GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your definition of the Germanlook style? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

volkdent February 5th 2008 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumba (Post 63676)
My contribution to the GL society :)

Me likey, any further progress?

Jason

tumba February 7th 2008 17:00

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by volkdent (Post 63972)
Me likey, any further progress?

Jason

Well, nothing at the moment. And that's basically because I'm about to move from Luxembourg to Sweden for a new job. I'm affraid it's going to go slow for a while...but once I've settled down I'll make a puch to finish it. There isn't much left to do.
Well.... I have tried out my secound set of rims :D .

For me German look is about style driven by perfromance.
I have tried to make my car a bit subtle on the surface :rolleyes:

TSAF February 4th 2010 10:30

For me German Look cars must have a lot of high tech goodies, big brakes, amazing suspension set up, and the most important of all AIR COOLED ENGINES Type I or type IV. I do not care if their interior is luxurious or with a plain bucket seat. I only care about their powerplants. For me Subaru engines have nothing to do with the scene. I understand that such an engine provides good value, money towards hp but the car is not GERMAN any more. Hard core German Look enthusiasts in Germany do not like this kind of applications on their cars. When you start cutting metal in order to fit an engine or something else then the car becomes a custom project or a hot rod. German Look scene came to surface because of the Kafer Cup cars, France, Austria and in Germany. None of the cup cars had Subaru or other type of water cooled engines. Once I saw a stunning 1303 convertible in England and it was powered by a 16 valve golf engine. I will say it once more: GERMAN LOOK CARS MUST HAVE ONLY AIR COOLED TYPE I OR TYPE IV POWERPLANTS WITH A PORSCHE FAN SITTING ON TOP. END OF STORY.

volkdent February 4th 2010 12:06

I guess mine is Fun Cup Look then! Time to start a new website...:lmao:

Jason

Steve C February 4th 2010 17:21

Hi

I hope our part of the VW scene never gets as regimented as the Cal Look scene, you have to do such & such (Fuchs & IDAs etc) to be a Cal Looker etc, I like the individual flair that many cars display on this site.

Steve

vwdreaming February 4th 2010 20:03

its a little boring when the round peg has to go in the round hole every time :rolleyes:

Axl February 4th 2010 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSAF (Post 73972)
For me German Look cars must have a lot of high tech goodies, big brakes, amazing suspension set up, and the most important of all AIR COOLED ENGINES Type I or type IV. I do not care if their interior is luxurious or with a plain bucket seat. I only care about their powerplants. For me Subaru engines have nothing to do with the scene. I understand that such an engine provides good value, money towards hp but the car is not GERMAN any more. Hard core German Look enthusiasts in Germany do not like this kind of applications on their cars. When you start cutting metal in order to fit an engine or something else then the car becomes a custom project or a hot rod. German Look scene came to surface because of the Kafer Cup cars, France, Austria and in Germany. None of the cup cars had Subaru or other type of water cooled engines. Once I saw a stunning 1303 convertible in England and it was powered by a 16 valve golf engine. I will say it once more: GERMAN LOOK CARS MUST HAVE ONLY AIR COOLED TYPE I OR TYPE IV POWERPLANTS WITH A PORSCHE FAN SITTING ON TOP. END OF STORY.

A lot of people are talking in this forum about how german look is not regimented , and has the freedom to do a lot of different things . I like the ability to try different things . Saying it has to be aircooled with a Porsche fan shroud or its not german look is very much a big contrast to that way of thinking . I want to put a scooby engine in a bug , so that means its no longer german? I think its time to pull your head from the sand and realize that not everything has to be just one way . This hobby is as diverse and diffeent as everyone who is in it . If we all had the same style with the same engine and the same shroud with the same whatever else , then this hobby would get real boring real fast!

Steve C February 4th 2010 22:03

Hi

To me the German Look has three main aims, to make a rear engined VW, stop better, go better & handle better, to do this you are able to use components from other car makers, if your doing that your doing the GL thang.

Steve

chug_A_bug February 5th 2010 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 73985)
Hi

To me the German Look has three main aims, to make a rear engined VW, stop better, go better & handle better, to do this you are able to use components from other car makers, if your doing that your doing the GL thang.

Steve

:rockon: :D

72marinablue February 5th 2010 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwdreaming (Post 73983)
its a little boring when the round peg has to go in the round hole every time :rolleyes:

A round peg could fit in a triangle, a square, or a slightly oblong circle. It just depends on what day of the week it is.

Wally February 5th 2010 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 73985)
Hi

Steve

+1 ;)

In Germany I have seen really nice bugs that had a tuned 1600 type 1 with just wider but stock looking wheels which definately had the german-style all over them.

Jim February 5th 2010 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axl (Post 73984)
A lot of people are talking in this forum about how german look is not regimented , and has the freedom to do a lot of different things . I like the ability to try different things . Saying it has to be aircooled with a Porsche fan shroud or its not german look is very much a big contrast to that way of thinking . I want to put a scooby engine in a bug , so that means its no longer german? I think its time to pull your head from the sand and realize that not everything has to be just one way . This hobby is as diverse and diffeent as everyone who is in it . If we all had the same style with the same engine and the same shroud with the same whatever else , then this hobby would get real boring real fast!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

evilC February 5th 2010 05:34

The one overriding element that defines Germanlook for me (oh how I hate that description - GermanLOOK) is excellence in engineering both in the thought and the execution not in creating a style - the look/style comes from the engineering. Remember "God is in the details".
You could still throw all the usual components at a bug shell and not acheive the result. Alternatively, you could put it all together with the standard basics but with improvements along the way all to improve performance and that to me would be 'Germanlook'. If you sit there with the catalogue open selecting your list of parts for the 'look' then you are not a true afficionado.

TSAF February 5th 2010 05:42

Sorry I did not write my opinion in order to create enemies. We are talking about the identity of a car. The identity of a car is the powerplant and in our case is air cooled. I do not care if the car runs on fuchs, bbs, cup's, standard iron wheels, etc. The powerplant though must be air cooled. I understand that a high performance subaru motor is extremely cheap in comparison to a high performance type I or type IV but when somebody fits a subaru and starts cutting metal from the car then the identity changes. It becomes a customized car.

Steve C February 5th 2010 08:39

Hi

You wont make enemies here, we all can value each others opinion with getting our kickers in a twist.

Steve