GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   rebuild pictures (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7136)

speedy February 19th 2006 13:22

rebuild pictures

5 Attachment(s)
well i have started my rebuild so here are a few pictures of before and the start of during lol :D

vw_aholic February 24th 2006 14:31

lookin good, keep us updated

speedy February 25th 2006 16:52

5 Attachment(s)
well here is some updated pictures ,engine is in and justabout plumbed in and the brakes are on :D , the interior is next but i could not resist trying the gear selector for size ,hopefully the engine should be running on monday night but i made a new harness, so fingers crossed :p

Noncompusmentis February 25th 2006 19:12

Nice one speedy! Looking cooooool!

Looks like your getting a warmer winter than me ;)

speedy February 26th 2006 02:08

well i should not have any heating problems with that turbo in the back :D

ricola February 26th 2006 17:08

Very nice job! Comsidering it isn't scooby :D

Should be a cool car when you've finished, nice detailing!

Rich

speedy February 27th 2006 02:24

cheers rich , all the oil pipes to go on today if they turn up, blue and red adonized fittings :laugh: , i have to admit i am a bit picky when it comes to the details , but i am going to hurry my arse up if i am to have it finished for easter, on another subject what did you find was the best way to bleed your brake setup?

Racelook February 28th 2006 14:47

Sweeeeeeeeeeet :D

WIebrand

ricola February 28th 2006 16:40

I used a Gunson's easibleed kit I bought from Halfords, worked great! On my other car with AP brakes a lot of people have problems with bleeding but with this kit it is no problem at all, always gonna be easier than getting the wife out for pumping! :D

Rich

speedy February 28th 2006 17:42

5 Attachment(s)
cheers for that rich, i had a go today ,fitted a valve to the res and pressurized it but the brake pedal seems a bit spongy , have not got any seats so can't take it for a spin to test them ,anyway i got the engine running ,3rd turn over :laugh: so i thought i would take a few pictures to celebrate, checked the camber and am running -2.5 and -3 at the back so it's out with file tommorow to get them down to -1.5 , also got the door panels back ,looking good :eek:

starmember March 1st 2006 13:43

Didn't you want to use a inter-cooler or charge cooler.

But it really looks clean nice job :agree:

speedy March 2nd 2006 15:35

to be honest there was no room for a n intercooler in the back away from the heat ,having it sat next to the exhaust was pointless , so i am going down the chargecooler route , as we speak i am scouring e bay etc looking for a suitable example at the right price :D , don't suppose you know of any reasonably priced examples as in britain they are £450-650 :eek:

beetle1303 March 3rd 2006 19:45

Thats a really nice ride. Congrats
One question though... Will your starter motor survive the heat from the exhaust system? or are you plaing on some kind of cover plate or insulation?

Chris

bucket March 4th 2006 04:40

Ok so I have been out of the hole VW loop for a will. right know I have a 91 toyota MR2 n/a. I was thinken about doing a turbo swap but I really want to get back in to GL bugs. ( had a 72 sup. with a 1835) I was thinken about using my toy as a daily deiver. but I was woundering how much HP a turbo type 1 and type4 made. sorry for the thread high jack.
edit: I was also woundering if any body ran water to air inter coolers. they work great and they can be small. And the setup is simple.
Chris

speedy March 4th 2006 09:26

Thats a really nice ride. Congrats
One question though... Will your starter motor survive the heat from the exhaust system? or are you plaing on some kind of cover plate or insulation?

Chris
when i get a bit more moola i am after a small high torque starter , it should be far enough away to not be troubled by the heat , at the moment it has a bus starter on it and it is massive .
type 1 turbo motors can run anything from 140 to 550 hp depends how reliable you want the motor ergo how much money you want to spend , but a good reliable turbo motor with minimum maintenance should kick out 200bhp, my last one did and that was a daily driver