GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Body (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   2 body questions (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11993)

wouter1303 June 16th 2020 03:41

2 body questions

Hi lads,

Sometimes I have some physical time to spend it on the bug...
Most times I am thinking what to do and which way to go with it.

So I was thinking about 2 things for the body.

1. If I decide not to use heat exchangers in the exhaust, the holes (where the hot air goes through) in the body can be closed. How did you guys do that? Weld them shut of made a bolt on cover plate for it?

2. Do the reinforced heater channel rails from a convertible helpstiffen things up? Are they bolt on or weld on?

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/body/rei...1d-30318a.html

412STi June 16th 2020 18:40

Hello wouter

They have to be welded. Screwing doesn't make sense because it doesn't bring stability in the long run. If you want to do this, you should also weld the reinforcement plates on the A and B pillars.
To your other question:
Build 2 lids and screw them with a suitable gasket.

wouter1303 June 17th 2020 02:46

Clear answers.
Time to design and let the lids lasercut in stainless steel :D

Blizzard June 17th 2020 15:17

It has been done before to weld the reinforced heater channel rails from a convertible under a sedan.

https://i.imgur.com/lZOV1UJ.jpg

But you already want to delete the heaterboxes, why don't you put the reinforcement inside and replace the heater channel with some kind of rollcage tube or a square bar.

No bulky heavy low dragging square bar onder your running boards.

wouter1303 June 18th 2020 02:26

That's what i thought. The reason not to open up the heater channels is because they are quite solid as a rock... I only had to fis some minor holes. But that was what was visible with the body still on the chassis....

Steve C June 19th 2020 19:03

3 Attachment(s)
Hi I did a few things on my 1303 to stiffen the body. a&b pillar stiffening and top of the b pillar and a stronger cross brace to replace the flimsy rear seat base

wouter1303 June 22nd 2020 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 92203)
Hi I did a few things on my 1303 to stiffen the body. a&b pillar stiffening and top of the b pillar and a stronger cross brace to replace the flimsy rear seat base

Does the rear seat still fit? I think I get angry faces if the kids can't ride in the back :rolleyes:
Those convert braces are on the list, just as many other things...:o

Steve C June 22nd 2020 03:26

I'm sure that you could get the rear seat base to fit, if the 25x50 was far enough forward for the seat base to snug in behind it

H2OSB June 23rd 2020 11:13

There was a company here in CA that sold bolt on vert rails which I wanted something fierce, but waited to long. The guy worked out of the Eyeball Engineering shop, and when the owner of EE died, the vert rail dude closed up shop and won't make them anymore. Not sure why. A buddy of mine who DID get them in time is considering making a pattern off of his.

H2OSB

owdlvr June 23rd 2020 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2OSB (Post 92228)
There was a company here in CA that sold bolt on vert rails which I wanted something fierce, but waited to long. The guy worked out of the Eyeball Engineering shop, and when the owner of EE died, the vert rail dude closed up shop and won't make them anymore. Not sure why. A buddy of mine who DID get them in time is considering making a pattern off of his.

H2OSB

This is interesting...I might be in for a set or two if he were. Can you get some photos?

H2OSB June 23rd 2020 13:33

I just talked to my friend who has them today. He's an engineer. He's going to make scale drawings of them, as his autocross car is currently down for an engine build. I will take them to my fabricator buddy to have a set built. I will ask if they're willing to make a jig and produce them to sell. If they're not, I'll do what I can to get a copy of the drawings/pics to you.

owdlvr June 23rd 2020 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2OSB (Post 92231)
I just talked to my friend who has them today. He's an engineer. He's going to make scale drawings of them, as his autocross car is currently down for an engine build. I will take them to my fabricator buddy to have a set built. I will ask if they're willing to make a jig and produce them to sell. If they're not, I'll do what I can to get a copy of the drawings/pics to you.

You rock!

wouter1303 June 24th 2020 04:46

Cool, a copy of the drawings would be nice!
It is just one of the things I would consider, but maybe it is overkill to do so (because standard AB engine).
In the future I am planning to build a bigger motor with the stuff I have lying around (engle w110, 2 36mm IDF webers) but I do not know the displacement yet. So reinforcing the body might be overkill?

The holes for the heating, I might use them to run the wiring loom through to the engine in stead of the standard through the C pillar.