a year after I bought the guages. I told the guy I bought the sender from which guages I have and I trust he gave me the right one...this guy knows his VW's. The onle thing I can think of would be that it was a fairly cool night - low 60's I would guess when I was out and about. The drive to work is about 8 minutes, the temp outside was a little cooler (high 50's maybe), and the needle didn't budge off of 120. I am still not getting any reading for pressure which worries me since that is probably the more urgent of the 2.

NO_H2O July 6th 2004 13:26

Did you buy the single or dual post sening unit for oil press?
What guage wire did you use?
Did you test continuity/resistance of the wires?
Do you have a full 12vdc at the guages?
Do you have a good ground?

beesquad711 July 6th 2004 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Did you buy the single or dual post sening unit for oil press?
What guage wire did you use?
Did you test continuity/resistance of the wires?
Do you have a full 12vdc at the guages?
Do you have a good ground?

Dual
18 or 22 I think
yes and no
I'm not sure so that might be a good place to start when I get off work
yes

Progress report:
I managed to get the temp to read closer to 170 during lunch. I wasn't driving it hard but it was warmer outside, in the 80's. I'm gonna take it out for an extended drive on the freeway after work. Maybe 20 minutes out and back. If it doesn't get up to 180 after that then I'll know I have a problem for sure with the temp guage. For the pressure guage I know there is continuity from the sender to the guage. I also know I am on the right post at the sender b/c one of the posts doesn't create any current until the stock idiot light is supposed to come on and there is a small amount of current...just not enough to get it above 0. The first thing I'll check tonight is to make sure there is 12v coming into the guages. That could certainly be a problem. After that I'm out of ideas. I'll double check the grounds and the resistance of the wires to make sure everything is good there. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help

NO_H2O July 6th 2004 16:23

On my dual post sender,,,,"WK" goes to the guage and "G" goes to the warning light.