GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   which way to go... (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7183)

krems February 27th 2006 14:20

which way to go...

ok....so soon i'll be at that point in my life where i'll want to move my 1302 faster.

but, the thing is...i have enough money for a stock 2.0 Type 4 conversion....or to turbo the 1600/1641 (draw through) i have now.

in terms of budget and so forth..... which one?

samcat February 27th 2006 15:24

It all depends on what you will be doing with the car, and what you want from the engine...

Tell us about how you use or plan to use the car (daily driver, weekend warrior, strip toy etc), how many miles you want from the engine before having to give it some attention and a vague idea of your budget.

A properly built 2L T4 costs about the same as a properly built 1776 T1, but the type of power/longevity is quite different...

Cya,
Sam C

krems February 27th 2006 18:29

daily driver

budget....i have between $500 to $800 to put towards such a venture...

thing is....with the T4...if anything, i can always turbo that later....i hear they can take boost well

samcat February 27th 2006 19:14

Getting the heads to seal well is a bit of an issue when turboing a T4.

What do you already have engine/bits wise? Quite a tight budget...

Sam C

krems February 27th 2006 19:55

i know...thing is i can get the turbo for free. and a set of good dual carbs for less than 100.

thats just about 1/3 of it.

krems March 1st 2006 17:15

i see a blow-through setup for a 1600 going for $500 on thesamba

i am now excited :D

krems March 1st 2006 17:19

on the other hand...im in Jamaica, which basically crawling with healthy Type 4's...im very sure there are nearly equal numbers of late buses and bugs here.

but then if i go turbo, when im ready, i can modify the 1600 turbo setup to bolt on to the 2L type 4 when i eventually get it, plus i'll still have the 1600 as backup...
decisions decisions...

samcat March 2nd 2006 05:14

Tough call indeed.

Personally I would go T4, especially if theres plenty of gooduns around.
Stick a DTM on it, and one of Jakes econo exhausts and use and abuse it... Then if you want more power you can do the proper strip/rebuild with new cam/rebuild the heads etc to get a good lump of extra power.
As a backup keep your current engine (if funds allow), then if all else fails you can throw that back in.

The T4 is very different power to a turbo T1, tons of torque which make it VERY driveable, great for a daily driver!

Hope that helps,
Sam C

krems August 18th 2006 15:21

months down the line, im in the process of going the T4 route :D :agree:

sheller August 18th 2006 18:23

Ok, I guess I'm a little confused then...
I spoke with Raby a couple of months ago about one of this turnkey t4's and the price was over $12k (with transaxle). The t1 1914 turnkey I spoke to someone closer to home about was going to run around $5k (also with transaxle). I know Raby might not be the cheapest builder out there nor was the one he and I talked with bottom of the line but where would you be getting a properly built t4 that is the same price as a 1776 t1?
Steve

krems August 19th 2006 05:43

maybe he meant a stock rebuild