GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   getting there... (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2735)

zen August 8th 2003 18:41

getting there...

charles says he is about ready to spray. it is all grey primer, side markers are cut, roof is cut and finished. i am going out one night next week to look at it and snap some pics. now if i can get everything else to work timin-wise. it has steadily all been falling apart on me.

decklid will hopefully be done before the car is sprayed so i can get it done all at once. i would hate to think about having to go back and have it sprayed separately. i would probably run the risk of going with the ricer look of unpainted c/f instead.

just heard that ac.net is on at least 3-4 week backorder on the CSP brace i ordered 3 weeks ago. need that in time for the BlitzCraft suspension and brake install. the rest of their stuff (carpet and trans mounts were very timely).

just bought some 951 calipers. hopefully they get to BlitzCraft in time to not slow him down on his work.

cross your fingers for me to make BugJam.

vujade August 8th 2003 22:59

glad to hear about your car, that is good news!

now if everything else falls into place, we will both be ready for Bug Jam :D

zen August 9th 2003 09:31

just confirmed i am going out to charles' tuesday. will take lots of pics.

southeastvw August 11th 2003 14:20

Excellent Zen! Glad to see that the GL is almost finshed! I know still plenty of more work to do, but you got time before the Jam!
I doubt I can have mine ready for the Jam, and If I do it will not actually be complete.

zen August 11th 2003 22:25

i hope i will. it has been a long wait. been itching bad to get it back and be driving it. it is hard seeing that RAT engine sitting in the corner everyday doing nothing.

zen August 12th 2003 22:06

i went out to see the car today. charles had thrown some ford silver on to check how some areas would lay and is going to work on those areas. this silver is lighter. mine will be darker and blue-er. i have the headlights and some parts with the real color. i will take pics tomorrow when there is some daylight. for those that have seen it, it looks close to identical to my 944T.

i took pics and posted them on the VKG site. go to the member's page and go to my profile. it is linked off of the body section.

joe, if you want a page like this off of your profile, tell me (or email me) which pics you want included and what text with each.

charles said he should be done this weekend. he is working on a few areas, has to cut in my door contacts (wireless jams!!!), i am having him fill in the fresh air vents on the hood now and then spray it. will pick it up next week. woohoo!!!!!!!

vujade August 12th 2003 22:18

very cool Zen!

glad to see you make it to this stage.
it will be done in no time now.

its gonna look really good once its painted :D

NO_H2O August 13th 2003 08:13

Great to see it with some color on it. It looks awsome. Chuck does good work. Before long we will be out in force.:D

zen August 13th 2003 19:55

just added one pic of the finished headlight housing. it is the only part i brought home the other day. it will give you an idea though. click here and click on my name, then pics button on the body section.

vujade August 13th 2003 20:41

me thinks I like it :D

vujade August 14th 2003 08:40

Zen, a little inspiration for you :)

http://www.djsandstorm.com/gallery/a..._001.sized.jpg

zen August 14th 2003 18:35

nice. very nice. he has good taste. :D

hard to tell with monitor adjustment, but mine will be a bit darker and blue-er. and of course wider and shorter.

zen August 19th 2003 07:54

just heard from charles. i had added a few "to-do's" when out there last time so the weekend didn't happen. just got an update though. everything is hung and welded. as he was getting ready to do final sanding he found two more spots to fix. so hopefully he is spraying late this week.

vujade August 19th 2003 08:37

sounds like Bug Jam shouldnt be a problem for you then :D

zen August 19th 2003 11:43

well, there are still alot of outside factors:
headliner and ragtop wait time
suspension/brakes upgrade (shouldn't be an issue at all)
front and rear windows (only the back is really an issue)
misc small parts still needed

and then there is the factor that i will probably be moving in the middle of all of this. that is now my bigger concern. will have to time the suspension right so i know i can get the car on the ground for the move. we have an offer out and just accepted one that may be a little questionable on delivery of funds. can only wait and see.

zen August 19th 2003 13:51

just talked to Dave out at H&N. he can take it in around the first of september and only needs it a couple of days. so i will bring it home for a couple of weeks to do wiring, etc, take it over to him, then back home for the rest. one more duck in the row.

zen August 24th 2003 22:37

picked the car up today (minus the doors which need a touch up). i will post some pics in the next couple of days. been busting my butt on house stuff (selling and buying, paperwork, etc) for the last few days. and now have to pack on top of it. fun, fun. i will fit the car in there somewhere.

now the real work/fun begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone wanting to come over and throw some parts at it, let me know. :D

vujade August 25th 2003 01:41

thats great news man :D

mine goes to the headliner shop this week

jhelgesen August 25th 2003 08:19

Headliner shop? What a bunch of pansies. I just finished putting the headliner in my 73 bus yesterday, windows start going in this week. If I wasn't such a dumba$$, I would have taken pictures for a tech article. I'll shoot some this week and post them.

zen August 26th 2003 08:55

lol. if you are interested in doing a headliner in a chop top with a ragtop, just let me know. :D oh, btw, it has to be perfect. ;)

jhelgesen August 26th 2003 09:13

mmm, perfect costs more.

