GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   NACA scoops. (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3588)

boygenius December 31st 2003 19:50

NACA scoops.

How much of a bend can I put in the 3" hose that comes off of my naca scoop without hurting the air flow. I have to place the hoses into a "S" shape. The purpose of the ducts is to introduce cool air to the cooling fan and an oil cooler. Thanx for any info.:)

boygenius January 7th 2004 22:52

Anybody have any information before I weld in the pipes through my firewall.

Just some more information for you. My firewall is moved foward so it is just behind were the rear seat used to be. My naca ducts will be in my rear quarter windows. Any information would be appreciated. :)

zen January 7th 2004 23:12

i can't speak from experience, but only from logic. seems to me the longer the distance of the bend, the less of an impact it is. so even if you go 90 degrees, as long as it is over the distance of a couple of feet, it probably is not an issue.

just my 2 uneducated cents.

samcat January 8th 2004 05:12

Sounds about right, make any bends as smooth a transition as possible.
Also, try and use pipe which has a smooth inside, this helps the airflow nicely :D

Cya,
Sam C

craazy Cooter January 8th 2004 12:25

Just use tubing thay has a smooth interior, and only bend as straight as possible. The bends really wont restrict too much, because there is a large vacuum from the fan and carbs. No ram air effect. Yes, the naca duct works better in a pop out.

oasis January 8th 2004 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
How much of a bend can I put in the 3" hose that comes off of my naca scoop without hurting the air flow. I have to place the hoses into a "S" shape. The purpose of the ducts is to introduce cool air to the cooling fan and an oil cooler.

I don't remember the equation that would give the relationship between angle-of-hose to loss-of-radius but it may be more significant than you think -- especially when there will be two bends.

Is it possible to have a pipe or hose made with a Mandrel bend? Or is it possible to have a four inch hose made with three inch ends such that it will be the four inch diameter section that will contain the bends?

I am also concerned about the actual physics of the air flow. If, for example, the three inch hose is reduced to a two inch average diameter at the first bend, the air flow will not be regained in the next three inch section. Then, the flow has to face another bend in the S-shape configuration.

If the above alternatives are not possible, I hope there is a way to monitor the results of what you do scientifically.

GUTTERS January 14th 2004 14:49

one way of getting away from bending the pipe work is to run the driver side scoop pipe to the passenger out let in the fire wall and vica versa for the other side, just a thought thats all. :)

boygenius January 14th 2004 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUTTERS
one way of getting away from bending the pipe work is to run the driver side scoop pipe to the passenger out let in the fire wall and vica versa for the other side, just a thought thats all. :)

Thats what I was thinking of doing. I think I will weld the through fire wall pipes at an angle to reduce the bend. :)