GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   a possible road race event? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3084)

kenfyoozed October 12th 2003 11:42

a possible road race event?

hello, i was wondering what everyone thought about a road race event. possibly a show and shine with a race for different clases. theres a new course in b'ham area. i think its called barbers? its new built like a year ago. i heard about at the talledaga race in april.

just thought it would be cool to host something like this and invite all of the acvw clubs in the southeast.

sorry bout noy being a member yet, but soon. want my car first. out with the wrecked in with the new.

thanks

neil

zen October 12th 2003 21:37

great thought. joe and i have talked quite a bit about that for some time. it is too early for us to do something like that though. too few members, to few VWs in the south interested in road racing. they all like going in straight lines or towing their cars :rolleyes: , and most porsches guys aren't interested in attending VW events. not to mention the cost of insurance, etc.

we will be doing it sometime in the future though. we have some ideas, just need the people and $.

in the meantime, i strongly encourge the VKG to attend euro car shows, porsches car shows, etc that do autocross as well as SCCA events. that is the stuff i will be doing when my car is done. as a matter of fact, the euro 2003 is at the BMW plant next weekend. it happens to be on the same day as petite le mans though, so i will not be making it.

Massive Type IV October 13th 2003 11:44

Sounds great.....I'd sponsor it.

zen October 13th 2003 21:46

well who else would we have in mind?:D ;)

sponsors can't win though!:silly: or rearend the guy in front of them trying to take the inside line.

kenfyoozed October 13th 2003 22:08

what about other vendors who sale the things all gls need. wheels, brakes, turbos, fiber parts, even south east shops that do repair work. also what about just all the clubs. sevwc could help. start small do it anually and let it grow.

neil

southeastvw October 13th 2003 22:20

Well Neil, that is a good idea and I know Jake has talked about it before. But planning such an event, does cost and has to be well planned out. Many of our SEVWC members are not in to such a thing, so they most likely wouldn't even be remotely interested.
I do several shows a year and I can imagine that a road race event, would take even more then the ones I do.

zen October 14th 2003 13:39

so was that you volunteering kathy? :D

like i said, it is something i want to do within the next couple of years, but it is just too early to do an event like this. my desire is for it to be a VW/Porsche event or all euro cars.

chigger October 26th 2003 20:28

Getting into racing can be a bit expensive with the insurance and all. Perhaps not a road course but a figure eight course with the circles fifty foot in diameter. At 28 mph you can generate 1 g-force. It could be a start and everyone could set up their cars properly to handle. It would be good for bragging rights, but not very dangerous or require much territory. Just a thought.

NO_H2O October 27th 2003 19:39

How about an autocross for starters? All you need is a parking lot some cones and a stop watch. I think more people would give it a try, rubbing cones is cheaper the rubbing fenders, and the use of a parking lot would be cheaper than say Road Atlanta.

vujade October 28th 2003 09:06

dave, an autocross sounds like the ticket...

kenfyoozed October 28th 2003 15:13

i agree, it does sound cheaper and easier. but could it be done?

Massive Type IV November 5th 2003 02:16

Like I said, I'll sponsor it.......

Hey Zen, get the hell out of my way and you don't have to be worried about getting clipped or rear ended...LOL