GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I have a new old car! (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4597)

oasis July 18th 2004 13:32

I have a new old car!

I am now the proud owner of a 1971 Super Beetle. Yay, me!

It is Shantung Yellow (L12D) -- a one-year only color which was available on Beetles, 1302s, Type 3s and Type 4s. (A US 1971 411 in Shantung yellow must be the rarest thing on earth as '71s only existed April through July that year.) I really like the color, so I have abandoned my plan for a Cinnabar (LK2Y) respray which is a 1997-only, Cabrio-only color. I think Cinnabar would be awesome on a GLer.

I went there two Saturdays ago unannounced (I have my reasons) when the car first appeared on eBay. No one was there but I was able to crawl all around like the village idiot checking the car as much as I could from all of the great advice I have received here and elsewhere.

I went again last Saturday with the auction still running to test drive it. Some of you will remember the questions I raised after that experience, so there is no reason to rehash all of that. Ultimately, I was the high bidder but I did not meet the reserve.

After stewing a bit, I called to find out the reserve. I came up; they came down; I agreed upon certain stipulations; they agreed.

My third trip to Ephrata, Penn. proved to be the charm. The car handled the somewhat dodgey roads of my neighbor to the north without complaint and buzzed down I-83 at 65 MPH effortlessly. The stock set-up had more to give but I was still learning its "personality" ... and to me, there's nothing sadder than a car with temporary tags broken down or in an accident.

The car has some minor quirks which I want to have addressed before I proceed any further. There is a vent lever of some sort inside the defroster vent on the right side which is missing or broken. The floor mats are from a Ford. One thing I didn't test before because I couldn't figure out how was the rear window defroster. It doesn't seem to work although the dash light comes on.

After that, I want to get disk brakes. But here is where the trouble begins.

My wife and daughter want me to keep the car as close to stock as possible because how nice it looks externally. It is rustfree and the respray was done correctly -- indeed, it looks like it was done 13 days ago, not 13 years ago.

The interior is somewhat worn and is the only indicator that the car is as old as it is with 94k miles on it (which I believe to be correct). The headliner is no longer bright, but there are no tears. It would take little to make this ready for a movie set (my wife's idea).

The trouble is there is a part of me which agrees with them. My German Look plans have been scaled back somewhat just because I think a 1302 and a 1303 (my original focus was a '75) offer very different looks as a basis. My plans for the 1303 included wider fenders, a lower stance and would have been more in-your-face with its attitude in its final form.

Since I have gone flat-screen with my purchase, it will be more subdued without embarking on anything which isn't reversible. It'll be more of a sleeper.

It's funny how I have to get reacquainted with starting a non-fuel-injected car again. It's also funny how I used to sneer at ads for saying, "it really turns heads." But now, I'm experiencing that -- and much more than I ever did driving my little Rabbit-based Pickup.

I buzzed around downtown Baltimore for its first night drive last night. My daughter said a couple of times, "People are pointing," or something like that. I forgot how, um, pedestrian the dash lights are. At least they work! Woohoo! Oh, I need to get an interior light and a sunroof crank handle. Two more no biggies.

It is odd to look at "Shantung" -- when I do GL it, it'll be the "Shantung Racer" -- co-mingling with the its water-cooled brethren. First off, it's not white whereas the other three are. Then, after hearing my wife saying several times, "It's like a toy," (It is, dear. It is) it is actually surprisingly close in length bumper-to-bumper as her Golf IV.

I could go on and on but right now, I have somewhere to go. I don't know where exactly but I know it's gotta be now!

Thanks to all who have helped getting me off the sidelines and into the game. Now, I've got to start calling some plays!

boygenius July 18th 2004 13:50

Sweet. Congratulations on the your purchase... Post some pics of it when you get a chance.

zen July 18th 2004 13:52

congrats!!!!! :agree: :agree:

always good to know one has found a good and safe home. have fun with it. take lots of pics of the mods to share. that is what keeps each other going. and makes for some good tech articles for the site too. ;)

vujade July 18th 2004 14:03

congrats... whatever you do with it, Im sure you will experience many years of enjoyment :D

Supa Ninja July 18th 2004 20:10

I'm glad you finally found a Super that you seem to be very happy with. When you start tuning the suspension, and begin to unlock that vehicles true nature, the path will lead in a definite GL direction.