Could always coat the inside with spray on bedliner. :)

zen August 26th 2003 09:36

think you will be ready late september with brakes/suspension? i will be moving 16th and 17th. so the last week of september i think will be perfect. or first week of october.

i am still hunting down T2/181 CVs. ian wanted $110 each. ouch. so where did we leave it? i just need those, output flanges if i am going with T181 and soft lines right? anything else or do you have the difference covered?

zen August 28th 2003 10:02

quasi came home from paint over the weekend. still need to colorsand and buff, but it is looking good. more pics on the VKG site, but here is one...

http://www.volksport.net/images/projpics/zen13.jpg

vujade August 28th 2003 10:10

Zen, that looks freakin amazing!

NO_H2O August 28th 2003 17:10

LOVE THAT COLOR.:cool:
That car is going to rock. With a little help, we will have it at Bug Jam. Ah- I can see the line up now. I hope they will give out ear plugs at the Jam, because we are going to make some BIG NOISE.:goodness:

Racelook August 28th 2003 17:27

That's a great paintjob Zen!!!!!!

SUppaaahhh

Pillow August 28th 2003 23:01

Hell-a-sweet looking Zen!!!

ShApE August 29th 2003 02:12

:wowwow: that looks beautiful

zen August 29th 2003 07:25

thanks guys. i am VERY happy with the color. throwing the parts at it now. no_h20 is coming up next week to help me with some rewiring. just trying to schedule some of the more difficult issues right now like where to get a windshield (standard parts are soooo much easier), color-sanding/buffing, and headliner.

not having a trailer makes this very difficult and expensive!!!!!!

zen September 5th 2003 07:54

well, no_h20 came up yesterday and helped me make heads and tails of some of my wiring mess. got the rear and front lighting pretty much done, ran a harness for gauges, ran some sound wiring and wired the three main instruments. once i get my carbon joe stuff i will be able to mount the extra instruments. alarm system/remote entry is next.

btw, got my Westach dual CHT gauge yesterday. what a work of art. and hardly more than a VDO solution.

huge thanks to no_h20. it is good to have friends that are aviation mechanics. :D

NO_H2O September 5th 2003 09:15

It was nothing realy. We will do it again, got to get that car to Bug Jam. :D

zen September 26th 2003 12:34

you ever feel like the world is against you? i bust my butt to get my car to sanding and buffing last saturday. communicate my schedule. they say no problem. give us 3 days to get the body done. that way i can get it to interior while they do the rest.

well, today is friday (6 days later, 5 minus sunday), and they haven't even started. said they can probably have it done late next week.

so if everything went perfect with interior (not betting on that considering my track record now), that leaves me 4 weeks to pull everything together and have it tested. reality is probably more like 3.

the pressure is on. it can still be done. my chin is up (and so is my shotgun).

Rob September 26th 2003 12:59

I hope things work out for you.

There is nothing worse than having to wait for someone else
to do his job :(

Rob.

vujade September 26th 2003 13:17

Zen

that sux! I know the feeling :(

NO_H2O September 26th 2003 14:15

It would seem that Jake is the only person you have dealt with that has come thru on or ahead of the schedule.

jhelgesen September 26th 2003 14:25

You will have brakes at least. I'll be painting the calipers this weekend. Spindles look good, just need to finalize the spacers at the mounting holes.

zen September 26th 2003 16:03

yep. have to recheck now with interior to see if i will still be able to hit a gap in his schedule. then depending on that and my house move, i may bring the car back from buffing and tackle suspension and drive train before sending it to interior.

zen October 7th 2003 17:16

got the body and fenders back from buffinglast night. woohoo. he certainly had his work cut out for him. as expect, it makes everything look great but really shows the bad spots too. and i have some. overall looks good though.

brought it home last night to knock out a few more things. got the rest of the gauges in, hurt my brain trying to figure out how to fit the cooler with no luck, got the tranny in, and steering column is in.

took it to interior today. not holding my breath on anyone delivering on a date (based on my history with this project), but he said he should have it back to me friday or saturday. that would be too cool as i have nothing planned for the weekend but to work on that car.

time to work on those 951 parts some more through the week. creeping along.

zen October 10th 2003 06:44

headliner and top are already done. going to pick it up this morning. a day a head of time. now there is something i am not used to. of course we are under several days of rain now. this morning looks to be spotty and light though. just have to figure out how to protect it without beating up the frash paint.

vujade October 10th 2003 08:30

congrats on something getting done when it was supposed to :D

hopefully you & dave will be able to pull it all together.