GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How deep $$$ into your car are you? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11111)

DORIGTT December 30th 2010 00:22

How deep $$$ into your car are you?

I was checking out the MBT site and it makes me wonder how much we've hemorraged into our passion with the old ACVWs?

petevw December 30th 2010 01:27

WAY, WAY, TOO MUCH!
3 modded aircooler's = facepalm.

DORIGTT December 30th 2010 01:43

Seriously.

What's a round figure?

Lazarus December 30th 2010 16:26

not bragging but i'd say im at least 20 large into my one project. with a 62 rag that just came through the door for my 7 yr old to be finished in the next 10 yrs. that being said the investment can always be insured to get the $$$ out of it in the event something were to happen. the thing you cant get back is the countless late night thrash sessions that have went on til about 4am so i could clean up and be to work by 8am. those are the things you cant put a price on, and insurance doesnt pay for those even if you could.

petevw December 30th 2010 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by DORIGTT (Post 78992)
Seriously.

What's a round figure?

approx 100K:

'72super - had 25K into it (avatar pic - 2332 EFI drysumped street car over 10yrs ago), could build that drivetrain for much less these days.
'65bus - at least 30K when done
'52split - 50K? when done

+ my daily TDI which is modded too.

A few grand here and there every year, for the last 14 yrs, really adds up.

For those that know me, It's a constant battle. Stay in this hobby? or liquidate an buy a 911/R8/360?

It's the PEOPLE in this hobby, from the local crew, to those that i've met from coast to coast, that keep me going.

Pete

volkdent December 30th 2010 21:20

Over the years I've spent plenty, north of $50k I'm sure. My ex wife once tallied up the amount I'd spent just while we were married(2 years) and she came up with $16k, and that was while the car was still in stock Type I form! After the front end conversion, 1.8t, trannies, ECU, fabbing, wheels tires, sound system, roll cage, paint ($10k just there!) and that still has to be redone!

Jason

speedy January 1st 2011 12:41

I try not to think about it LOL,
Probably $3000-4000 per year for the last 5 years plus the cost of the car and probably another 5 years to finish (drysump and charge cooler will probably eat most of the cash this year ),I just hope my wife never reads this post :lmao:

Jonathan

onixbonilla January 2nd 2011 21:34

First of all. If you were looking at MTB site I assume that you are on those.
What type of riding you do? What bike? I am on those too!
I had spend over $50k and still not able to run it as I like it. Anyway I got another project car on my garage.:confused:

chug_A_bug January 6th 2011 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by onixbonilla (Post 79033)
First of all. If you were looking at MTB site I assume that you are on those.
What type of riding you do? What bike? I am on those too!

Sweet thought I was one of the only riders....
I'm a DJ and Downhill kinda guy but will do some XC the sad part is all of my 4 different bikes are worth abuot the same as the bug lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevw (Post 79005)
It's the PEOPLE in this hobby, from the local crew, to those that i've met from coast to coast, that keep me going.

Pete

:cheers:

Chris.

Steve C January 7th 2011 07:10

Hi

I was in a car shop the other day and a guy I hadn't seen for many years came in after seeing my sons 1303 GL parked out the front, he said "are you still into those old things" I replied "I prefer my cars handmade, anybody can drop bundle on new car, I cant see the point in driving a clone like everybody else does?"

Steve

KAFUR1 January 16th 2011 14:53

To Danm much! I honestly dont know ! And I dont want know! hahaha But its worth it.

STIDUB January 19th 2011 08:33

average of about $10K AUD for the last 5 yrs, and still counting... its a hobby though, add up golf clubs, clothes, membership fees, game fees, etc etc etc, i think if you TRUELY add up the costs of a hobby that your dead keen on most would work out to be something like that, besides better than drinking it... usually :)

hotsauce January 23rd 2011 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 79026)
I try not to think about it LOL,
Probably $3000-4000 per year for the last 5 years plus the cost of the car and probably another 5 years to finish (drysump and charge cooler will probably eat most of the cash this year ),I just hope my wife never reads this post :lmao:

Jonathan

Ok, my question for you is, how do you hide the spending from the wife in the first place?

Humble January 26th 2011 01:25

I have receipts for 2008, IIRC, that show over 30K in one year thrown at the race bug and it was really finished until 2010. Yearly expenses will keep climbing since none of the expendable items are cheap.

Bugscandrift February 4th 2011 22:44

Well, I thought I was in it bad, but after reading some of these, I feel pretty alright.. Im probably about 15K into it as it sits..