GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your definition of the Germanlook style? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

oasis April 5th 2006 07:54

Actually when I look closely, I see something more sinister than pea-shooters for an exhaust ...

http://img228.echo.cx/img228/8350/1302drvbck3qtr4oi.jpg

... like mine :rolleyes: ... for the time being. ;)

Wally makes a good point which is my way of saying I agree with him. :D

Oh, and I also noticed the "VW 914" within the license plate.

THEBURG April 13th 2006 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally
Martin Botts 1303 from a few posts down is what I would describe as a typical 'German' car:

http://www.bugat5speed.de/cms/images...fer-fertig.jpg

If you look closely, you will see its almost stock on the outside, but the quality of the built oozes off from it...
Like I said before, german-style is what its about, not german-'Look' :rolleyes:

Yep, looks like it's ready to pounce on the first unsuspecting ricer it comes across! :cool: I dig that paint as well, check out the reflexion, just like taking a picture of home, yes?

ccain529 April 26th 2006 16:01

When it's done right, to me it looks almost as if someone had unbolted the body of a Turbo S or even a Formula 1 racecar and replaced it with VW sheet metal! With the right rake they look as though they are speeding while setting still.
If you're like me and dig "Alternate History Fiction", whose to say this isn't the plan that Dr. Porsche had when he designed the Type 1. After all the early 356's had a lot in common with thier VW "Family Transport" counterparts! Had the Air Cooled beetle stayed in production in Germany maybe some chasis' would have found their way to a performance coach builder. Probably a topic that should be brought up on another thread but, could you imagine going down to your local VW dealer and Buying a pre-tuned, turbo, Porsche powered Type 1?

oasis April 26th 2006 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain529
If you're like me and dig "Alternate History Fiction" ...

This is scary ... I am a huge fan of Uchronia, too.

Hebster52 April 27th 2006 16:49

My prejudice (if one might call it that) is that the GL is Hi-perf engine and transmission combined with a chassie that is made for highspeeds on Autobahn or any racetrack when ever you feel like it and all fitted inside a showfinished body.

fastdub January 24th 2007 13:00

i remember reading an article written by keith seume, where he said 'german look cars have to be equipped with 17" wheels minimum' or words to that effect

in my opinion the greatest german looker ever built is christian steltzer's marathon blue 1303, and that runs 15" bbs split rims

a close 2nd to that is the burgandy semi auto that runs 16" compomotive fuchs-esque split rims

does a true german looker need track inspired features ?

Axl January 24th 2007 22:02

17" rims seem to be the standard , but just like most styles , its all up to the individual's taste and perception of what the look is . In my opinion , with so many different rim manufacturers and styles , its next to impossible to say you have to run a certain type of rim to be considered a GL car . If everyone had the same style rim , this would fast become a cookie-cutter style of car . Of course , that's just my opinion , and I am sure there will be someone dissagreeing with what I have said . That's fine ,they are allowed to have their opinions , no matter how wrong they are!!!!:D

Veedub February 1st 2007 00:41

Well Im new to the VW Bugs in general, I knew about the cal look, but did no know a German look existed.I like both looks and thought og a GL/CL combo would be cool.I think GL focuses on mostly fiberglass add ons as I notice you you need wider fenders for wider tires and so on. Also they focus on handling, and performance. But cal look, focuses on just performance and there bodies are stock and to me they do the same constant things over and over.Originally I was a fan of the Jap Imports. (ricers as you call them)My friends are ricers :laugh: they own hondas and when they heard I went to the darkside they were :eek: and were like 'Why",and well my issue with those cars was there to expensive to build up, for a sentra, a 4-2-1 header costs 499.95 now compare that to a header for a bug :laugh:So one day I went and picked up a HVW mag and there was a bug (it was GL but I didnt know at the time) it was orange and had nice rims (was 1 year ago anyway) then I wanted a bug and got a 72 Standard bug for 500 bucks.
Sorry for getting off subject, kind of, anyway in my opinion, GL is like the "ricer" world of the VW area, sorry no offense, but thats my opinion.

EvilAngel February 1st 2007 01:32

Hi vewedub, I must differ with you, since "ricers" are not all jap imports, but, strictly speaking, jap import posers. Those who add 20'' rims and a three feet wing on a civic, and then keep the engine stock. Those who want to look like racers but are just posers, those are ricers to me (ant to several sources of information as well).

GL, instead, focuses on performance above all. The fenders are just there to keep the wide tires inside, and the wider tires have a function. Every body mod must be there because of a function. No bling bling here, no neon lights and the like. Just performance, in every sense, from brakes to engine. And, as you point, GL is more about circuit, while CL is morea bout drag racing.

