GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How much did you spend on your GL Bug? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2531)

Vincent July 11th 2003 14:46

How much did you spend on your GL Bug?

here is my question, How much to budget for a GL bug.... I have a lot of ideas of what i want to do I figure I will spend about $10,000 total for the final project. I am wondering how much you guys have spent on your car?

jhelgesen July 11th 2003 15:16

Vincent,

Asking how much a project car cost is not a good idea. I know, I don't want to know how much I spend on my projects, otherwise I might not start them in the first place.

Or it may be like, "if you have to ask".

Ball park figures I would use:

6k for t4 motor
1k for big rims and tires
2k for big brakes and suspension
2k for interior and carbon goodies?
2-3k for a good paint job and body work

this doesn't include a car. :eek:

Anyone have sharper numbers?

Vincent July 11th 2003 15:56

that is not bad... if you think of what cars you can buy for around $10k most are not worth that just 3 years down the road. Not that you can ever get back the cost of what you spend on a project car. I was just trying to get an idea of what things cost and how much some people are putting in there cars.

Thanks for the reply.

Superman July 11th 2003 15:59

Right now I have close to $10,000 just in parts. The only "big" part I have left to buy is the wheels and tires (about $3k).

Shad Laws July 11th 2003 15:59

Re: How much did you spend on your GL Bug?

Hello-

here is my question, How much to budget for a GL bug....

Whew! Good thing you didn't ask about T3's :-).

I'm not sure if I even want to know the total anymore...

Take care,

Vincent July 11th 2003 16:28

ok so.... how much did you spend on your T3?

hot66 July 11th 2003 17:16

a lot & I'm still a long way off finishing. Mind you my cabrio, after spending all of its life in germany then in the UK, was a patchwork quilt & needed serious bodywork to become what it is today ( 1000 hours in bodywork & paint). You can see some shots of my car in 'bodywork stage' here : www.vwoneonone.co.uk & look in modifications, mine is the kermit green cabrio (now deep black :D )

vujade July 11th 2003 17:23

Depending on my engine and some other things I may upgrade, I will have between $15,000 - $18,000 when completed.

Vincent July 11th 2003 17:28

1 Attachment(s)
Wow that is a lot of work... Mine is in bad shape but not much rust.... had it sitting for the last 3 years and someone took the wheels, crapy old centerlines. I was going to replace them anyway. I have lots of work to do. have just started. Here is a pic of what it looked like 2 years ago when i parked it there. Looks much worse now. :(

Vincent July 11th 2003 17:31

1 Attachment(s)
inside of my 73 1303

petevw July 11th 2003 17:59

i used to keep a list of the money i was spending (spreadsheet). after i saw it hit $12,000 CAN i stopped writing stuff down. that was a couple years ago. i now need to get the car appraised, so i guess i'm going to scare myself silly this weekend. and the car still needs paint.

Vincent July 11th 2003 18:13

well if you look at as a hobbie/entertainment then it is not that bad that you have spent that much on your car. Look at new cars I sell Chevy's the adverage price is 26k and everyone comes and buys a new one every 3 to 4 years.... so If you look at how much they spend on just transportation our "hobbie" is cheap...

Shad Laws July 11th 2003 19:02

Hello-

ok so.... how much did you spend on your T3?

Um, well, by the time the new engine is built (goes from 220hp 2615cc to 350hp 3203cc), the tranny is upgraded (goes from 923 gearbox to heavily-fortified 923 gearbox), and the front suspension is redone (I hate twin trailing arms), I'll be somewhere around $25000-30000.

But, compared to a 7-series BMW or something, which is a decent modern equivalent to what my car is, that's still cheap :-).

Take care,

Alex July 11th 2003 22:38

I will not say a number....but for what I have spent up until now I could have bought a nice 911 and I am not talking about an older one. A nice 993 should have been cheaper as my GL bug.

The other reason why I do not want to give out a number is that my wife can actually read it and then I am screwed.

Alex

lightning bug July 12th 2003 04:16

HAHA. I'm probably in the 15K range. It'll be over 20 when finished.