Nick

Steve C July 18th 2004 21:08

Hi

Im starting a new project soon, do you have any pictures of cars with Cinnabar paint.

Steve C

oasis July 19th 2004 09:21

Thanks to all for the kind words. I will indeed take pics as well as pics in progress.

Taking care of minor things is Priority One.

Figuring out improved braking and handling while maintaining a degree of comfort is Priority One-A. This will take care of the stock wheels ... and my wife's dream of a movie set car. Uh huh. That's realistic.

Nothing I will do will be irreversible. The chrome -- I know, I know -- including the bumpers will stay as is. For now. Same goes for the stock engine (AE-code since I know that means something). The chrome is first rate and the engine is strong, so no rush to get the Type IV, or deciding on vujade's tech article on chrome versus chrome removal. By the time I get to c/f bumpers, I will be practically finished.

Then, it'll be ready for a 21st Century Sci-fi movie. LOL.

Steve C, here is the only active picture link of Cinnabar I could find. Please note: It is a 1996-only, VW Cabrio-only color; not 1997 as I mistakenly posted above. Also, it is a metallic. I don't know if Aussie paint codes are the same as they are here.

[edit] Image deleted because it was replaced by a stinking ad. I hope you got to see it. I'll post another if I ever see one again. In the meanwhile, I hope it stops raining here soon so I can take pictures of mine. [/edit]

It is brighter on bright days. It is eerily cool under street lights. One of the mods this Cabbie endured (besides the obvious) is the black interior, top and top cover. They were originally tan which looked awesome but soiled easily.

yetibone July 19th 2004 19:56

Congrats on the new aquistiton! Yes, do send pics when you can.

It sounds like it's been pretty nicely kept before you got it, so there's not much that needs doing to the car before you can drive it regularly.

Some 1302's came with front disk brakes, and it's easy to convert, so you could argue to the wife that "it's still stock :D " but that would stick you with VW, and 914 wheels.

BTW, check the little relay under the rear seat on the driver's side. That's where the defroster relay was on my girlfriend's 1302, and my 1303.

Steve C July 20th 2004 08:10

Hi Oaisi

Thats a nice looking car, nice colour.

Steve C

oasis July 20th 2004 14:10

The car came with only one key which fits the ignition and doors. I had a copy made. The lock company couldn't change the glove box or engine lid to use those keys, and wanted $80 to make a key for the existing units. Buying replacements will be much cheaper.

The rear window defroster works back to the window, but the grid is shot. So, a new rear window will have to be ordered and fitted.

The motor mounts are reportedly somewhat worn, but my guys say I can wait 'til I need a clutch as there is no urgency.

My guys criticized the rear gas shocks as being too stiff for that light of a car. I'm not sure if they are totally aware that the car will not remain stock forever.

Otherwise, they gave me a thumbs up for a good purchase.

Oh, when I was at the lock emporium, I realized the temporary tag fell off. I drove all day yesterday without tags on the front or back without incident. I did get "historic" tags which allows me to eventually use period piece tags. I would love to find a set of 1971-75 Maryland tags with "GL 1302" on it. LOL, yeah, right! I have tags from then but I'm holding out for something better.

I'm borrowing my daughter's Polaroid to take insurance pictures tonight. Hopefully, my wife will bring home the digital camera so I can post some "before" pictures.

Thanks for the kind words!

NO_H2O July 20th 2004 20:12

Sounds like you did good with this one. I don't know of anyone that still has a good rear defog glass. I removed mine and put a non-defog glass in it after the headliner was in.

Bullyboy July 23rd 2004 18:38

The headliner fix is real easy with duplicolor vinyl dye. Take out the seats and mask the rest that you don't want sprayed. We did our 73' back in 1986 the headliner is still that silver color. We Just finished a restoration on the car sothe original was put in a box. You can still see the original cruddy color on the spots that were covered by rubber.
Let your wife and daughter dye it, just make sure to cover all exposed body parts and wear a respirator.
Good Luck