Veedub February 1st 2007 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilAngel (Post 56770)
And, as you point, GL is more about circuit, while CL is morea bout drag racing.

ok true but wouldnt it be cool if you do a GL/CL combo that does both?:laugh: :laugh:

EvilAngel February 1st 2007 01:49

it certainly would be, but there are things that are just incompatible. CL uses skinny tires on the front for decreasing drag, while GL uses fat tires all arounf for added grip. Also the source of inspiration of both styles is very different, one being based on kafer cup cars, and late style european cars; and the other being based on what a car club thought would be cool in the early 70's. There is, however, a more important fact here. What YOU want, the way you like your car. It really doesn't matter if it's a true gl or a true CL the only thing that matters is that you like your car, and that it truly expresses your way of life, or whatever you intend to express with it. Styles, as I see them, are more like a guideline. The only style that matters, or that should matter to you anyway, is your style. Take me for example. Is my car going to be a TRUE GL, having no porsche part at all? Some would say it isn't but who cares, anyway. It's the way I like it, and it would look more than a GL than like anything else, and it certainly will perform GL-style

Veedub February 1st 2007 01:57

Yeah , take mine for example it isnt a cal look or a german look (im staying the 2 tone by the way, with my idea I got) ;)
Im going to run the current 15x4.5's front and rear with 195/60's, then narrow the front beam (since the front wheels stick out) 2 or 3" or to where my tire can tuck in the fender and for rear since its right even with the fender, i'll buy 1.25" wider fenders, then lower the whole car 3" front and rear, I think the tires will tuck in the fenders kind of.Not GL or CL but its what I want. :D I mean it will have handling upgrades like the typical GL, but power to run the 1/4 like a typical CL, if the 195's on 4.5" wheels dont spin at take off (if I was to take it to the track) :laugh:

Sorry if I hi jacked the thread, donno if I did or not though.

effvee February 12th 2007 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 48644)
Martin Botts 1303 from a few posts down is what I would describe as a typical 'German' car:

http://www.bugat5speed.de/cms/images...fer-fertig.jpg

If you look closely, you will see its almost stock on the outside, but the quality of the built oozes off from it...
Like I said before, german-style is what its about, not german-'Look' :rolleyes:

Hi, well the car looks good enough to frame, and remind oneself to stay on track, stay the course:D

oasis February 13th 2007 12:12

Looks close enough to my car. :laugh:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3669/rearqtrlh6.jpg

:cool:

wrenchnride247 February 13th 2007 12:52

Oasis, I think Martin has you beat... He's got a German license plate:rolleyes: :laugh:

Wally February 13th 2007 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasis (Post 57103)
Looks close enough to my car. :laugh:

Ditto :D

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/37415.jpg

Plus, our cars are AIRCOOLED ! Big difference IMnot-soHO hihi.

dirk.Gysbrechts February 13th 2007 16:07

awesome car Walter...and i mean it!!!!!!!!!!!:)

chug_A_bug February 13th 2007 16:34

they are all sweet cars guys... Wally what did you get on the Dyno?? whats the specs on that car??

Chris.

Wally February 13th 2007 17:41

Tnx Dirk, and yours too of course!

Chris, I 'll update my 'q's about Wally's ride' thread so this thread can stay OT ;)

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5569

oasis February 14th 2007 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenchnride247 (Post 57106)
Martin has you beat... He's got a German license plate

:trophy: :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 57108)
Ditto [on looking close to Martin Botts 1303]

I have always admired your car, too. I love your smart looking wheels. :agree: :agree:

Wally February 14th 2007 08:14

Thanks, but my car is actually very near stock (except for the wheels and wider fenders) on the outside!
It shows just how little is needed...and also shows that a german'look' is more about under the skin than exterior 'looks'. Its more subtle IMO and has some qualities of a 'sleeper' also.

But your right also when you say that 'wheels maketh the car' :D
(BTW before the 18", I actually had the same wheels as Martins car, only before he did :p )

Scotts73SB March 7th 2007 00:09

Unlimited Cash and skills...
This is pretty much Germanlook overkill..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=386105

chug_A_bug March 7th 2007 01:17

that's thing is soo Sweet not over kill to me :)

Axl March 7th 2007 01:47

Nice square , but it is built for straight line racing , and not much for handling (at least thats what I got from reading the ad). GL's are more about the handling and power , not just power .

oasis March 7th 2007 13:30

I agree it isn't built for turns but I do like the fuel cell. Some day I want to get a similar contraption from those folks. :)

ricola March 8th 2007 04:38

I don't know why he says all that about it being built for straight line speed... I think that is just to appeal to more people, when it was built it was very much for handling, hence the double wishbone front end, big brakes etc etc, a long way from your typical 1/4 mile racer...

Rich

kodee March 21st 2007 08:32

3 Attachment(s)
my car is ver much like wally's. I have a completely stock body, boxster 16x6 & 16x7's under all stock fenders on a 67. it has a t1 engine (2110) with msd, and a built box. it still has full bumpers and even has empi bumper extensions, however somehow it doesn't look really funky. but back to the topic at hand, to me German Look is more or less each individuals perception of what their ideal modern, we'll say 2006 model vw would be. if they want painted or CF bumpers and trim, that's cool, no trim, or even chrome trim. great big brakes, airdams, wings, it's all about what looks good, while having FUNCTION. i've yet to see a CL that has a huge 10" tach and 22's just to have it, everything fits in it's place, and belongs there. it's all about having what you need, and not what you don't.

chug_A_bug March 21st 2007 14:28

Very NICE
love the paint

kodee March 22nd 2007 16:08

yup, that's good ole zenith blue...

