GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Uprights for double a arm suspension? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4154)

miller April 14th 2004 02:17

Uprights for double a arm suspension?

Im lookin for a set of uprights to use for my double a arm suspension. THe vw ones would work but id rather get a set that has the ball joint mounts further apart and a set that has lots of rim and break options. here is what im lookin for

1. Lots of wheel options
2. Prepherably used on another double a-arm car
3. Good breaks stock or good upgrades.
4. Fairly cheap and popular

Are their any other consideration I should look out for?

Im thinkin fiero would be a good option. Also some other cars like toyota supra and other 80 early 90's sportscars. Thanks

miller April 15th 2004 21:12

Anybody????

Shadowbug April 15th 2004 23:02

toyota supra, but the wrecker will probably want too much fro them.

boygenius April 15th 2004 23:12

Uprights.. you mean spindles... same thing but different name...

My 1987 RX-7 had aluminum lower control arms and steel upper arms. 10.5" rotors with 4 pot calipers. It would do 130mph to 0mph all day long without missing a beat. I think it was 5 X 112 lug pattern or something close so there would be alot of wheel options. Hope this is what you were looking for. :)

SuperRSi April 16th 2004 13:07

It seems the early 928 Porsche front suspension is a popular choice with the guys doing the conversion. The early 928 parts are cheap also. Mid 80's S4 cars have the bigger brakes and will cost more money. Both have the right bolt pattern for some P-car wheels.

Thanks,

Randy

miller April 16th 2004 23:20

I like the rx7 idea seeing how their are tons in the junkyards. Ill have to check out how they mount up. I was thinkin porsche but it seems ill be limited in rim choices and getting stock parts might get expensive. I might try hondas. Tons of rim and break options.

Shadowbug April 17th 2004 00:34

honda uses a mcferson strut front suspension.

miller April 17th 2004 00:48

I thought they used a multi link suspension kinda like nissan uses. Anybody have any experience with fiero spindles?

volkdent April 18th 2004 21:24

Don't go 928. They are a big pain in the butt. I have a set of 928 S spinles and rotors sitting in my garage, but I'm not going to use them as the mounting point for the rack and pinion is very low, while the AC VW setup has them high. Think about where your steering will be before you purchase. Take a look at the relationship of the steering knuckle to the wheel center on the stock setup when you go looking. RX7 sounds good, but I havn't seen what they look like. Keep us posted. I'm using stock Karmann Ghia right now for my conversion.

Jason

miller April 19th 2004 03:06

I want a rear steer setup like the vw has. I hear that has some advantages all of wich I forget right now but I do know it would be easier as far as packaging goes. Thanks for bringing that up I totally forgot about that factor.

pantswagen May 10th 2004 13:55

mustang 2

hot rodders choice?

Chris Percival May 11th 2004 03:35

I was going to say talk to rodders, they will know...

Shadowbug May 11th 2004 10:03

what generation of rx7would you use? I just snagged the calipers off a rx7 turbo, and the front end was definatly macpherson, it did have nice alloy lower arms though.

as to the 928 uprights, they would probably work if a guy torched the frame head and buill up your own assembly.

boygenius May 11th 2004 19:10

I think the RX-7 rack and pinion steering can be adapted to fit in a super bettle so maybe the RX-7 suspension would be the best bet. The second generation (1986-1991) have aluminum lower arms. I'm not sure about the older ones. Just make sure that you get the correct suspension you want. Thebase model had 4 lug wheels but the GXL and the turbo models had 5 lug wheels. The one I owned had electronicly controlled suspension. That might be some thing for you to play with. Oh a drifting I will go, a drifting I will go, high ho the dairy oh, a drifting I will go. :laugh:

miller May 15th 2004 23:31

was the rx7 mac strut? I was readin a UK car builder forum and chevy s-10 spindles came up. IF anybody else has a suggestion im all ears.