Veedub April 9th 2007 20:52

Could this pass as a form of German Look?
If I take my 2 tone painted bug, lower the bug to a nice stance. Put some type of rim on it that everyone kind of hates, baja rims that are 15x5's and 15x6's, that stick out kind of, so when its lowerd it has that squated "I dont give a.... " look? If not what would it be considered?

I seen a black slammed baja an some type of blue beetle slammed, which gave me the idea.

1303nic August 21st 2007 10:07

german look

3 Attachment(s)
I believe the german look is left alot to personality. I do believe it is about upgrades and mods, but is also down to person style. i believe my car to be german look but that is my personal opinion sum1 else could look @ it and think its jus a boy racer car. Mine is original gold dechromed with a kamei front spoiler, and wide steels not porsche or after market wheels. Although i have a engine uprade on the way mine is still standard with just a disk brake conversion and lowered 2"

To me German look is incorporating old-skool styling wit new-skool technology and upgrades.

sorry bout pictures unfortunatly haven't had chance to take some better ones.

tumba January 20th 2008 13:04

2 Attachment(s)
My contribution to the GL society :)

Thumper January 30th 2008 06:50

Very nice Tumba. I like the style you are going for.

Not many German lookers in my neighbourhood, and the interpretation is more simple. I see a few with VW relatives wheels on as a start. Vanagon or VW busses, Audi TT rims on one.

I think 'function dictates the form' is the right idea. Modern twist to the old shape. I love the watercooled engine, although I run an aircooled myself. But i like the Subaru solution, even a rotary will be fine;)

blitzvw February 5th 2008 13:57

i worked in germany for a while and asked some of the lads there what they thought german look was and they said in as many words that what they were after was as much power and handling as they could get past the inspectors in something that didn't look like their dad's bug. They used porshe and other german marques because they represented the pinnacle of engineering at the time and because german parts are naturaly very available in germany. It's interesting that many younger germans don't mind using parts from other marques if the kit is better engineered (or perceived as).

Wally February 5th 2008 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-dubliner (Post 63967)
i worked in germany for a while and asked some of the lads there what they thought german look was and they said in as many words that what they were after was as much power and handling as they could get past the inspectors in something that didn't look like their dad's bug. They used porshe and other german marques because they represented the pinnacle of engineering at the time and because german parts are naturaly very available in germany. It's interesting that many younger germans don't mind using parts from other marques if the kit is better engineered (or perceived as).

Good story and thats mostly how I see it as well.

I've said it before and will do so again because of your story proves it again: Its NOT about looks!! The german treatment will just render a certain subtle 'look', but thats purely secondary. Heck, most germans try to avoid too conspicious looks just to be able to pass inspection/Tüv more easily! Sleeper is more true of the early pure 'german' cars therefore. The 'understatement idea' also fits the 'style' better.

The site should have been called GermanStyle.com or s/th like that :D

volkdent February 5th 2008 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumba (Post 63676)
My contribution to the GL society :)

Me likey, any further progress?

Jason

tumba February 7th 2008 17:00

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by volkdent (Post 63972)
Me likey, any further progress?

Jason

Well, nothing at the moment. And that's basically because I'm about to move from Luxembourg to Sweden for a new job. I'm affraid it's going to go slow for a while...but once I've settled down I'll make a puch to finish it. There isn't much left to do.
Well.... I have tried out my secound set of rims :D .

For me German look is about style driven by perfromance.
I have tried to make my car a bit subtle on the surface :rolleyes:

TSAF February 4th 2010 10:30

For me German Look cars must have a lot of high tech goodies, big brakes, amazing suspension set up, and the most important of all AIR COOLED ENGINES Type I or type IV. I do not care if their interior is luxurious or with a plain bucket seat. I only care about their powerplants. For me Subaru engines have nothing to do with the scene. I understand that such an engine provides good value, money towards hp but the car is not GERMAN any more. Hard core German Look enthusiasts in Germany do not like this kind of applications on their cars. When you start cutting metal in order to fit an engine or something else then the car becomes a custom project or a hot rod. German Look scene came to surface because of the Kafer Cup cars, France, Austria and in Germany. None of the cup cars had Subaru or other type of water cooled engines. Once I saw a stunning 1303 convertible in England and it was powered by a 16 valve golf engine. I will say it once more: GERMAN LOOK CARS MUST HAVE ONLY AIR COOLED TYPE I OR TYPE IV POWERPLANTS WITH A PORSCHE FAN SITTING ON TOP. END OF STORY.

volkdent February 4th 2010 12:06

I guess mine is Fun Cup Look then! Time to start a new website...:lmao:

Jason

Steve C February 4th 2010 17:21

Hi

I hope our part of the VW scene never gets as regimented as the Cal Look scene, you have to do such & such (Fuchs & IDAs etc) to be a Cal Looker etc, I like the individual flair that many cars display on this site.

Steve